Hi UG, I kinda recently bought a "new" guitar from somebody else, and he happened to give me this humidifer:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Planet-Waves-Body-Guard-Humidifier-100709435-i1133572.gc

Along with it. The humidifier functions perfectly as it should, but it seems to be detrimental to the health of my strings...

Even a while back, when the strings were pretty much new, they already showed signs of wear like when you've used a pick too many times (you know what I mean... discolouration/kinda ugly gray colour/etc.), and these are Elixir strings, too I really like these type of strings, too, lol.

Anyways, I was wondering if this was an innate problem with the humidifier or if there's any fix for it. I decided to post this just now because my high e-string broke. I don't think it's related, but still .____.

Thanks in advance.
jees. Seems like an odd thing to have. I mean I get what it does and all but I agree that the added moisture could be a problem for steel strings. Are you in a dry climate? I take it you don't use nylon strings at all. I just wouldn't use it
Ya I would only use that if I was storing my guitar for an extended period of time, in a dry environment. That's not meant to be in the guitar just between casual playing.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I mean, I don't put it in every time I finish playing, but then how often should I actually use it? The person I bought my guitar from (this type of guitar: link. For a lack of a better site, I just chose the official Martin site) said Martin guitars require lots of humidification, but if anyone who has a similar or the same guitar that can give feedback would be good.
You're thinking about this wrong... Its not that that guitar NEEDS it, its just a good idea. This is preventative maintenance. Do it as often as you can, but don't feel like you need to all the time. If you feel the wood drying out give it a day in the case with the humidifier.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!