Page 1 of 2
warlockfan
247 IQ
Hey UG,

Everyday there are discussions on who the best song or band is. But what about covers? Are there any exceptions?
I am open to everyones opinions and can include studio recordings to live performances.
I wanna see what UG thinks!
Thanks.
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,300 IQ
In my opinion, yes. Cream's cover of Crossroads was, in my opinion, far superior to the Robert Johnson version.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
halfj06
565 IQ
marylin mansons sweet dreams
metallica's turn the page
zach in black
240 IQ
Quote by halfj06
marylin mansons sweet dreams
metallica's turn the page

I agree with the manson, but bob seger is clearly better than metallica. I would say johnny cash's cover of Hurt is better than the NIN. That is probably one of the best covers ever
gatechballer
Title #3
747 IQ
I like most of Metallica's "Garage Inc." covers more than the originals.

A bunch of Hendrix's stuff on his "Blues" album were actually songs by Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, etc, but he changed some of the names and improvised the leads. Ilike them much more than the originals, especially Mannish Boy.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
burndttoast
397 IQ
Radiohead's cover of Carly Simon's "Nobody Does it Better"
Eddie Vedder's cover of The Beatles' "Hide Your Love Away"
Jenny Lewis' cover of The Traveling Wilburys' "Handle With Care"
mtforever
UG's Mondo'ade
357 IQ
Off the top of my head, I prefer Joe Cocker's version of the Beatles' "With a little help from my friends" to the original. Because it's different, and good at being different.

If your just going to play a cover note for note (unless maybe your a cover band in a bar) then there really isn't a point to the cover. If the original artist already recorded a song a certain way, recording it in the same way is kind of redundant.

An example of a bad cover (IMO) is Aerosmith's cover of the Beatles' "Come together"

Sure the playing is good, they are all good musicians and Tyler is an excellent singer but the texture's in the song seem almost the same as the original. It's not different enough, nothing was accomplished with the cover other than a single that was sure to sell.

An example of a good cover (IMO) would be The Rolling Stone's cover of Robert Johnson's "Love in Vain"

The lyrics and basic structure are essentially the same, but the feel of the song is almost completely different, with more of a slow blues 6/8 feel. Arpeggiated chords as apposed to Johnson's delta blues riffs. Although I wouldn't call it better than the original, the stone's certainly make it their own.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
Andrewbiles
11,176 IQ
Quote by oneblackened
In my opinion, yes. Cream's cover of Crossroads was, in my opinion, far superior to the Robert Johnson version.

Search for Stephen Stills' version. It flows into a cover of 'You Can't Catch Me' on his live album. Truly mind blowing.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Delboyuk_01
855 IQ
Anything Jimi Hendrix covered that was by Bob Dylan, His like a rollin Stone was awsome and Bob Dylan actually credits Jimi for All along the watchtower on one of his albums.

As for Robert johnson covers, unless you do a cover in your bedroom on a cheap acoustic using a laptop mic to record with, it's obviously going to sound better lol.

REM'S version of love is all around is pretty good.
Petey D
World Class Sauce Jockey
171 IQ
Quote by mtforever

An example of a bad cover (IMO) is Aerosmith's cover of the Beatles' "Come together"

No way, you're on Dope, Areosmith's "Come Together" is hands down better than the Beatles', and Sound Garden's version is even better than that. The Beatles are waaaaaay over rated.

Other better than the original covers, Big Sugar's cover of BTO's "Let it Ride," and Seether's cover of "Careless Whisper." I'm also a big fan of Nonpoint's "In the Air Tonight" cover.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
-tempest-
hi, my name is matt.
751 IQ
probably already said but i like alien ant farms version of smooth criminal better than MJ's lol.
Robbin'TheHood
Reggae Freak
1,383 IQ
Quote by warlockfan
Hey UG,

Everyday there are discussions on who the best song or band is. But what about covers? Are there any exceptions?
I am open to everyones opinions and can include studio recordings to live performances.
I wanna see what UG thinks!
Thanks.

In my oppinion Sublime's cover of Were Only Gonna Die (For Our Own Arrogance) was better than the original.
mtforever
UG's Mondo'ade
357 IQ
Quote by Petey D
No way, you're on Dope, Areosmith's "Come Together" is hands down better than the Beatles', and Sound Garden's version is even better than that. The Beatles are waaaaaay over rated.

Other better than the original covers, Big Sugar's cover of BTO's "Let it Ride," and Seether's cover of "Careless Whisper." I'm also a big fan of Nonpoint's "In the Air Tonight" cover.

