I put this in the bass forum because more people know more about bass amps. Hopefully that makes sense.

My band mates and I are going to be auditioning vocalists for our band and I was wondering if I could have people try out on my bass amp. The vocalists will be doing some screaming(lows and highs).

Would this screw up the amp? Will the sound be extremely distorted or something?

Also the plug on the back of my amp is a circle with three prongs in a triangle formation. Is this even the right kind of input for a microphone?
It is the right kind of input for a microphone. My band and I tried it a couple of times. The sound isn't bad at all, and we didn't notice any problems on the amp after... but I'm talking about my experience... it would be better to find an amp that is dedicated to vocals.
that means you can't plug mics into it. What you can do however is go get either a mic to 1/4" converter or get a mic cable that has mic jack on one end and 1/4" on the other. thats what I do and it works great

edited: thanks to lord of food for pointing out my mistakes.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Sep 14, 2010,
Will you get sound out of the amp if you find a way to get the mic into the 1/4 input? Yes.

Will the speaker get damaged? No.

Will it sound good? Probably not.
Gear:

Fender Jazz
Spector Legend Custom 5
Yamaha BB415

Fender Bassman 400 Pro
Quote by kamayzing
Will you get sound out of the amp if you find a way to get the mic into the 1/4 input? Yes.

Will the speaker get damaged? No.

Will it sound good? Probably not.

my thoughts exactly
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
You can't plug an in on a slot that says out.

If you get the right connection, you can just plug the mic into the regular input and it will be fine. Bass amps are pretty good at handling most instruments. I think it wouldn't sounds all that bad. You'll have to EQ it a lot different to get the vocals more clear (especially if you have a 15" speaker).

Quote by the_perdestrian
that means you can't plug mics into it. What you can do however is go get either a midi to 1/4" converter or get a mic cable that has midi on one end and 1/4" on the other. thats what I do and it works great

Mic and MIDI aren't the same:

3 prong (mic)

5 prong MIDI
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Sep 13, 2010,
oh my bad. I still say you can do it with a mic cable and it will sound okay.
no sir away a papaya war is on
You can put a mic through your jack input but unless you have a horn/tweeter it won't sound good at all. Most of the content of vocals is at mid and high frequencies which most bass amps don't do well because they don't need to. It won't do any harm though. You might be better off just turning down and listening to their unamplified voice with acoustic guitars. You'll get a much better idea of how good their voice is that way.

You might find this useful http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/junkyard/sound_good_in_the_rehearsal_room.html