Apologies for asking a similar question to one I posted before: if you are familiar with the Peavey Windsor, you know it doesn't have a clean channel. If I use a tube powered pre-amp with a clean channel, and use the Windsor's fx loop as a power amp, how will this sound? Is this preferable to a solid state power amp, such as a Rocktron Velocity or a Marshall 8008? Thanks!
Try it and see if it would sound right to YOU.

Who cares if it's "preferable" or not?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
It'll work - whether it sounds GOOD or not is your call.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Thanks - by good I mean "warm, organic, not sterile, dynamic." I'm also in search of an 80's tone - Dokken, Ratt, etc.
A good amount of the tone would also be coming from the preamp. You said you wanted something tube, but did you have anything specific in mind?
Axe-FX Standard
I have a Peavey Rockmaster pre-amp, which I'm happy with. I am debating whether or not to run it through a Peavey Windsor or a solid state power amp. Given I couldn't afford a nice tube power amp, I thought getting a tube head might give me the sound without the cost.

Quote by DrNick
A good amount of the tone would also be coming from the preamp. You said you wanted something tube, but did you have anything specific in mind?
I was also thinking of the Crate Power Block head, if anyone has experience of it.
Don't have experience with the Crate or the other two, sorry.

In my opinion, even if the Windsor is cheaper than a tube power amp, it'd just be a waste to be buying that whole thing just for the sake of using the power section. I was under the impression that you had the Windsor already. Since you don't, don't buy it.

I'm not 100% sure about the power amps you listed but I do know that there ARE solid state power amps that have good tone. Read up on some reviews and listen to demos and judge for yourself.
Axe-FX Standard
No, looking into the Windsor - I have the tube powered Rockmaster. Thanks for advice. But why would it be a waste - would it not give me a warm tone using the Rockmaster as my preamp, or not?

Quote by DrNick
Don't have experience with the Crate or the other two, sorry.

In my opinion, even if the Windsor is cheaper than a tube power amp, it'd just be a waste to be buying that whole thing just for the sake of using the power section. I was under the impression that you had the Windsor already. Since you don't, don't buy it.

I'm not 100% sure about the power amps you listed but I do know that there ARE solid state power amps that have good tone. Read up on some reviews and listen to demos and judge for yourself.
You could get a EHX 22 Caliber or 44 Magnum, seems like it would be easier if you just need a power amp.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
You could buy a nice clean tube amp with an
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Is there something missing here or was it meant to spiral into nothingness?

Quote by JoePerry4life
You could buy a nice clean tube amp with an
i used the windsor with my mesa mark 1 pre the other day and it sounded just fine.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
I would say very much so.

The Windsor's got a power section well suited to power amp use (bags of volume and headroom but still with a bit of warmth), and should work very nicely given the right speakers.
Thanks, given I'll only be using this at home, the speaker would be a Marshall 1912 1x12 cab.

BTW anyone tried a Marshall 9005 power amp?

Quote by kyle62
I would say very much so.

The Windsor's got a power section well suited to power amp use (bags of volume and headroom but still with a bit of warmth), and should work very nicely given the right speakers.
I know a couple people who use the windsor as a power amp. You can pick them up for $150 used...that's cheap for a 120 watt EL34 power amp
Sounds like a good idea to me. I use the Tweaker's power amp with my GNX4, bypassing the preamp. There are some cheap older Peavey's that have a SS preamp and 6L6 power tubes. I've heard they are great for just using the power amp.
Tried putting my engl 530 through the windsor and it sounded thin and lifeless, sounded much better through my bugera using the tubes from the windsor, so I concluded the windsor's fx loop is shit.
I let the Windsor go. I read too many inconsistent things. If I opt for a tube head as a power amp, then I'll now likely go for a Laney AOR or a Randall RM-50. Anyone got any thoughts on these bad boys?