first off, can the original be removed at all without compromising the neck? secondly, where would be a good place to take this project (southern california los angeles south bay area) and finally, how much should i expect the process to cost (excluding materials, just the actual modification?) this will include fretwire installation.
thanks for any help
Quote by Magero
I am a deathcore musician. I am above mere mortal minds.
In general, it is easier and cheaper to replace the whole neck versus a new fretboard.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
What is so wrong with your fretboard, that it needs to be replaced?

Would de-fretting, sanding smooth/radiusing and then re-fretting achieve what you want?

You should expect to pay a considerable amount for all of that work to be done if you have anew fretboard. Considerably less if you choose the other method.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
For the amount of work you would end up putting into this, it would not be worth it. Just get a new neck.
I've seen some videos of people removing fingerboards, and it's a long daunting process, doesn't look worth it unless you're taking the fretboard off for a reason (Such as the guitar you removed it from was junk anyways and you're using bits and pieces for a custom build..)
consensus seems to be "not worth it"
the main task is that i need to re-fret what i've got, but at the same time i'd like an ebony fretboard (as opposed to rosewood)
and yeah, i would be okay with just getting a straight up new neck, in which case i could just screw the thing on myself. thanks everyone for your help.
Quote by Magero
I am a deathcore musician. I am above mere mortal minds.
Quote by ambivalent615
consensus seems to be "not worth it"
the main task is that i need to re-fret what i've got, but at the same time i'd like an ebony fretboard (as opposed to rosewood)
and yeah, i would be okay with just getting a straight up new neck, in which case i could just screw the thing on myself. thanks everyone for your help.

No reason why you couldn't stain the neck black.

Ebony is very rarely fully black, and often has some streaks in it...manufacturers stain ebony fretboards for uniformity.

So why not clean the board with a scotch pad and some lighter fuel, then stain it black...then oil it up?

De-fret it, sand the radius back in and smooth up the board, then stain it and refret it.

Also, to the "get a new neck" crew. How did you know he doesn't have a neckthrough or set neck guitar?

Until he said so...
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 13, 2010,
As you would be paying somebody to do all this work a new neck would be cheaper.

Not sure where this idea its a monumental task to remove a fretboard come from. Cost me 9$ for an iron at walmart and about an hour to remove an ebony fretboard from a neck thru guitar. Wasn't that hard to glue on a maple blank, shape it, fret it with stainless frets. But I have all the tools and am not paying anybody for the work.
And if you hadn't had the tools it probably would have cost a little more. And you don't really count anyways.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!