What aspect of the cover do you like better? Just curious.
Petey D
World Class Sauce Jockey
171 IQ
^ Pretty much every aspect. The guitar work has more texture, Steven Tyler's voice gives the song an edge, heavier bass and drum lines. It just plain rocks harder than the Beatles. But then again, the Beatles don't really rock very hard at all do they?
Petey D

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Banjocal
UG's only only
1,174 IQ
jonny cash - hurt
marilyn manson - sweet dreams (as mentioned)
him - solitary man
mad world
Rice_Pilot
337 IQ
UO's version of girl, you'll be a woman soon.
Last edited by Rice_Pilot at Sep 16, 2010,
mtforever
UG's Mondo'ade
357 IQ
Quote by Petey D
^ Pretty much every aspect. The guitar work has more texture, Steven Tyler's voice gives the song an edge, heavier bass and drum lines. It just plain rocks harder than the Beatles. But then again, the Beatles don't really rock very hard at all do they?

Thats fair enough, I just think they could of made it their own buy mixing it up a bit more.

And I don't think the point of the Beatles music was "rocking hard." it's not really an aspect that I look for in a beatles song. Sometimes I want to, and prefer to listen to the lighter textures in a beatles song.
Petey D
World Class Sauce Jockey
171 IQ
Quote by mtforever
I don't think the point of the Beatles music was "rocking hard." it's not really an aspect that I look for in a beatles song. Sometimes I want to, and prefer to listen to the lighter textures in a beatles song.

You'll get no argument from me on that note.

My issue with the Beatles really has nothing to do with the composition of the music, I look at the Beatles as some of the many godfathers of Pop music, and I'm of the opinion the Pop music is representative of all that is soulless and evil and a means for the corporate universe to control the masses and erase individuality. So as a matter of principal I don't like it. It's just a coincidence that it dosen't appeal to my personal taste either.

To each his own right?
Petey D

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
GnikNus
April Fool
111 IQ
^Seems a bit of a limiting way to view music but carry on as I'm unaffected.
On a similar topic, I've always preferred the Beatles' version of "Twist and Shout".
Also, Aretha Franklin's version of "Respect", The White Stripes cover of "Stop Breaking Down" (Though I love Robert Johnson), Scala & Kolacny Brothers cover of "Creep", The Black Keys doing "Never Gonna Give You Up", and Sublime's "We're Only Gonna Die (For Our Own Arrogance)". The list could go on for days I'm sure but I think I've made the point that some covers can overshadow the original.

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?
Codytheicecube
102 IQ
deftones-simple man
and i am really fond of shadows fall welcome to the machine
Last edited by Codytheicecube at Sep 17, 2010,
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture
4,254 IQ
Quote by Petey D

My issue with the Beatles really has nothing to do with the composition of the music, I look at the Beatles as some of the many godfathers of Pop music, and I'm of the opinion the Pop music is representative of all that is soulless and evil and a means for the corporate universe to control the masses and erase individuality. So as a matter of principal I don't like it. It's just a coincidence that it dosen't appeal to my personal taste either.

To each his own right?
Yes, to each his own, but only in regards to the fact that their sound doesn't appeal to you. Dismissing them right off the bat just because they influenced a genre that you don't like isn't a valid argument in my opinion. But that's another discussion for another thread.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
eXperiment63
747 IQ
Shinedown - Simple Man, One(Only their acoustic covers).

Seether - Careless Whisper, Rehab

Johnny Cash - Hurt
My Shtuffz!:

Luna Henna Oasis - Schecter Gryphon - Ibanez AEG20

Bugera 333XL - Peavey 212M
Hildesheimer
51 IQ
I've always enjoyed Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" over Leonard Cohen's. I don't really know why, probably because Buckley's has much more emotion attached to it.
MortifiedLizard
The Angered Reptilian
582 IQ
Johnny Cash - Hurt
John Mayer - Wait Till Tomorrow (I'm no Mayer fanboy, but his trio stuff is amazing. "Bold As Love" was his epic fail cover though)
Showbread - Safety Dance

and that's all I can think of actually.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
rflink
10 IQ
I love Aerosmith but, I agree with the people that like the Beatles version of 'Come Together' better than the cover. However, I think Aerosmith's cover of the Yardbirds version (also a cover) of 'Train Kept A Rollin' is fantastic.

A few years ago Styx released an album of cover songs. I liked their version of 'I Don't Need No Doctor' which was a cover of a Humble Pie release which was a cover of a Ray Charles song.

I love Linda Ronstadt. Her entire career was built on cover songs. Covers that I thought were better are than the original were 'Blue Bayou' by Roy Orbison', It's So Easy' by Buddy Holly, 'When Will I Be Loved' by The Everly Brothers, Poor Poor Pitiful Me' by Warren Zevon and 'You're No Good' originally recorded by Betty Everett. Van Halen also did a very good version of 'You're No Good'.

