I'm looking for opinions on UG's favorite speakers/speaker combinations. I'm doing research on a bunch of possibilities since I plan on making my own 4x12 cab sometimes.

List off any that you personally like or have heard to be great, regardless of price. I'll be looking into each one mentioned to obviously see if it might be in my interest to get.
inb4 vintage 30
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
*lurk*

I'm in the market for speakers too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Personally, I think the Celestion Blue is a fantastic speaker.

Along with the Seventy80 as a brilliant budget speaker.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
So far I've found a lot of threads mentioning vintage 30s and greenbacks in combo but not much else is lying around the site =\
hence my "inb4"

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Scotsman24`
So far I've found a lot of threads mentioning vintage 30s and greenbacks in combo but not much else is lying around the site =\

Because, usually, it's what a famous artist uses & everyone jumps on the bandwagon and haven't actually tried different speakers.

It's not always the case, but more often than not, is.

My favourite speaker is some model from Eminence, I got it for free & it has a fantastic bottom & top end, I don't even actually know the RMS/Max-Watt or Ohm's on it :/
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
they design cabs around v30s. you cant go wrong with them.
its the standard. the range is tailored for the cut in recording or live situations.
ah don't worry so much about the specifics on the speakers like the watts and RMS, I'll worry about those during the deciding phase. I'm here asking purely for tone opinions.

I'm asking for all opinions, but if it helps some people to speak up I'll mention that I mostly play alternative, metal, and progressive metal. I delve into other genre's of course, but that's just mainly what my band plays.

btw for darkarbiter I found this collecting dust at the back of this forum. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=823671
Eminence Texas Heats.......but i heard Comboing Texas Heats and Eminence Swamp Thangs are really good.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by Scotsman24`

btw for darkarbiter I found this collecting dust at the back of this forum. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=823671

Yeah, I've posted in there a few times, but now it's pretty much a dead thread.

I know something by Eminence would do the trick, but i'm looking into options.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Ok...that helps.

I was going to say the thread is kinda useless unless we know what tones you are after- or people state what they play most etc.

I play stuff similar to you and have a Celestion G12H30 and Classic Lead 80 in my 212 close back and I have more lower mids and bass than I know what to do with.....that is a good thing btw
People suggest V30s and Greenbacks for more reasons than just because famous artists use them. They use them because they're actually pretty good speakers, which is also the main reason many cab makers use them.

But don't let that affect decision making. Good tone is subjective, always. Eminence's website has a ton of sound samples for all their speakers, I'd probably go there and not care what anyone else has to say about my favorite.
I'm going to be putting a wizard/swamp thang in my 2x12 combo. Should sound pretty good, the wizard is pretty much a G12H30 clone I believe, and the swamp thang should give me tons of lows and highs. Anyone know what the swamp thang is, in celestion?

EDIT: My research says that the Swamp Thang is closest to the G12K100.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I'm going to be putting a wizard/swamp thang in my 2x12 combo. Should sound pretty good, the wizard is pretty much a G12H30 clone I believe, and the swamp thang should give me tons of lows and highs. Anyone know what the swamp thang is, in celestion?

Swamp thing is an Emenience speaker, a very good speaker none the less.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Swamp thing is an Emenience speaker, a very good speaker none the less.

He was asking what the Celestion equivalent is (if any). Many Eminence speakers are Celestion clones.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I highly doubt that. Celestions are over priced anyways, go with WGS speakers.

He edited his post. It shows what the Celestion equivalent is.
This video helped me out alot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI

They compare most popular speakers on a rhythm and lead basis. Even tone tubby.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Last edited by Funk Monk at Sep 15, 2010,
nice find Funk Monk. I really like that Jensen Alnico 12. Another company to look into :P
Quote by Scotsman24`
I'm looking for opinions on UG's favorite speakers/speaker combinations. I'm doing research on a bunch of possibilities since I plan on making my own 4x12 cab sometimes.

List off any that you personally like or have heard to be great, regardless of price. I'll be looking into each one mentioned to obviously see if it might be in my interest to get.

I run two Cab's in parallel...

