Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to record a guitar head without micing the cab, by direct inputs...

I have a mesa boogie single rectifier 50 watt solo head.
See in this video the record directly and it sounds really good ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRQVwdoVsFs

Thanks
I heard about dummy loads ??? What is it ? is it good for what I'm asking ?
i dont know alot about it but i had asked this question awhile back and i got told about dummy loads.

also to avoid starting another thread what is that thing tied around the top of the neck of his guitar for?
A dummy load is basically either a single resistor or a bunch of resistors that match the wattage and ohms of your head. What this does it takes the signal from the speaker out and converts it into heat so you get no sound.

If you know how to solder you can build one very easily. All you need is a resistor and an input jack like a guitar has then you just connect it to the speaker out on your head. You might want to put it in a but with a heatsink or just bold it to a metal plate to keep it somewhat cool.

After you've connected the dummy load you can record just your head from the effects loop into the computer and use impulses to simulate a cab.
The resistor makes it so that the signal is a line in level so it doesn't overload your input right?
If you don't have a line-out on your head then I guess you do that, then get a good cabinet impulse to simulate cab.
Quote by Clay-man
The resistor makes it so that the signal is a line in level so it doesn't overload your input right?
If you don't have a line-out on your head then I guess you do that, then get a good cabinet impulse to simulate cab.

An amp needs to send load somewhere or it'll damage it. The resistor it just something that it can send the load to without having to use a speaker.

Like I said, with a speaker it converts the load into sound but a dummy load converts it into heat.
So tahts what they do in the video ? And what is the impulse thing ?
A cab impulse is a wav file that contains the exact response of the cabinet it recorded, so it will sound exactly like the cab/mic position(s) you recorded.

Without the cab you'll get a really harsh distortion that sounds horrible.
It would work but you'll need a cab VST type thing or something of some sort otherwise you'll get the raw sound of just the pre-amp alone which is absolutely disgusting.

edit: what the person above me said. D:
i have a question.If i have my amp head connected to the cab could i still use the effects loop and run that out to my interface and then use cab impulses to record?and what kind of recording quality would i get?
@brender i can't say i've tested such a thing but if you're going to be using impulses then it'd be safe to not hook up to the cab at all.
Quote by TechnicolorType
@brender i can't say i've tested such a thing but if you're going to be using impulses then it'd be safe to not hook up to the cab at all.

Don't listen to this guy. You HAVE to have the load going somewhere or you could damage the amp.
Quote by maggot9779
Don't listen to this guy. You HAVE to have the load going somewhere or you could damage the amp.

+100

If you want to record without the cab, you'll want some cab impulses as well as will NEED the dummy load.

I personally just enjoy micing up a standard cab and amp head combo and getting the great sound like most studios will.
If volume levels are an issue, there are amp attenuators you can use so you can get that high gain sound at lower volumes.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 15, 2010,
Quote by moody07747
If you want to record without the cab, you'll want some cab impulses as well as will NEED the dummy load.

Which is what 75% of the people were talking about in this topic so do you really think I'd be referring to doing something else?

Good job Sherlocks.
so i recorded like 4 songs with my peavey valveking 100 head with it unplugged from the cab and it still works fine. did i just get really lucky?
Quote by Rory's_strat

Considering he doesn't even know how to add up series/parallel resistances, I really wouldn't trust that. As someone has pointed out, his way gives ~1ohm resistance rather than 8ohms.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
I've heard that on some amps, the preamp will still feed signal even when on standby (apparently the 5150 does this) so you can just go "fx send > interface" and control the output with the fx loop controls, while no sound will come from the cab.

Or something like that... I could be completely wrong but I know I'm on the right track. I posted a thread awhile back asking similar questions and got some really good responses:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1092173

But you shouls ALWAYS have a cab plugged into a head when it's off of standby.

edit:
Yeah, I'm a bit wrong. The 5150 does have it's own line out, but as far as I know, I think the effects send is pretty much the same thing...?

Anyway, for your Single Rec, you'd use the "slave out" into your interface. I have no idea if it will work in standby or not. Generally you don't have you crank your amp to get a good preamp signal to your interface anyway.
Last edited by Ignite at Sep 19, 2010,