The headstock on my guitar broke. And I'm fairly certain it's unfixable. And if it were, it'd be crazy expensive. So I'm calling my guitar totalled. For the record, it was an Epi LP Standard. I wouldn't be making this thread if it were a bolt on.

Anyway, I just don't know where to go from here. I could dish out some money and buy something better or just settle for the same thing. I was thinking about getting either a Samick AV7, an Epi LP Custom since the GC in my area has one for about $500 (but I've heard they're sonically equal to Standards so I'm not sure), or just going balls out and getting a Gibby LP Studio. What does UG think?

Wrst_EDIT_Evr: The damage:

Profile.

Blurry close-up.

From the back.

The front.

Headstock Remnants.

Close-up profile.
Last edited by Wrst_Plyr_Evr at Sep 13, 2010,
I would buy the Gibson but be sure to play a bunch of them first to find a good one. There are some BAD Gibson Studios out there.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
What styles of music do you play? What's your overall budget? Can you go used?

I'd look for a used Carvin Singlecut. They're very good quality guitars. Why are you so dead-set on a LP-style guitar, anyways?
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'd get a Schecter

I'd listen to him.

Oh, and I wouldn't break my F'ing guitar anymore.
pics?

It usually is repairable. Titebond is amazing stuff.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
my headstock broke on my gibson SG. i had it repaired for $100.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Quote by ibz_bucket
What styles of music do you play? What's your overall budget? Can you go used?

I play in a ska-punk band. And I don't have a set budget as of now. I'm just going to save up and use my back-up until I can get something good. And yes, I'm willing to go used. There's a few Studios in my area for about $650-$750, but they're not in white like I want it. But at that point I'm just being waaaaaay too nit-picky.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Why are you so dead-set on a LP-style guitar, anyways?

Because I like them. Duh.

And I'll get some pics up in a minute. I just need to go take them.
The same thing happened to my best friend. I lent him my LP for a couple months while he saved up some money, and he went for a Fender Strat HSS. Maybe that doesn't suit your style, but my point is, if you have the money, definitely upgrade, but get something reliable that you really like, and take care of it like it's your baby.
Quote by oneblackened
pics?

It usually is repairable. Titebond is amazing stuff.

+1,000. i have seen ton of snapped headstocks repaired flawlessly. its not that big of a deal. it is far from ideal, but repairable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
That's completely repairable.
Take it to a good luthier.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i don't mean to be a jerk, but somehow i automatically thought it was a gibson. the repair may not be worth it on an Epi. you just gotta make the choice and go through with it. if it were me, i wouldn't pay for a repair on it, but only you know what your budget is.

on the otherhand, since it is an Epi, you could try to do it yourself... google something like "broken gibson headstock repair" follow the directions best you can and it coudln't hurt anything. worst case you glue it on and it is crooked and its in no worse shape than it is now, and part it out on ebay.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
The headstock on my guitar broke. And I'm fairly certain it's unfixable. And if it were, it'd be crazy expensive. So I'm calling my guitar totalled. For the record, it was an Epi LP Standard. I wouldn't be making this thread if it were a bolt on.
Quitter!

Good news: this kind of repair is a piece of piss provided you've got a bit of patience.

QUICK'n'DIRTY DIY HEADSTOCK REPAIR

You will need
-Sandpaper (20p a sheet)
-Mini clamps (I bought a pack of 3 for £1)
-Wood glue (PVA based) (£2)
-Tissue Paper (free)

Total cost: £3.20
Time taken: About 15 mins
(+several days drying time obviously)

First get rid of any rough splinters and little bits of exposed wood, using very fine sandpaper to smooth things out if needs be. The aim is to make sure the two pieces of wood fit together as closely and smoothly as possible.

Then simply apply a healthy amount of wood glue to the joint, clamp it up tight with three or four small clamps (and mop up the excess glue that squeezes out) and leave for a few days.
After about a day you can reduce the pressure on the clamps, and then let it sit another two days at least, just to be on the safe side. If you're gigging a lot with the guitar and don't trust your handiwork your DIY repair, you could always screw a metal plate either side of the join. Really no need though - wood glue is often stronger than the wood itself....

I snapped the headstock off my acoustic about two years ago and it looked very similar to yours. Glued it back on like I've described above and it's held fine ever since. I've even dropped it a few times without damage

Here's what my dodgy handiwork looks like, it ain't pretty but it works:

Last edited by kyle62 at Sep 13, 2010,
Get a Gibson BFG if you need a Gibson. So much better than a Studio IMO.

Otherwise, ESP/LTD, Tokai, Edwards, etc. are a giant bang for your buck.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Exactly what Kyle62 said, that is a really easy fix. All you need is some PVA and a couple clamps. Don't let that get in the way of a new guitar though
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Quote by MatrixClaw
Get a Gibson BFG if you need a Gibson. So much better than a Studio IMO.

Otherwise, ESP/LTD, Tokai, Edwards, etc. are a giant bang for your buck.

Great post, nice to see some BFG love. I'm really tempted by one! Gibson's pricing and general business decisions have gone off the rails, I'd be much more proud to own a good japanese axe!

People still gladly pay more for Gibson because of the 'badge on the headstock' factor, but thinking about it, I've had tons of positive comments when gigging with a Tokai - other guitarists see it as a sign of someone who knows what they're doing and doesn't necessarily follow the crowd.
Last edited by kyle62 at Sep 14, 2010,
I would at least attempt to fix it. No harm in trying, and if you really take your time you may be surprised at the results.

