I am trying to set up a 7 string as GCGCFAD, and I was thinking about using a pack of 13-56s, with a 70 for the bottom G. Anyone done this, and does it work well? What strings do you buy? I was thinking about just getting single 70s. Also, if I do this, will I have to adjust the neck, and what would happen if I didn't adjust the neck?

Also, anyone play a Hellraiser 7 with a floyd, and how does the tone compare to the Hellraiser 7 without a floyd? Is the floyd usable on a 7 string? I have heard that there is too much string tension to make it usable, but not sure.

Cheers!
Ask in the 7 String Legion.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1356444

EDIT: There are a few guys with the Hellraiser and plenty who can help with gauges.
Last edited by CamaroEric+ at Sep 13, 2010,
I'm pretty sure Devin Townsend uses a .60 for his low G on a 27"scale length guitar, so I would try that at the very least, since you have a slightly shorter scale length.

Let me just throw this edit in here: If you're making a huge change from your previous tuning, I would take your guitar to a shop so they can set up your floyd and neck properly.
Agile Intrepid Pro 828 Natural w/ Maple fretboard
Agile Hornet 7 w/ custom steel pickguard
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier w/ 2x12 G12T-75 cab
Maxon OD808
Boss HM-2
Last edited by Everblack at Sep 13, 2010,
So many questions lol

1: Work well for what? string tension is a taste thing really. I use 70'' for F# @27'' so it sounds pretty good to me. Truss rod adjustment would depend again on what kind of action you like, what kind of buzz you're willing to tolerate, and what your prior tuning was.

2: I can't imagine there'd be much difference tone wise to the floyded and TOM version. And of course a floyd works on seven, otherwise they wouldn't make them, would they
By "work well" I meant is the tension tight enough, or would I need thicker? I am pretty happy with a 13-56 set for CGCFAD but honestly I feel like the 56 is almost too loose for the low C. I want a low G that doesn't flop around. I have played a 6 string that was in A that used a 70, and that felt pretty good, but just wondering what your personal experience has been. If you were using a 70 for f# and 27", I am pretty sure a 70 for G at 26.5" should be great. Do you buy single 70s or what?

I have heard that floyds don't sound as good as string through body, but I have never had a chance to do a side by side comparison. Anyone done that?

Of course it works, but how usable is it? Is there too much string tension to pull up much? Obviously this is very subjective, but I want to get some sort of idea of how usable it is.

Thanks everyone!
11's and 12's can reach drop C fine 13's may be a bit overkill. I'm unsure what gauge you'd use for low G though.
Again, I can't tell what's tight enough for you. Try it out, and if it doesn't work change the gauge. Trail and error until you get what you want.

I buy single everything actually. Can't remember the actual gauges right now, but it's basically an 09 set with some slight variations, then a single 52'' for the low B and single 70''(bass) for the F#.

I haven't heard it should sound 'better', but the general consensus afaik is that floyded guitars have a little less sustain.

And how your floyd works depends a whole lot on how you set it up. You can set it up to handle almost anything, I'd say.

Sikth tune(ed) to GGCFAD with floyded guitars, and it was all good-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23RXfdCHBAU

I've no idea what gauge they used for it however.
i use a 72-75 for G on a 25 inch scale and i like alot of tension, so i think a 72 will be fien for ye
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by kerryhall
Thanks again for the help!

So you guys buy something like this?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/D%27Addario-XLB070-Bass-Nickel-Single-Strings?sku=104470&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26017155

Never had to buy strings like this before haha.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

dont buy bass strings XD

they sell single guitar strings in those sizes. but the only one if seen with a wide selection (if you can even find em on a site) is here

www.bigcitystrings.com/7string.htm

EDIT: also apparently juststrings.com has 7th string singles too.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Sep 13, 2010,
^agreed, if you can find guitar strings in that gauge, they're probably cheaper, and would sound better. I only use bass strings because I'm still fine tuning my setup so I can't afford buying in bulks yet (and where I live, I'll have to to make it worth the cost)
Christain Olde Wolbers uses a 72. It's funny because he suggested it to the guy from Deftones and he said "Dude you're crazy, that's a bass string!" And now he's using an 8 string...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Våd Hamster
Again, I can't tell what's tight enough for you. Try it out, and if it doesn't work change the gauge. Trail and error until you get what you want.

I buy single everything actually. Can't remember the actual gauges right now, but it's basically an 09 set with some slight variations, then a single 52'' for the low B and single 70''(bass) for the F#.

I haven't heard it should sound 'better', but the general consensus afaik is that floyded guitars have a little less sustain.

And how your floyd works depends a whole lot on how you set it up. You can set it up to handle almost anything, I'd say.

Sikth tune(ed) to GGCFAD with floyded guitars, and it was all good-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23RXfdCHBAU

I've no idea what gauge they used for it however.

