Page 1 of 5
Back to basics. A thread for the discussion of balls to the wall, gritty, old school metal. Why? Because it's amazing and one man can only make so many 3 post threads before getting tired.

If you don't like falsetto-filled, solo-driven, bass-filled METAL, the door is => that way, you pussy.

I'll attempt to get things rolling by posting some essentials of the genre:

Tyrant - Too Late to Pray

Jaguar - Axe Crazy

Black Knight - Aaraigathor

Dark Age - Viper

Stormtrooper - Armies of the Night
No, neither Enforcer NOR White Wizzard compare to the intensity of Jaguar.

AXXEE CRaaaAAZAYY

Also.

how about 3 inches of blood? do they count?
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
You sir have great taste in metal!!! Hopefully the 2010 decade has a true metal awakening and its something like the 80s again. I find more and more bands everyday with the 80s metal style.

But check out some of these present bands that have that old school sound:
- Steel panther (parody band but they still kick ass)
- The Donnas (More hard rock but these chicks have a good old school sound)
- 3 inches of blood (mix of thrash and painkiller like vocals)
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
byti

(beat you to it)
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
I like Enforcer a lot but White Wizzard is pretty lame

On the topic of modern heavy metal though I have to mention Christian Mistress. Their full length arrived in the mail today and it's been kicking my ass! Great female vocalist too, really brings to mind Lyn Renaud of Messiah Force which is always a great thing.

Glad to finally see a thread for heavy metal here, it's always bothered me that there was none.

However posts like this

Quote by bfredder92
But check out some of these present bands that have that old school sound:
- Steel panther (parody band but they still kick ass)
- The Donnas (More hard rock but these chicks have a good old school sound)
- 3 inches of blood (mix of thrash and painkiller like vocals)

are false and cannot be allowed to stand. All of those bands suck.
i am the moonstar
Last edited by Cambyses at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by severed-metal
No, neither Enforcer NOR White Wizzard compare to the intensity of Jaguar.

AXXEE CRaaaAAZAYY

Also.

What the hell is this band? Are they traditional? Why is this the first time I've seen this?

3 Inches of blood don't count IMO. They're crap. Enforcer, White Wizzard, Ram, Dark Forest, Portrait, etc. all these "NEW" traditional bands are fine. Some are more generic than others while some keep the flame going. Good shit to look into either way.
Last edited by \Powerslave/ at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by Cambyses

have you heard over the top? its a little heavier than the first record and with much better vocals
Quote by Cambyses

On the topic of modern heavy metal though I have to mention Christian Mistress. Their full length arrived in the mail today and it's been kicking my ass! Great female vocalist too, really brings to mind Lyn Renaud of Messiah Force which is always a great thing.

Glad to finally see a thread for heavy metal here, it's always bothered me that there was none.

However posts like this

are false and cannot be allowed to stand. All of those bands suck.
Wow dude how can you say steel panther sucks? I mean the other two i mentioned I see some flaws with but man steel panther is pretty crazy.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
also if im mentioning white wizzard, check out holy grail(myspace.com/holygrail i think). theyr the first line up of white wizzard with a different bassist and they have a new album coming out in a couple months
YOU'RE AN ANGEL WITCH! YOU'RE AN ANGEL WITCH

\m/
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by severed-metal

This is like basement heavy metal. I dig it brah. Not very good, but not bad. Very fun none the less. Cool vocals. Makes me want to headbang.

Also, you have any idea how many pictures I tried before I found one? God damn censors...
Yeah

(Invalid img)

Anyways..I believe a rather intelligent discussion is about to take place...Just might be the last thing that I do.

YOU'RE AN ANGEL WITCH, YOOOOUUU'RREE AN ANGEL WITCH
Quote by bfredder92
Wow dude how can you say steel panther sucks? I mean the other two i mentioned I see some flaws with but man steel panther is pretty crazy.

steel panther has shit riffs and a stupid gimmick. calm down with the triple post by the way, there is an edit button
i am the moonstar
Quote by Cambyses
steel panther has shit riffs and a stupid gimmick. calm down with the triple post by the way, there is an edit button

lmao they have shit riffs yet they stole every riff that was on feel the steel from hair metal bands
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
Quote by sg_man08

Someone knows his stuff. Good lad!
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
omg I can't stop playing Crystal Logic

LOOK FOR THE LOST, AND YOU JUST MIGHT FIND
THAT THE CAUSE IS YOUR MIIIIND
RIDE THE SERPENT AND MAKE YOUR STAND
CAST NO DOUBT TO THE RAM

also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfcju37XFrA
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Last edited by The Wildchild at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by The Wildchild
omg I can't stop playing Crystal Logic

I approve of this. One of the greatest heavy metal albums of all time.

While this is one of the greatest heavy metal songs of all time:

Dark Forest - Excalibur
Metalucifer for the best album cover ever concocted.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Been listening to this a lot lately:

edit: lol just saw that a few of you have also been hooked on this masterpiece.
While Crystal Logic is indeed amazing it always gets mentioned first, the rest Manilla Road albums are definitely just as good and thus should get much more recognition

I don't really know how to contribute to a thread like this one, because there's just too much great heavy metal out there
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Heavy Load owns

Full Speed At High Level is so goood
i am the moonstar
...is that Simon Cowell's face?

Anyways, having just last weekend personally witnessed Ross North's vocal abilities live, I'm gonna give it to Cloven Hoof

Good to see some love for Spiral Castle - definitely the 'heaviest' Manilla Road album, not like their usual stuff... also not to be a dick lads, but we should encourage some more discussion instead of just posting class album covers!

Brocas Helm's 'Defender of The Crown' vinyl reissue out soon. Pants will be creamed.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
^Cool, but have they at least changed the dreadful album cover?

I always get the urge to post this song whenever kickass heavy metal is discussed

Hopefully they'll give the cover art a revamp yeah..original one is crap! Im dying to get it though - the two first albums are among my most played ever. Thank feck for Eat Metal reissues!
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
What albums are good starting points for Hungarian heavy metal?
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
Only band I can think of is Tormentor, black metal... but get the reissue of that!
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Page 1 of 5
Recommended threads
Thread idea
Falsehammer
Last post:
by MHDrunk
Helstar!
MetalMessiah665
Last post:
by severed-metal