Ive noticed that my speed will shift some days. For example on a few exercises Ill be able to play it at a certain BPM, but on another day it will be less than that or maybe more than that. Like right now Im trying to do an exercise that I can usually do pretty well at a certain bpm, but I can even do that! Its less than I normally can. Now I will say that I do not get to practice everyday, with work and class and what not I can never seem to find time everyday. So I try to do my exercising on certain days. Now Im pretty sure a lot of you will tell me to practice everyday even if it is just for 30 mins, and I understand that and do you think that because Im not doing this that Im not improving? Also, if you can only practice a little bit everyday, how are you supposed to progress in EVERY thing if you can't get to it all in such a small time? Thanks!
I practise every day and this happens to me as well.
It's the same as with everything else, you have good days and you have bad days.
You just have to hope to God that those 'bad days' aren't when you're playing a gig.
How you practice matters more than how much you practice. Just do the best you can with the time that you have.

insufficient warm-up, bad hair days, being tired... just about anything can effect your guitar playing. It's normal. And day-to-day doesn't mean all that much. Are you better now than you were 3 months ago?
If yes, then life is good.
Quote by cringer
How you practice matters more than how much you practice. Just do the best you can with the time that you have.

insufficient warm-up, bad hair days, being tired... just about anything can effect your guitar playing. It's normal. And day-to-day doesn't mean all that much. Are you better now than you were 3 months ago?
If yes, then life is good.

Well I'd like to think I am better than 3 months ago, but im not sure. And yeah most of the time Im pretty tired when I practice which sucks it kind of kills it for me. I want to become really good, and playing really fast technical stuff but I feel like on this path Im not going to be getting there any time soon which upsets me. I mean I practice all kinds of techniques and yeah Id say Im getting better at them, but I have yet to put it all into use I guess you can say.
There's probably very specific things you could pinpoint but I think it all boils down to human nature. Sometimes you just have bad days
Quote by Templar0220
Well I'd like to think I am better than 3 months ago, but im not sure. And yeah most of the time Im pretty tired when I practice which sucks it kind of kills it for me. I want to become really good, and playing really fast technical stuff but I feel like on this path Im not going to be getting there any time soon which upsets me. I mean I practice all kinds of techniques and yeah Id say Im getting better at them, but I have yet to put it all into use I guess you can say.

If you not sure, tape yourself playing and then listen back 3 months from now and again 6 months from now. Use that as a motivation to see that even a small amount of regular practice does pay off.
work + school makes it hard i know and it's tiring... but there are people who manage to do both and still fit guitar into their lives. Again how you practice is the most important factor - keep that in mind. And maybe set some realistic goals for yourself to keep you motivated in the short term. Good luck.
I find that being cold makes me a lot slower... my fingers can feel stiff and hard to move.

Perhaps weather variations?
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
I have this happen to me.

There are times when I sit down to practice, and I usually start out my warm up with my favorite pedal point riffs from Parkway Drive's Siren's Song. I have noticed there are some days where I can play the warm up stuff fine, and others where I have to stop, play it at half speed and work my way up.

Its kinda odd, but eh.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
I find if I use the same warm up every day for about 15-20mins I'm normally at a consistent pace for the whole session I play.
this used to happen to me when i started out, but i ALWAYS warm up with some exercises for 15 minutes (just as someone else said above me haha), and i hardly ever have this issue now.

with practice this should not really be an issue. just do warm ups before you start shredding like crazy
If you can discipline yourself to start every session with 20 minutes of good, SLOW practice it will help tremendously. If you find you're really in a rut, drop the metronome to 60 and play some scale patterns, chromatics, etc.
It's called an off day. It happens to everyone in every skill set.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.