If its a clean break wouldn't he get more wood to wood contact with not sanding at all, or at least very little?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I'm in a similar predicament where could you get a load of mini clamps?
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
Quote by josh_salty
I'm in a similar predicament where could you get a load of mini clamps?

I got a set from my newsagent who sells cheap screwdrivers and stuff, but you could get em from a local hardware shop or one of the big DIY places: http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/3pieceCClampSet245158?category=clamps
Well, I guess the ts' question has been answered, so...
Quote by kyle62
Great post, nice to see some BFG love. I'm really tempted by one! Gibson's pricing and general business decisions have gone off the rails, I'd be much more proud to own a good japanese axe!

People still gladly pay more for Gibson because of the 'badge on the headstock' factor, but thinking about it, I've had tons of positive comments when gigging with a Tokai - other guitarists see it as a sign of someone who knows what they're doing and doesn't necessarily follow the crowd.

I liked the BFG I tried a lot. Humbucker and P90 in one guitar is absolute win.

That said, I really liked the last batch of Gibbo Standards and Traditionals I tried. Two years back I played a dozen Gibson LPs and outside of the custom shop models, I wasn't impressed. The Traditionals especially were a let down... but when I tried a few again last June, all of them played and sounded great. Maybe Gibson's been improving or maybe my sample size is just too small, but I was very impressed that day.

That aside, MIJ guitars ftw.
cool think im just gunna traul my town centre for anywhere that might sell them
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
This is clearly a very clean break.

Repair is EASY if you don't care about the cosmetics.

Use Titebond Original wood glue.. ORIGINAL only.

Use clamps too. Do what some here has said.

And get this. Once it's glued/repaired.. your headstock is actually going to be STRONGER than before.

People DELIBERATELY break their headstocks to increase their strength after gluing back. Usually that's the case for LP headstocks. Don't do it for other types because they do not have flawed design like the gibson LP style headstocks.

The PVA glue used is stronger than the wood itself.

That's why if you dropped it again on the headstock, it WON'T break unlike the first time.

The guitar will play just as good after repairs and setup.
that looks like an easy fix for me, really.
you need some wood glue and a few clamps.
maybe some fine sandpaper and paint if you want to make it as clean as possible.

but yeah, others have said it before on this thread.
Man, broken headstocks are an extremely easy fix (at least for someone with the necessary woodworking skills). It shouldn't cost you much more than 100 bucks if you take it into a tech. If you've got the equipment, it won't cost more than a couple bucks. Seeing as it's an Epi, I wouldn't bother, personally.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
you know what? this happens ALOT with gibson/epiphone stuff. there is quite a bit of discontent over this issue with gibson headstocks, i have heard one person goes as far to say that they should break them before they leave the factory because the repaired neck is more strong than the stock one.

so if this has been an issue for a while, haven't they come up with a good fix? they have. Kyle62 layed it out for you perfectly.

i have personally been witness to 3 headstock breaks on gibsons. one of them was a friend's little brother who got his ass whipped by his dad. looking back on it now i'd like to kick that guys ass for not knowing his product better and squandering money on a name brand like he did.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 15, 2010,
^ Yup, not sure if you saw it a few months ago when I posted it. But I bought a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Elegant for a guy in Russia, he had it for about a week and went to adjust the truss rod after putting new strings on it, the headstock snapped clean off.

So depressing, that was a beautiful guitar. I can't believe this even happens on their Custom Shop guitars... that thing cost $5000 new
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
very common SG or LP issue. it's the angle. happened to my yamaha a bunch of years back.

a lot of the vintage LP's did this. duanne allman's '59 has a repaired neck.

if fixed correctly, it's more stable afterwards.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by MatrixClaw
^ Yup, not sure if you saw it a few months ago when I posted it. But I bought a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Elegant for a guy in Russia, he had it for about a week and went to adjust the truss rod after putting new strings on it, the headstock snapped clean off.

So depressing, that was a beautiful guitar. I can't believe this even happens on their Custom Shop guitars... that thing cost $5000 new

omfg. that is heartbreaking, but that is right around the line i hear. there is some dude who makes custom guitars in vegas that has a ton of testimonials that sound very similar.

from what i understand, my heritage won't have the same problem... at least i hope it doesn't.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious

from what i understand, my heritage won't have the same problem... at least i hope it doesn't.

just don't let it fall forward out of the stand on it's face. you should be fine.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
How did that even happen?
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by oneblackened
That's completely repairable.
Take it to a good luthier.

+1

If its your "baby" get it repaired.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
That's easily fixable. Your truss rod didn't even get touched. The epoxy that's used for those sort of repairs is typically stronger than the wood itself.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Last edited by Ferrets! at Sep 15, 2010,
Totally know the feeling bro, I had my headstock break too. Mine didn't break completely off though. Its a simple fix for any luthier. After getting quotes from a handful of shops I took mine to GC because they were the cheapest. They really did a nice job on mine, it looks fantastic and has held up great.

EDIT: Crappy cell phone picture but thats the result of the repair. Its perfectly smooth, they really did a great job.

Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Last edited by lbj273 at Sep 16, 2010,
Quote by shark38j
I went to this guys school to learn to be a guitar tech. This video may help you out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/galloupguitars#p/a/u/1/KkL_WxTZQgE

watching that guy fix that guitar for some poor guy made me kinda happy, if he's ever in town I owe him a beer
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more