Page 1 of 2
..that nobody has ever done before. I get to play the Star Spangled Banner for my school on Veteran's day . As far as I know, nobody in the history of guitar has EVER played that song! EVER.

So any tips as to how I can pimp it out / not gump it up. I want to make it unique instead of just completely ripping off Hendrix
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
First of all what hilarious sarcasm. It really brightened up my night.

Second of all, play eat on clean note for note. No funny business.
Do a post-rock version 9 minutes long with lots of delay and a really clean sound. Then for the last part switch on a super heavy fuzz.

The 9 minutes long part was for lulz but I'm completely serious about doing it post-rock style.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I've played it live a few times. People will appreciate it if you don't mess with it too much, but make it solid, and add some cool guitar stuff, like epic bends and feedback, a sustaining feedback, not a loud screech. Finish just like Jimi did at Woodstock, with it getting real quiet, and the end it with the 3 chords.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
You're not Hendrix, do it right. It's veteran's day, the least you can do is show respect to the people who died for you, a nameless high-schooler with no following, by playing all the notes you should and none of the notes you shouldn't.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Reisgar42
You're not Hendrix, do it right. It's veteran's day, the least you can do is show respect to the people who died for you, a nameless high-schooler with no following, by playing all the notes you should and none of the notes you shouldn't.

Well aren't we super fun today
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Reisgar42

Gah, you're no fun

Quote by me_llamo_juan
Please no divebombs or pinch harmonics.

Yea I didn't plan on it. I don't have a whammy bar anyways

Purple Alert
Last edited by soulsablaze at Sep 13, 2010,
For the love of god don't bastardize that song anymore than everyone else has.

As much as I respect Jimi, I think his version of it was absolute shit. Total and complete garbage. IF youre playing for veterans, honor them by playing it how should be played. And throw in some bends and flair if you want, just...don't over do it.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Reisgar42

Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Sep 13, 2010,
Just to be that guy, ahem...
10 MINUTE WAMMYBAR SOLO!!!!!111111ONEONEONEoneone.....1....
Quote by valennic
As much as I respect Jimi, I think his version of it was absolute shit. Total and complete garbage.

His version was pure wank. Moreso than any shred.

No no, I'm not bashing shred, I'm just using it as an example since a lot people consider it guitar wank.
MATTERHORN
Quote by valennic
For the love of god don't bastardize that song anymore than everyone else has.

As much as I respect Jimi, I think his version of it was absolute shit. Total and complete garbage. IF youre playing for veterans, honor them by playing it how should be played. And throw in some bends and flair if you want, just...don't over do it.

Yea honestly I didn't plan on doing too much to it. On a lot of other people's versions, i get lost half way through their endless wankery

Purple Alert
Play it relatively close to the original butt throw some chunks of urself in there
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
Quote by ishmonkey
Play it relatively close to the original butt throw some chunks of urself in there

Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
As a vet and music lover I feel if you just keep it in the realm of what we all know it to be and you'll be fine. Keep it solid, have fun with it and do some of what you want, you'll be fine.
Quote by celticstorm84
As a vet and music lover I feel if you just keep it in the realm of what we all know it to be and you'll be fine. Keep it solid, have fun with it and do some of what you want, you'll be fine.

Listen to this guy, he's a vet...

Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Doctor Matthews
His version was pure wank. Moreso than any shred.

No no, I'm not bashing shred, I'm just using it as an example since a lot people consider it guitar wank.

And now I feel unoriginal for describing it as wankery literally seconds after you.
Well played good sir...well played

Quote by celticstorm84

Very good advice. I thank you for your contribution

Purple Alert
play it on drums. now THAT'S original
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Quote by StratoCatser

Glad to see I'm not the only one who found that hilarious.

