Poll: Do you need affiliation to like a sports team?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you need affiliation to like a sports team?
Yes
23 14%
No
143 86%
Voters: 166.
Page 1 of 4
This discussion came up between me and my apartment-mates at college. They all say in order to like a team, you need to have some kind of affiliation (i.e. one said he likes the Miami dolphins because he grew up in Miami). That makes sense, but I really don't think you need an affiliation. I grew up in VA, so no professional teams are here. Growing up, I liked the Yankees because my dad did, and I thought a lot of him and wanted to be like him, so I rooted for the Yankees with him and it's stuck ever since. Also, my brother rooted for the Cowboys because he really liked Troy Aikmen, so I too rooted for them when I was young because my brother wanted me to. It's not like I consciously made a choice when I was young, I was just wanting to be more like my dad and brother.

Discuss.
R.I.P. Jeb
07/31/08

FREEZER BURN s YELLOWFRIZBEE
well you don't necessarily need affiliation. you can like any team you want in sports. local teams tend to get more fans in the area though.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by hobson111
You support your local team don't you.

Yeah, only because I'm able to attend those games by not having to travel 4+ hours to see them.
R.I.P. Jeb
07/31/08

FREEZER BURN s YELLOWFRIZBEE
Nope. My favourite football club is Arsenal while the rest of my family doesn't watch football at all, and I live in Canada.
Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart
My favorite sports teams are: the Pittsburgh Steelers for football, and the Miami Heat and Boston Celtics for basketball.

I grew up in Northern California, with no affiliation at all. (inb4 people calling me a bandwagoner. I've been with those teams for years. )
i need a really personal affiliation to like a sports team...like if i had invested large sums of money in them or if my uncle played for them or something. as a result, i've never liked any sports team for any good reason. i just don't get it =/
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by hobson111
You support your local team don't you.

Not really, I know some people up north who're like "If Chelsea beat Man U in whaatever competition, at tleast the trophy will be nearer the fans.
I like the Rays because I grew up 15 minutes away from their stadium. (American) Football wise, I like the Ravens. Why? Who knows.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Well if this is about "Can you like a sports team for no real reason?" then you kind of disproved it by liking those teams because of your dad and brother.
la de da.
You don't necessarily need an affiliation to a sports team to actively support them, but rather a deflated sense of self-worth.
I live in northern Indiana and I live and die by the Atlanta Braves...TBS (TV station) used to have them on every night of the summer and my boyhood hero was/still is Chipper Jones. Its weird though because I'm 20 now and he's almosy 40 and on the verge of retirement...I feel old

However....OT: as long as you have some kind of reasoning to why you like a certain team you don't need to worry. Its the idiots who like the Saints, Yankees, Heat and Blackhawks that really bother me.

Edit: Your poll is pretty black and white, maybe a few more options...? Affiliation can be the reason I listed, where you live, where your grandpa is from etc...So yes you need it, but not in the way your buddies are arguing for.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Last edited by BrokenDstring at Sep 13, 2010,
I'm an Eagles fan, and I've never been there. So no, you dont
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Freezer Burn
Yeah, only because I'm able to attend those games by not having to travel 4+ hours to see them.

No, I meant that's just the done thing.
I don't think so, but you should have a good reason for liking a team.

For example rooting for a team just because their uniform colours are nice doesn't make sense. Or at least you wouldn't want to reveal that to anyone.
MATTERHORN
I support the Anaheim Ducks and i'm in the UK

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Well I support Liverpool because it's the nearest city to me and most of my family do too. My friend on the other hand claims to support Barcelona

Soccer teams by the way.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Near the end, I supported Uruguay in the world cup, and before that I don't know if I could have found them on a map. They played the shit out of soccer.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Of course not. Bandwagon hopping is lame but if you can stick with a team through the bad times, then I say you're a real fan.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
I support Liverpool and Hull City

Liverpool because of what Michael Owen did in the '98 world cup just made me fall in love with him, and therefore his team. And I just stuck with Liverpool

Hull, because my family is from Hull. Closest team to me is York City and they are shite.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by BrokenDstring
I live in northern Indiana and I live and die by the Atlanta Braves...TBS (TV station) used to have them on every night of the summer and my boyhood hero was/still is Chipper Jones. Its weird though because I'm 20 now and he's almosy 40 and on the verge of retirement...I feel old

Well my childhood hero, Michael Owen made me fall in love with him by being awesome at soccer at the age of 18. Now I'm 18 and I'm sat slobbing out in my bedroom, I feel quite unworthy....
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I have affiliations with the teams I support, but I don't think you have to, as long as you stick with one team I support the college team where my dad and basically whole family went to, plus he grew up right by the college town. Then for pro-ball, I support my City's basketball team (even though they suck now) and support the Giants because Eli Manning went to college where my dad went and in Eli's college days, he was like my idol. So obviously when he went pro, and there was no team where I lived, I started liking the giants. If you like a team, like them, but don't hop.

