Page 1 of 4
This is my second guitar build. I learned quite a bit from my mistakes on my first build. I'm doing this one at school again.

Specifications:
- Soloist Shape
- Graphite Nut
- 25.5" scale
- Rosewood Fretboard
- 24 frets
- Frets 21 - 24 will be scalloped
- Sharkfin Inlays
- Bolt on with AANJ and Jackson styled contoured heel.
- Honduran mahogany body
- maple veneer on body and headstock
- Tune o matic bridge (recessed)
- Black hardware
- Pickups H-S configuration Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge and Dimarzio Air Norton S in the Neck
- Push/ push pot for pickup switching
- Finish: black stain sanded back with added purple stain on top. Blackburst around the edges.
-Neck will be painted black
-back of the body will be painted black, too.

I ordered all my hardware, grain filler, stain, and the neck from Warmoth, Guitarfetish and Woodessence.

I think my guitarfetish parts will arrive tommorow, so I'm going to be preping the neck for paint and scalloping frets first. (Don't worry, I'll take plenty of pictures along the way. ) So in around 2 weeks, I'll have enough money for the mahogany and a couple of other painting supplies. Then, I'll work on the body.

So, yeah that's it. Any questions, comments or concerns?
Last edited by guitaristren at Dec 13, 2010,
A push/pull pot to switch the pickups? Dude, that's awesome. I've never heard of that before.
Also, looks like it will be an awesome guitar. I think I'll go check out your other build..
EDIT: Nevermind I thought the link in your Sig would be to your other build, but it's this one. Did you happen to put the other build on here? I love reading through those and watching the process.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Sep 13, 2010,
I am just wondering. Is the push/pull switch something that is easier to wire or do you just prefere it instead of a regular pickup switch?
Looks nice except I don't dig the color but then again it's not my guitar - so whatever floats your boat .
Alright people, Move along - there is nothing to see.
"Or so you think..."
Looks amazing, hope it goes well for you.
You mention a push-pull pot for pickup switching, does that mean you wouldnt be able to use both pickups together?
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by TheAbsentOne
A push/pull pot to switch the pickups? Dude, that's awesome. I've never heard of that before.
Also, looks like it will be an awesome guitar. I think I'll go check out your other build..
EDIT: Nevermind I thought the link in your Sig would be to your other build, but it's this one. Did you happen to put the other build on here? I love reading through those and watching the process.

Wow, that was fast. Lol. It's a push/ push pot so instead of up and down like a normal push/ pull. You would push it once, switches pickups. Push it again, and back to the first pickup.

My first build was kind of rushed so the outcome wasn't too great. And I was banned from here while working on it. But yeah, there's a thread on it somewhere.

Quote by TomG10-7
Looks amazing, hope it goes well for you.
You mention a push-pull pot for pickup switching, does that mean you wouldnt be able to use both pickups together?

Unfortunately, no I will not be able to use them together. I was going for kind of a simple one-knob, 80's style shred guitar.
Last edited by guitaristren at Sep 13, 2010,
Minor Update:

A package came in the mail today.

What could this be?

It's from woodessence.com! Grain filler for the mahogany. Smalls bottles of dye (blue, red, black, amber and yellow), a large bottle of dye (purple) and some Mirka wet sandpaper (made in Finland ) grits 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000.

The guitarfetish stuff may arrive later today or tommorow (I hope) then this build will really kick off once I get the neck *sigh*. The Warmoth package may arrive maybe later this week.
Last edited by guitaristren at Sep 18, 2010,
Major Update:

Hory Shit!

It's from Warmoth and Guitarfetish.

Warmoth Stuff Hardware: Tune O matic bridge, screws, strap buttons, jack plate, ferrules, pickup ring and a volume knob.

Guitarfetish: Neck, graphite nuts, tuners, pickguard blank (for cavity plate and truss rod cover).

Graphite nut.

There's a little bump because it was designed for locking nuts. I'll have to file that down so that veneer doesn't look funny.

Sanding off the paint so I can glue a flamed maple veneer.
Last edited by guitaristren at Sep 15, 2010,

All done! Paint, you were a worthy adversary.

