I didnt see a thread about this in the search engine, but I was wondering if anyone else has any techniques or such that no matter how much practice, they just cannot get it right.

For me, its pinch harmonics (yes, apparently one of the easiest things to do... and I cant do it, no matter how much I practice. I can get the bend to sound perfect, but I cant do the harmonic =\). It used to be pedal point, but I finally broke that one.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Tapping with my right hand pinky. I have full control of the Index, Middle, and Ring, but working my pinky with the others is... Cumbersome.

I broke my pinky when I was younger, and now my pinky has two positions, waaay up, or down, there is no way for me to smoothly flex it.

I can only use it for certain things, others.. its completely useless, so Ive kinda given up on fixing it, and just adapting with a faster ring finger.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Sep 13, 2010,
Legato on frets higher than 12.....I just can't get the notes to ring out without picking.
Pinch harmonics took me a while due to no one being able to demonstrate or explain them well, but other than that nothing too difficult.

Sweeping I'm not great at, but that's because I really don't involve them in my solos. I just don't like the sound much.
i have a good amount of trouble with economy picking when it comes next to fast alternate bits. or vice versa really. i have trouble switching back to straight alternate. any tips?
Quote by Magero
I am a deathcore musician. I am above mere mortal minds.
Quote by Hail
Pinch harmonics took me a while due to no one being able to demonstrate or explain them well, but other than that nothing too difficult.

Sweeping I'm not great at, but that's because I really don't involve them in my solos. I just don't like the sound much.

I have no guitarist friends, only a bassist, and my guitar teacher, as great as he has been at teaching me rhythm, isnt so great on metal technique. I had to learn pedal point by myself.

Quote by ambivalent615
i have a good amount of trouble with economy picking when it comes next to fast alternate bits. or vice versa really. i have trouble switching back to straight alternate. any tips?

Alternate picking has been my bane, and my next major technique overhaul. Ive gotten really damn fast with downpicking, and I can tremolo really well, even across strings, but alternate picking is tough, Ive had to slow things down to a crawl, one note at a time, and then speed back up, and even then I make mistakes. The right hand/left hand coordination thing is tough. My advice, slow to a crawl and then work up your speed.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Sep 13, 2010,
playing with my teeth
i just cant do it ive practiced for weeks and it sounds like crap
but most techniques i do practice im average at learning them its mostly implemeting them that i have trouble with
i spent months practicing sweeps to make them clean and have yet to use it in any song
although it looks cool
Sweeping. I can't do it cleanly. My fingers can get the motion down, but I cannot pick it correctly. I can't get the literal "sweeping" motion of the pick to do it for me. I even try it without gain, I practice it clean, and it just sounds so sloppy. Also, tremolo picking. It's weird.
I do triplets so much, that's all I can do. I can't do actual tremolo pickups, like consistently picking one or more notes. It all comes out as triplets.

Damn you, Lamb of God!

EDIT: I just realized I wrote "tremolo pickups" instead of "tremolo picking"
But I'ma leave it, because it's funny.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by Mitochondria9
I broke my pinky when I was younger, and now my pinky has two positions, waaay up, or down, there is no way for me to smoothly flex it.

I can only use it for certain things, others.. its completely useless, so Ive kinda given up on fixing it, and just adapting with a faster ring finger.

reminds me django reinhardt. and he couldnt use his pinky or his ring fingers.

I've always had difficulty building up speed when soloing. I can play fairly melodical phrases when i play slow, but I always fall back to my pentatonics when I try to pick up pace.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Sweeping. I can't do it cleanly. My fingers can get the motion down, but I cannot pick it correctly. I can't get the literal "sweeping" motion of the pick to do it for me. I even try it without gain, I practice it clean, and it just sounds so sloppy. Also, tremolo picking. It's weird.
I do triplets so much, that's all I can do. I can't do actual tremolo pickups, like consistently picking one or more notes. It all comes out as triplets.

Damn you, Lamb of God!

Tremolo picking actually came kinda natural to me.

I was surprised how quickly I picked it up.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by TK1
reminds me django reinhardt. and he couldnt use his pinky or his ring fingers.