Y'know what, I'm sigging that shit.
Make sure there are no drummers, bassist or singers in the area to stop you from doing your 10 minute guitar solo.
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

Throw in a couple bends, put on some light distortion, and play it through. just make it a solid sounding tune, no major slides up and down the neck or crazy use of the whammy bar
Quote by Jusman

As soon as somebody invents a way for 1 person to play 2 guitars, bass, and drums in front of a live audience I will definately do this

Purple Alert
Quote by soulsablaze
As soon as somebody invents a way for 1 person to play 2 guitars, bass, and drums in front of a live audience I will definately do this

Looping pedals.

In fact, I saw a video once of a guy jamming with himself using a looping pedal to play all the instruments.
Quote by Primus2112
Do a post-rock version 9 minutes long with lots of delay and a really clean sound. Then for the last part switch on a super heavy fuzz.

The 9 minutes long part was for lulz but I'm completely serious about doing it post-rock style.

i lol'd
Quote by __Pent__
Looping pedals.

In fact, I saw a video once of a guy jamming with himself using a looping pedal to play all the instruments.

I said that to hide my incompetence I can't do Boston justice by playing it their way. I just don't play with the same style or feeling as they do

Purple Alert
do it with a kinda steve vai distortion, maybe some slight chorus and fair amount of reverb, honestly no one would want to hear anything close to jimi's in a school, even as a musician i wouldn't want to, i say play it with longer, more sustained notes, put some trills and build it up then end on some epic note, i dunno, i would give more advice but i can't say i've heard star spangled banner to many times, i can't even remember the first 2 lines of it...
Quote by maowcat
do it with a kinda steve vai distortion, maybe some slight chorus and fair amount of reverb, honestly no one would want to hear anything close to jimi's in a school, even as a musician i wouldn't want to, i say play it with longer, more sustained notes, put some trills and build it up then end on some epic note, i dunno, i would give more advice but i can't say i've heard star spangled banner to many times, i can't even remember the first 2 lines of it...

That's actually pretty close to what I had in mind. Throwing in some epic bends, trills, stuff like that, I'm not a shred person. Maybe I can build it up on those last few notes and when I hit that last note, maybe turn it into a power chord, and jump off a stage when I hit that last chord get some Motley Crue esque pyrotechnics. what do you think?

EDIT: on a more serious note (no pun intended) how would it sound with some wah added in at the right moments, not like throughout the whole thing

Purple Alert
Quote by RU Experienced?
Play These Colours Don't Run by Iron Maiden instead.
This.

...Seriously though, I'd have to agree with everyone saying to play it note for note.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Quote by soulsablaze
EDIT: on a more serious note (no pun intended) how would it sound with some wah added in at the right moments, not like throughout the whole thing

I think that if you use even the tiniest amount of wah people will automatically think you're copying Hendrix.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind about doing it electric, but I think classical or acoustic would be a lot more respectful. You could arrange it with interesting chord voicings and such.

EDIT: Or just play with zero distortion - but include my idea of chord voicings etc.
MATTERHORN
Last edited by Doctor Matthews at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by soulsablaze
That's actually pretty close to what I had in mind. Throwing in some epic bends, trills, stuff like that, I'm not a shred person. Maybe I can build it up on those last few notes and when I hit that last note, maybe turn it into a power chord, and jump off a stage when I hit that last chord get some Motley Crue esque pyrotechnics. what do you think?

How about a filter pedal the whole time? Not like an autowah.
Quote by Pencil Man
I've played it live a few times. People will appreciate it if you don't mess with it too much, but make it solid, and add some cool guitar stuff, like epic bends and feedback, a sustaining feedback, not a loud screech. Finish just like Jimi did at Woodstock, with it getting real quiet, and the end it with the 3 chords.

This. You can add a few small, small licks here and there to make it your own, but don't go overboard. Hendrix did his version as a political message, you're doing yours as a tribute. Remember that.
Quote by Doctor Matthews

It sounds like you've already made up your mind about doing it electric, but I think classical or acoustic would be a lot more respectful. You could arrange it with interesting chord voicings and such.

EDIT: Or just play with zero distortion - but include my idea of chord voicings etc.

This
don't be cheesy
Page 1 of 2