Speaking of Van Halen, though I loved the Kinks version of 'You Really Got Me' I did like Van Halen's better. I even liked their version of 'Happy Trails' better than Roy Rogers. On a live album, they did a respectable version of 'Won't Get Fooled Again' by the Who. I can't say I liked it better but, I thought Eddie doing the synthesizer solo on guitar was particularly impressive.

Speaking of the Kinks, I liked Green Day's version of 'Tired Of Waiting' better mainly because of the quality of the recording made on more modern equipment, even though Billy Joe wimped out slightly playing major chords or power chords instead of the 7th chords played on the original.

'Feelin' Alright' by Traffic was outdone by both Three Dog Night and Joe Cocker.

'Blinded By the Light' by Manfred Mann was better than Springsteen's.

'Summertime Blues' by almost everyone was better than the Eddie Cochran version. The Who and Blue Cheer come to mind. I said "almost everyone" because the Alan Jackson version sucked.

'Good Lovin' by the Rascals was a cover. I've forgotten who did the original.

I agree with Bob Dylan and all the other people that thought Jimi Hendrix did a better job with 'All Along The Watchtower'. 'Mr. Tambourine Man' is another Dylan tune. The Byrds did it better.

Very few people know that 'Without You' was originally done by Badfinger. It was first made famous by Harry Nillson in the early 70s. Mariah Carey had a hit with it too.

I could go on forever but, I'm starting to bore myself. Sorry.
kenfrazee@gmail
Banned
161 IQ
Type O Negative- "Cinnamon Girl"
Foo Fighters- "Down in the Park"
Fear Factory- "Cars"

Last 2 not necessarily better than Numan, just refreshingly different. The Down in Park cover kills me.
Tarsplitter
UG's JBJ
756 IQ
There are only two cases where I find a cover version far superior to the original:

Train Kept a Rollin' by Aerosmith
I Heard It Through the Grapevine by CCR
TheAzMyster
UG's sock puppet
376 IQ
I Like Motley's version of Anarchy in the UK more than the Sex pistols version.
I think simply because it's more up beat and it adds to "Anarchy" that is trying to be represented in the song
Quote by tastes_of_ink
^leg-end^

Calibos
291 IQ
Quote by burndttoast
Radiohead's cover of Carly Simon's "Nobody Does it Better"

lol irony
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
1,005 IQ
I marginally prefer Opeth's cover of Soldier of Fortune over the original song. Killer tune either way, but the cover was I suppose a refinement on the original. In my view, at least.

"Национальный танец русских - это на ваших ебаных могилах".
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
TJM2482
UG Monkey
6,835 IQ
Deftones?!?! Shinedown!?!? BLASPHEMY!

Skynyrd ain't gettin' outdone by some nu-metal band or a generic radio rock outfit.

I can't really think of any covers off the top of my head that managed to be better than the originals. Some are close though, such as BTBAM's Metallica/Pantera covers, Paul Gilbert's rendition of While My Guitar Gently Weeps, etc.
Mekchrious
755 IQ
Rascal Flats cover of Life is a Highway was better to me. Two different styles of music, but I like his voice much better.
MortifiedLizard
The Angered Reptilian
582 IQ
Quote by TheAzMyster
I Like Motley's version of Anarchy in the UK more than the Sex pistols version.
I think simply because it's more up beat and it adds to "Anarchy" that is trying to be represented in the song

It just makes no sense, Motley was a total hair band, basically representing everything the Sex Pistols hated. Not hating on either genre, just saying. It's like GnR covering Nirvana.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
IIjakeH
Like a Rolling Stone
345 IQ
Jimi hendrix's All along the watch tower was better than Bob Dylans in my opinion.
The Internet: It's serious business
TheLastAutobot
Wild Man Maxxx
34 IQ
Quote by IIjakeH
Jimi hendrix's All along the watch tower was better than Bob Dylans in my opinion.

Bob Dylan can write good songs but goddammit he can't play them for shit. Every bob dylan cover is better than bob dylan. ESPECIALLY Jimi's All Along the Watchtower.
Hildesheimer
51 IQ
I don't think it's his intention to be as technical as Hendrix was.
ohhey9040
Nature Without Man
577 IQ
The two that come to mind are John Cale's version of Hallelujah (the strings and the vocal performance just kill me) and Jim O'Rourke's version of the Spice Girls song Viva Forever. It's not all that hard to outdo a Spice Girls song but even by those easy standards he kills it.
MoosemartGuy
28 IQ
If the original is a Bob Dylan song is the original the cover is better ( not all of them though)

And Joe COcker also does some good covers, such as I get By with a little help from my friends
ironmanben
2,515 IQ
Motley Crue - Smokin' In The Boys Room. The original was great, but this blows it away!