I've always had difficulty building up speed when soloing. I can play fairly melodical phrases when i play slow, but I always fall back to my pentatonics when I try to pick up pace.

I tried the finger independence exercises over and over, and my pinky never improved. So needless to say, I have a very far reaching ring finger now. I can do 5p9h5 quite well with my ring finger. Ive had trouble sounding hammer-ons on my low string, since I just went to a .60 for Drop B (which I play in constantly now), but thats a strength issue and will get fixed in due time.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Precise Alternate picking, up, down, up, down for changing strings. I tend to economy pick everything. :/
Quote by guitaristren
Precise Alternate picking, up, down, up, down for changing strings. I tend to economy pick everything. :/

i actually tend to have a harder time alternate picking for an extended time on a single string (like the first half of nevermore's enemies of reality) than i do switching strings. i don't know why.
Quote by Magero
I am a deathcore musician. I am above mere mortal minds.
8 finger tapping... I can do everything except my right hand pinky

Oh, and I don't have the patience for sweep picking. I can't do it, but then again, I never tried... I probably could if I practiced it some more.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
Quote by guitaristren

im exactly the same. ever since i started i played it how it felt best and turns out iv been economy picking everything. now when i try and specifically alt pick licks or bits in solos it doesnt happen so easily. i think i may be getting slightly better though.
Same with pinch harmonics, can do maybe 1 in every 5 attempts, just can't get them for some reason.
I can't seem to be able to play really fast on 2 string patters per string. 3nps is no problem, 4nps is okay but the damn 2 nps is killing me (only really happens when playing fast tho)
I'm having troubles transitioning quickly from staccato runs to tapping. I usually have to throw in some sort of sustaining bend/vibrato to compensate for my incompetence.

"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I'm pretty decent at all techniques i attempt and practice - because i put a lot of hours into them.

The only technique i can think of myself being sloppy at is sweep picking - but this is because i hate the sound of it, i think it's overused and stale sounding, and i think there are more interesting ways to achieve a similar sound, like string skipping. So yeah, i don't practice it because i hate it.
Quote by GilbertsPinky
I'm pretty decent at all techniques i attempt and practice - because i put a lot of hours into them.

The only technique i can think of myself being sloppy at is sweep picking - but this is because i hate the sound of it, i think it's overused and stale sounding, and i think there are more interesting ways to achieve a similar sound, like string skipping. So yeah, i don't practice it because i hate it.

Haha I see you are a big fan of Gilbert.

Personally I love sweeping, oddly enough one of the first techniques I learned on the guitar, whilst other people seem to struggle with it for years lol. In fact I think I could sweep before I could alternate pick properly.
Quote by piszczel
Haha I see you are a big fan of Gilbert.

Personally I love sweeping, oddly enough one of the first techniques I learned on the guitar, whilst other people seem to struggle with it for years lol. In fact I think I could sweep before I could alternate pick properly.

Thats nothin man! I Started sweeping BEFORE I learned to strum chords, BEFORE man, obviously I cant proof this, nor do I have clips of my playing on my profile, but hey believe me!
Quote by DavidBenyamin
Thats nothin man! I Started sweeping BEFORE I learned to strum chords, BEFORE man, obviously I cant proof this, nor do I have clips of my playing on my profile, but hey believe me!

I don't really care if you believe me or not. I said it as an interesting fact rather than "look at me, i can sweep". It's not a hard techique.

I've got videos of me sweeping if that's what you're interested in. They're not great, as my camera mic rapes the sound, but I've got proof.
^ I have the same problem. My recording set up is primitive to say the least and it makes stuff sound really out of tune when it isn't.

But yeah, sweeping is not hard i don't think. Newbies see it as the holy grail of technique - i think it's pretty easy once you've got your hands sync'ed. Fast string skipping is much harder because of the difficulty trying to mute.
True.
When I started playing guitar, my main goal was to be able to play the solo from "Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle". Which is like 2 easy sweeps. I thought it was gonna take me years to learn, but since I was so obsessed with learning how to sweep I learned it faster than most.

Fast string skipping is a lot harder IMO.