The first is a Dr Z 2x10 Cab, with the Dr's custom speakers installed. I believe it is loosely based on an Eminence Vintage 10, and said to have a much better overall tone and response. I would describe them as mid-range heavy, with a snappy response. The speakers are rated at 70 watts each. The 2x10 Cab is rated at 140 watts, and 102 dB.
The Dr's 2x10 Cab, with it's stock speakers, has numerous fans. I am one of them...

I also run a 1x12 Z Cab with a Celestion Blue in it. I love the Blue already, and it still needs more break-in time. I have seen it posted all over the net that Blues do get better with time. I can't wait. The Blue is rated for 15 watts, and 100 dB.

Both speakers/cabs seem to go well together, and I look forward seeing just how good they both become, with each having a little more run time under their belts.

I find it note worthy that standing right in front of both cabs, at any volume, it's hard to pick the loudest. With just using a simple parallel splitter cable, these two cabs produce a well balanced volume between the two.
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Sep 15, 2010,
Eminence Swamp thangs, and Wizards!
Swamp thangs have great low end, and a strong midrange,
Wizards have a pretty damn good low end as well, but with more mids and highs.
They match very well together, being within 2dB of each other keeps one from overpowering the other.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Sep 15, 2010,
Quote by Seref
People suggest V30s and Greenbacks for more reasons than just because famous artists use them. They use them because they're actually pretty good speakers, which is also the main reason many cab makers use them.

oh yeah, i mean i'm not saying they're bad speakers. But the amount of people who recommend them, especially for completely the wrong style of music, makes me start to wonder. I mean, a v30 in a fender hot rod deluxe? That's a marketing decision rather than a tonal one, imo.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i run a weber alnico 12" blue dog with a weber ceramic 12" silver bell in my orange (a celestion blue and old marshall bluesbreaker speaker clone respectively), i might be biased but it doesn't have much competition. most all my clips on my profile use that speaker combination and seemed to be a favorite of Ted Weber (who actually personally recommended them shortly before he died).

i love mixing old CTS squareback speakers with just about anything, but especially eminence 'bells' (old stock speaker you find in music man and sunn amps from the 70's, rereleased as a 1228K i wanna say but is discontinued now, can find the speakers fairly cheap on ebay). CTS squarebacks also sound incredibly good with fane purples (we matched out squareback with a reeves clone of the purple), i mean balls out good!

a good rule of thumb when matching speakers is to find speakers that don't really step on each other's toes. really try and find what a speaker is good at, and then try to match a speaker that will compliment what the other is lacking.

example, my blue dog kinda sounds a bit thin and even boarders on 'overly bright' when matched with the wrong speaker (like a V30, that was an awful match). but the silver bell has a very firm low end that compliments the blue dog very well. together the blue dog cuts in the mix and the silver bell reinforces the sound.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I like the Eminence Private Jack and Legend V128, and the Celestion Greenback and V30.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I recently bought an old cab, gutted it and regrilled it.
as well as buy new speakers for it.

i reccomend warehouse speakers.

Im using 2x veteran 30's and 2x ET-65's in an X pattern..

in my opinion I couldnt hope for anything better!

Especially at just $69.00 a speaker
Last edited by Cisc at Sep 15, 2010,
Quote by Cisc
I recently bought an old cab, gutted it and regrilled it.
as well as buy new speakers for it.

i reccomend warehouse speakers.

Im using 2x veteran 30's and 2x ET-65's in an X pattern..

in my opinion I couldnt hope for anything better!

Especially at just $69.00 a speaker

I agree I've got a veteran 30 and et-65 in my JCM2000 and couldn't be happier! I had a green beret in my Budda sd18 and it sounded fantastic.
http://wgs4.com/
In my 4x12 right now I have two Celestion V30's and 2 Celestion G12k 100's.

It's in a x-pattern. I really like the sound I get out of it. They seem to contrast with themselves pretty well to get a nice full tone.

I am pretty happy the cab I bought already had the V30's in there. The G12k's were expensive enough
(Gear in profile)

Yes I do like metal, no I'm not a close minded idiot.
Greenbacks
G12H
Eminence Governor
V30

In that order.
404: Sig not found.