I support Tottenham because they're the most exciting team to support. You never know with spurs and that's why i like them.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
I support Liverpool because my dad was born in Anfield and supports them. I would consider that affiliation but apparently TS doesn't. I say you need affiliation, be it through a father/mother/uncle/aunt/brother/sister doesn't really matter. Don't just pick some random team though man.

edit: okay my post may only apply to the British. If you're in another country and you follow UK premiership then fine, support whoever the fuck you like i guess
Last edited by alexmonty12 at Sep 13, 2010,
No. I'm a Seattle Seahawks fan, and I live on the opposite side of the country from Washington. My dad started following them when they first joined the league in the 1970s, so I grew up following them.

You can't exactly say I jumped on a bandwagon either. It isn't like they've been a very good team for the most part.

I've been to one game, but not in Seattle. I went to see them play the Redskins a few years ago.

The rest of my sports teams are from Philadelphia, which is about an hour and a half from here. I've gone to see them play multiple times. So I guess I sort of have an affiliation with those at least. They're all from my state, and the closest teams to me.
I believe you do. But it depends. You can follow a team, but if you claim you're a die-hard fan and you live in Devon, 'support' Man United and have never seen a United game at a stadium then meh. I hate glory supporters.

I'm a Bolton Wanderers fan as I grew into being one (Dad's side of the family). Also, it was our local team back when I used to live there.
signature
If I was a fan of every sports team I was locationally affiliated with, I'd be a fan of the dolphins, jaguars, seahawks, buccaneers, 49ers, and Raiders. It doesn't matter where I live though because I'll always be a Miami fan (even when they go 1-15...)
i decided to root for the denver broncos because i liked their uniforms.(note: as of this season i am no longer a broncos fan due to their idiotic decision making and their determination to get rid of their best players for no reason.)

also im getting into soccer and ive picked Arsenal for no reason.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
I'm from NC and I've been a huge Laker fan since forever.
I was a lil kid , Jordan retired and I gravitated towards Kobe.

I'm also a Colt fan but that was before we had the Panthers. I support the Panthers for homer reasons but will always have the Colts #1.

For College I like UNC sports , but I've liked Gonzaga ever since I was in 8th grade.
I grew up in Philly and am supposed to like the Phillies and the Eagles, but really i can't stand sports in general
He is useless on top of the ground; he ought to be under it, inspiring the cabbages
Born in DC and I love the Bengals (The Bungles are back )

When I was a kid, I loved their uniforms. I guess it just stuck
Quote by irweojhy903!ier
I'm from NC and I've been a huge Laker fan since forever.
I was a lil kid , Jordan retired and I gravitated towards Kobe.

I'm also a Colt fan but that was before we had the Panthers. I support the Panthers for homer reasons but will always have the Colts #1.

For College I like UNC sports , but I've liked Gonzaga ever since I was in 8th grade.

Woohoo, NC. I tend to support the Panthers as well but also the Bears. I have a natural tendency towards Chicago teams just because my dad is from there and is thus affiliated. I grew up a huge Duke fan but now go to college at UNC and thus have made that switch as well.
Quote by Freezer Burn
This discussion came up between me and my apartment-mates at college. They all say in order to like a team, you need to have some kind of affiliation (i.e. one said he likes the Miami dolphins because he grew up in Miami). That makes sense, but I really don't think you need an affiliation. I grew up in VA, so no professional teams are here. Growing up, I liked the Yankees because my dad did, and I thought a lot of him and wanted to be like him, so I rooted for the Yankees with him and it's stuck ever since. Also, my brother rooted for the Cowboys because he really liked Troy Aikmen, so I too rooted for them when I was young because my brother wanted me to. It's not like I consciously made a choice when I was young, I was just wanting to be more like my dad and brother.

Discuss.

Quote by Freezer Burn
I grew up in VA, so no professional teams are here. Growing up, I liked the Yankees because my dad did, and I thought a lot of him and wanted to be like him, so I rooted for the Yankees with him and it's stuck ever since. Also, my brother rooted for the Cowboys because he really liked Troy Aikmen

Quote by Freezer Burn
Also, my brother rooted for the Cowboys because he really liked Troy Aikmen

Quote by Freezer Burn
Also, my brother rooted for the Cowboys, so I too rooted for them

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I was born in Phoenix so I like the Cardinals...even though they suck ass.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Primus2112
I was born in Phoenix so I like the Cardinals...even though they suck ass.

They've been over .500 for awhile and went to the super bowl two years ago, I'd hardly call that sucking ass
Quote by darkcheef
They've been over .500 for awhile and went to the super bowl two years ago, I'd hardly call that sucking ass

But they do.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
You don't have to have affiliation to like a team.

I've liked the Gators since I've been little, yet I have absolutely no affiliation with them. On the same hand, I like the Browns and Indians because I am from Cleveland and I like Ohio State because I go there. Sometimes affiliation is connected, sometimes it isn't.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I get crap for liking the Packers all the time. Sure, I'm from MN, but that doesn't mean I have to like the Vikings.
Page 1 of 4