Filed it down, now the veneer will glue smoothly without that bump.

The headstock is slightly bigger than a standard Jackson headstock.

So I used a keyhole saw and sandpaper. Now it's the exact same size as a Jackson headstock.

The neck profile is a real baseball bat so I'm going to file down tommorow.

All set for scalloping tommorow.

Any questions, comments or concerns?
Last edited by guitaristren at Sep 16, 2010,
Updates:

Scalloping....

All four scalloped

Sanded down the baseball bat. Now it's Ibanez thin.

Clamping the veneer

All cut.

Black stain.

Sanded some of it back.

Purple stain. (It's still wet, that's why it's blotchy.

Ready for sanding sealer.

Can people actually post in here so I know this thread isn't dead? (please? )
Last edited by guitaristren at Sep 18, 2010,
This sounds jawesome. i ****ing love purple guitars.

I promise i'm no homo
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Keep going man, I'm watching. I am not into that style of guitar but I love watching your progress. It is teaching me. You're kicking ass.
Quote by Dio10101
Looks cool so far.

Thanks.

Quote by conor1148
This sounds jawesome. i ****ing love purple guitars.

I promise i'm no homo

Same. I like them because there aren't too many of them, it makes them unique.

And, same again, for the no homo part.

Quote by cloud8a
Keep going man, I'm watching. I am not into that style of guitar but I love watching your progress. It is teaching me. You're kicking ass.

Thanks, it means a lot, it really does.
Quote by guitaristren

Same. I like them because there aren't too many of them, it makes them unique.

And, same again, for the no homo part.

oh yes! especially on those old herman ri EGENs. hate the guy, LOVE the color.

same with transparent green finishes
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148
oh yes! especially on those old herman ri EGENs. hate the guy, LOVE the color.

same with transparent green finishes

Agreed, a lot of transparent stained colours look nice, it really brings out the flames/ grain. Have you seen the EGEN8? It's not stained at all and it looks pretty nice too. Shame it's not a prestige.

EDIT: I have a question. Because I'm using sanding sealer on the headstock and painting the back of the neck black, should I use sanding sealer or primer underneath the colour coats?
Quote by salgala2000
alive thread is alive

Thanks!

EDIT: does someone know the answer to my question or should I take it to the refinishing thread?
Bump, does anyone know the answer to my question? I need to know, sanding sealer or primer for the back of the neck.
Quote by guitaristren
Bump, does anyone know the answer to my question? I need to know, sanding sealer or primer for the back of the neck.

In theory you could use both, but Maple is pretty tight grained so you might get away with just primer. It won't hurt if you do go with both though.
Looks like its going good so far. I too like the color, especially if it comes out like your concept pic.(I am working on a purpleheart flying SG ) I can dig only wanting one knob on the face of the guitar.

Keep up the good work,
Jake
Luna Phoenix, Kustom II bass amp, generic 15" PA speaker
"Magic Man", unknown old bass, mid 70`s Jap import

It`s my guitar, and if you don`t like it, well I don`t care if you like it now do I?
Quote by lostcreation333
In theory you could use both, but Maple is pretty tight grained so you might get away with just primer. It won't hurt if you do go with both though.

Alright, I'll go with sanding sealer on the stained part and primer for the back of the neck. Thanks for clearing it up.

Quote by Valkyrie_Design
Looks like its going good so far. I too like the color, especially if it comes out like your concept pic.(I am working on a purpleheart flying SG ) I can dig only wanting one knob on the face of the guitar.

Keep up the good work,
Jake

Thanks! A purpleheart flying SG, so like a Dean Splittail? That's awesome, I'll go check it out.
UPDATES:

Here's what I got done this afternoon and evening:

I decided to skip sanding sealer because I couldn't find any here in Canada.
I used Duplicolor Acrylic lacquer, real good paint.

I painted the back black, it's glossy without even buffing it.

And added a lot of clear coat, now the purple shows nicely. The white binding shows really well with the black paint.

I'm going to keep it in my basement while I wait for a week before I wetsand (plus it smells awful). Then, once I'm done with the neck, it's time to build the body.

