Well i recently aquired a guitar that a guy i used to know had a long time ago. well he was one of those hardcore wanna-be types and its a starcaster, go figure. But he had put stickers on it and not cool stickers, like the skull and rose emo type stickers and he freakin wrote grim reaper all down the fretboard.

So in short put all that together and it looks like one giant tacky guitar thats been played by only wanna-bes. So how could i restore this to its former/a better glory?

As of now its black with a fake pealoid pickgaurd and is pretty much your standard strat copy. So suggestions on how to either keep the finnish or on what would be a better finnish and all that. I really plan on flipping this for cash so really its what i can do that will give me the most money and spending the least.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Dude it's a STARCASTER. Dont bother doing anything more then storing it in your attic or giving it to Goodwill.
My Gear:
Schecter Damien Solo Elite
Vox Valvetronix VT40 Combo Amp
Vox VFS5 5 Button Footswitch
^ So helpful...

Anyways, I'd like to know too. I have an offbrand guitar that I need restore that somebody wrote "JESUS" on the fretboard of with a sharpie.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
1. Gasoline
2. Fire
3. ?????
4. Profit
"yeah, well, you know...

that's just like... your opinion man."

-The Dude, His Dudeness
well i don't want it i have no attic theres no goodwill within 50 miles and i'd really like to turn a profit, i need a new gear. and also, depending on how dark the writing is, i think you can either scrape it off with a razor or LIGHTLY sand it off or maybe even some alcohol BUT i;m not sure how safe that would be for a fretboard, someone please check me on that.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
you could burn it, but seriously just clean it up? take the stickers off, see if you can remove any of the marks, maybe find out how to give the guitar a new finish, if the pickguard isn't ruined i'd keep it, they look nice :p or maybe you could take the stickers up and smash it up a little, make it look like a piece of shit without stickers, maybe hit the body with a hammer a couple times, put some cool dents in the wood :p no clue what i'm talking about, but it's a piece of shit guitar, **** around with it, i'm gonna get a hello kitty strat, pimp out the kitty, adjust the guitar and put it in baritone, it shall be brutal

edit: oh you want to sell it...never mind then...
Last edited by maowcat at Sep 14, 2010,
...y would u aquire a queeer guitar like that in the first place?

it was more of it was unloaded onto me so I'm just gonna take this as an easy profit.

also quit telling me how bad it sucks, its a starcaster i know they suck thats been established for years now.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Quote by maowcat
you could burn it, but seriously just clean it up? take the stickers off, see if you can remove any of the marks, maybe find out how to give the guitar a new finish, if the pickguard isn't ruined i'd keep it, they look nice :p

well theres about a quarter size chunk of the pearloid cover stuff missing, is that ruined?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
What's with all the people telling the TS to burn his guitar or give up?
Give a good answer, or kindly **** off.

To get the writing on the fretboard off, you may have to sand and refinish the neck.
The stickers, well, they're stickers. Stickers come off. You can use some cleaning stuff. But, make sure it's not acidic. I don't know about the finish quality on a Starcaster, but I'd imagine it is shitty quality.
Also, fix the headstock. They are very ugly. Cut it to a more nicer shape.

Any chance we can get pics?
..I was watching my death.
Peel the labels off. Take the residue off with a cloth wet with methylated spirits.

If its a maple fretboard with clearcoat on it, then you can use the same metho-cloth to rub the sharpie off most likely. If not it'll come off with very fine sandpaper or steel wool, but try not to take off the clear.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
For the stickers try rubbing alcohol, and if that doesn't work try lighter fluid. No joke, lighter fluid is pretty good at getting that shit off. As for the writing on the fretboard, just as you said, scrape the frets a bit with a razor, it won't hurt anything, and in fact, then any grime on the fretboard will be gone too.
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
How to deal with a starcaster:

1. Take starcaster

2. open window

3. promptly toss starcaster out of window.
"What's the matter? Cat got your tongue? Oh that's right, we do...right here in this jar!"
Unsure what good it'd do to your fretboard, but nail varnish remover breaks down permanent marker with ease, and the sticky residue under stickers, without damaging the finish.

Lighter fluid is definately the way to go though. Then treat your fretboard afterwards with lemon oil or similar.
For the stickers, there's a product called "goo gone" it's some REAAAAALLLLY powerful shit. just put some on a paper towel or a washcloth and scrub. It works real fast.
"What's the matter? Cat got your tongue? Oh that's right, we do...right here in this jar!"
Sounds like a great opportunity to learn about guitar repair/maintenance. My first guitar (20 years ago) had stickers on it when I unearthed it a few years ago. I peeled them off and used lighter fluid to remove the residue.

I don't think you'll be able to get much for it so it might be better to keep it for a project guitar.
alright wow thanks for all the help, and so i pretty much just need lemon oil and lighter fluid? and as for not getting much i'll take whatever i can get for it, 30 or 40 bucks would be fine since it was free. and i'll post pics here in just a minute.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15