What...?

Pin plays a Blackmachine and as far as I know they've never made one with a floyd. Dan played a PRS CU22 or CU24 and as far I know those don't come with floyds ever.

Tr00f: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-8aipuDILs
Quote by enselmis
What...?

Pin plays a Blackmachine and as far as I know they've never made one with a floyd. Dan played a PRS CU22 or CU24 and as far I know those don't come with floyds ever.

Tr00f: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-8aipuDILs

Not that this actually disproves anything you've said but Pin used a Parker for a while and Dan used what looks from the video like an ESP Viper.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well I have no real proof of my claim, but I always thought DOADD was littered with trem wizardry, but then again they aren't known for their conventional playing- could of course just be pure skillz.

0:31 on the link I posted does sound like a divebomb to me though.

VÅDIT and returning to the central argument, Scar Symmetry has a tremmed guitar in some low loltuning, but initially I didn't want to bring this one up because I hate their tone >_>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKOHah6y1OQ
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Sep 13, 2010,
Uhm... Andreas Kisser... Bb standard, Fender Strats with trems?

Sound familiar to anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hUM2YH41jE

I miss Max though

Give me about 20 minutes and I'll tell you what string gauge he used at that time.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Because they're not made for the same frequency response as guitar- they'll have less 'definition' to them, and will sound different from the rest of your strings.
Andreas uses 13-56 in Bb on his standard scale Floyd-equipped Strat x_x

Stupid name.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Well I have no real proof of my claim, but I always thought DOADD was littered with trem wizardry, but then again they aren't known for their conventional playing- could of course just be pure skillz.

0:31 on the link I posted does sound like a divebomb to me though.

Loose string + bigass pre-bend, not a trem dive unfortunately.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Wizardry!

Well guess I better chomp my words then lol. But my original point still stands
Quote by Våd Hamster
Wizardry!

Well guess I better chomp my words then lol. But my original point still stands

While I'm being as picky as I am I'm also going to point out that Sikth tuned half a step down, not a full step so it would have been G# and so on

But yes, you're right, tuning that low with a floyd type trem works fine, I know because I do

7 string drop G ftw!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
V. Hamster: Once again, refer to my vid Minimal flub. Loose, but he plays Mesas...

Speaking of Drop G, my friend's deathcore band tuned to that and they both played Floyd equipped guitars (a Jackson Dinky and Dean Razorback).

That WAS a little flubby though But it was a decent band.

Stupid name.

Can someone point me to a good link where I can get single 70-75s? I've been looking but cant find em. Can only find bass strings. Thanks!
Quote by kerryhall
Can someone point me to a good link where I can get single 70-75s? I've been looking but cant find em. Can only find bass strings. Thanks!

Check above, in my previous post

Quote by kerryhall

Why not use bass strings? I think I want something like

bass strings are manufactured differently, hence why a 75w bass string (A) is only moderately loose/tight in such a LONG scale (as we know if you keep the same note but increase the scale length the tension increases) wont be the same on a guitar.

also you should lighten up a bit as you have a 26.5incher not a 25.5 maybe take the A to 48 and the E to 60. just an idea, otherwise it will have more tension on the low end regardless of your drop tuning

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by Deadlock Riff
Check above, in my previous post

bass strings are manufactured differently, hence why a 75w bass string (A) is only moderately loose/tight in such a LONG scale (as we know if you keep the same note but increase the scale length the tension increases) wont be the same on a guitar.

also you should lighten up a bit as you have a 26.5incher not a 25.5 maybe take the A to 48 and the E to 60. just an idea, otherwise it will have more tension on the low end regardless of your drop tuning

Haha, sorry, I totally missed that link you posted. Thanks for posting that! Exactly what I needed!

Hmmm maybe I'll just go with

Just to keep things simple, as I can buy a pack for the top 6, then a single 70 for the bottom. I would like a bit heavier for the bottom and a bit lighter for the top, but I don't think I want to try and get a bunch of singles to make that happen, lol.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Not that this actually disproves anything you've said but Pin used a Parker for a while and Dan used what looks from the video like an ESP Viper.

According to the SikTh forum, it's in fact a PRS.

You're right, he used a Parker. I think there's a video or two of Leah from Aliases demo'ing songs with it.

Edit: This one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMcsLg1RgEE

Edit 2: http://www.garrygoodman.com/octave4plus.com.htm

You can get anything you want from there.
Last edited by enselmis at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by enselmis
According to the SikTh forum, it's in fact a PRS.

You're right, he used a Parker. I think there's a video or two of Leah from Aliases demo'ing songs with it.

Edit: This one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMcsLg1RgEE

Edit 2: http://www.garrygoodman.com/octave4plus.com.htm

You can get anything you want from there.

The fact that this tune is in Open C only proves exactly how awesome Pin is. Leah also has some pretty scary chops.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.