Hey, all

I've been scolded a few times by my guitar tutor for my vibrato. I've been doing it in the correct direction (Across the neck, inside the fret, as opposed to horizontally, along the neck), but I've been doing it using my fingers, as opposed to doing it from my wrist, as my guitar tutor, and, indeed, every other guitarist, seems to xD I've been trying to do it from the wrist, but I've been finding it difficult. Could anyone suggest a practice/ song that could better my technique?

Thanks
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by HeretiK538

I've been doing it using my fingers, as opposed to doing it from my wrist

I use my fingers to do it instead of my wrist (90% of the time) and I've had no problems.

I'd probably say instead of sharp vibrato get used to bending from the wrist first, it'll help ease you into using your wrist more.

Just an opinion from myself, everyone plays differently.
*shrugs* I use my fingers and it works perfectly well for me.

Many people will swear by certain techniques, but ultimatley it's whatever works for YOU. I think it was Paul Gilbert who said "If it looks good, sounds good and works good- it's good!"
I find, albeit in ultra-slow motion, that vibrato-ing as my guitar teacher is telling me to, is more consistant and controlled, than my current solution. He generally subscribes to that it doesn't matter what technique you end up sticking to, as long as you can get the hang of all of them, to stay versatile
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
I think vibrato is one of the most personal aspects of a guitarist's playing...it really is a case of figuring out what works best for you. I tend to favour finger vibrato over wrist, i end up doing some weird bastardised quasi-classical style vibrato, but the important thing is that I like the way it sounds
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
How the hell do you fret a string using your wrist!?!?!!

Seriously though I used my finger and all of a sudden as I got better I started using my wrist and It's improved my vibrato greatly... Kind of happened naturally though
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Quote by HeretiK538
Could anyone suggest a practice/ song that could better my technique?

Anything. Ever. As long as you watch your vibrato when you're doing it you'll be fine.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by HeretiK538
Hey, all

I've been scolded a few times by my guitar tutor for my vibrato. I've been doing it in the correct direction (Across the neck, inside the fret, as opposed to horizontally, along the neck), but I've been doing it using my fingers, as opposed to doing it from my wrist, as my guitar tutor, and, indeed, every other guitarist, seems to xD I've been trying to do it from the wrist, but I've been finding it difficult. Could anyone suggest a practice/ song that could better my technique?

Thanks

Farewell Ballad by Zakk Wylde.
any song by gary moore, and also "lebron" by buckethead and the leads in "lotus island" by buckethead.
Zakk Wylde will help your vibrato. He's pretty sick! Also try to do it slowly in this manner:
First fret the note
Second pick the note
Third pump your wrist whilst having 1 or 2 fingers for support
Fourth Twist it going from a certain pitch like a semitone back to the normal note then back to the semitone etc etc.
To get the idea before you do the vibrato first pick the note you want then the note which is a semitone further. After that slowly bend the note until you reach the same note than return it to normal position. Pick again, bend again, return. This is to get the idea of twisting your wrist. After that just practice doing this faster until you get your speed