Sorry I couldn't get any decent pics, I was confined in my basement.
Last edited by guitaristren at Sep 22, 2010,
dang bro, this is looking awesome.
Gear:

Yamaha RBX 550

Hartke Model 5000

Quote by the humanity
unless you are 21st level, you are not having epic problems.
Dude, you shouldn't drink coke...

on topic: I like it very much, big fan of the black neck and white binding, but i dunno about the purple... It has potential, i'll give you that!
Gear:
Kramer Pacer Custom 1 -87
Laney GH50L
Esp ltd mh250nt
Roland MicroCube

Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by RepBassCS
dang bro, this is looking awesome.

Quote by Levi79
Wow man, that neck looks amazing! Subbed.

Aww, sweet! Thanks!

Quote by Palkom
Dude, you shouldn't drink coke...

on topic: I like it very much, big fan of the black neck and white binding, but i dunno about the purple... It has potential, i'll give you that!

Yeah, purple isn't for everyone I guess.
MORE UPDATES:

After hours of wet sanding and polishing.

You can see the trees up top!

Here's a nice shot of the purple. I'm glad the flame shows up.

I used this Meguairs stuff and a microfiber cloth.

Dropped a string nut in.....

And I'm done with the neck!
Last edited by guitaristren at Sep 25, 2010,
Sweet! Looks very good so far. Quick question, does the neck seem to be good? I am going to be getting a Jackson neck here before soon, and I might get it there.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by the1967mustang
Sweet! Looks very good so far. Quick question, does the neck seem to be good? I am going to be getting a Jackson neck here before soon, and I might get it there.

Well, it's a guitarfetish neck. It was good for the price of course but you get what you pay for. It was only $50 bucks. The cool thing is that you can do whatever you want really, like I sanded it, stained and painted it without the worry of messing up a fancy neck. You know?
MORE UPDATES:

So last night I went to a local exotic woods store and they have a whole section for insrument building full of huge blanks. They even have templates of guitar shapes to make sure you have enough room on your blank. I settled with African mahogany becasue Honduran mahogany is double the price. Oh well, no big deal.

All I have to do is trace my good ol' Charvel.

Spent all night doing this.

This morning:
I cut out the shape using a bandsaw at school. It had a new blade so it cut through amazingly fast. It's just a rough shaping cut. I'm going to clean it up using an oscillating sander. Unfortunately, the school's oscillating sander was broken today.

Twins.

Once I got home: I gave the neck a final polish and installed tuners.
Last edited by guitaristren at Sep 29, 2010,
looking good man
I Am Hated
7 String Legion

Ibanez RG1527 prestige (BKP Aftermath)
Ibanez MTM2 black (rockmonkey SoB)
Ibanez MTM2 white (Blackout AHB-3)
Squier "custom" strat (Hot Slag)
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w 112
Pitchblack
TS-9
NS-2
MXR 10 band eq
let's trade schools for the day, both our bandsaws are not working, but our oscillating sanders just spinning away

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by 2841981
looking good man

Sweet thanks. : )

Quote by Levi79
That's sick bro!!!
Stoked to see how this turns out!

Why thank you. Me too, I hope I don't mess it up.

Quote by MonkeyLink07
let's trade schools for the day, both our bandsaws are not working, but our oscillating sanders just spinning away

Sounds very tempting... It's quite a bummer sometimes, school equipment. But it's better than spending money to buy your own, that's for sure.

Anyhoo, I took the body to a belt sander to clean up the edges but I still need that oscillating sander for the inside of the horns.

The sides are so smooth now.

Got started on the elbow contour. It's a little crude so far, I know.

Stuff to do tommorow and weekend:
- Finish elbow contour
- Tummy contour
- Make a neck pocket template
- Use the oscillating sander for the inside of the horns. If it's still broken I'll just get a sanding drum and stick it into a drill press.
- Get 1/8 inch round over bit for the edge of the body. The edges really need to be rounded over.
- Rout Neck pocket.
Last edited by guitaristren at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by Levi79
It might just be me, but that body seems kind of thick almost.

Nah, it's two inches exactly. I think I might keep it this way for the mahogany toanz.
Page 1 of 4