For BTBAM tones i'd take the V3 over the HT-100. The Blackstar has the gain but honestly just isn't voiced quite right for tight modern metal. With a tube swap, OD and EQ you can get rid of most of the muddiness but the V3 will perform much better. It's not that the HT-100 is a bad amp, it's just more suited to post hardcore, pop punk kind of stuff IMO.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
For BTBAM tones i'd take the V3 over the HT-100. The Blackstar has the gain but honestly just isn't voiced quite right for tight modern metal. With a tube swap, OD and EQ you can get rid of most of the muddiness but the V3 will perform much better. It's not that the HT-100 is a bad amp, it's just more suited to post hardcore, pop punk kind of stuff IMO.

I had a feeling that might be the case. I just loved the simplicity of the Blackstar, but the V3 is a bad ass amp on it's own. I'll take your word for it considering you use ENGL. You obviously know what you are talking about. Thanks for the reply man, I appreciate it.
No probs man I am probably going to grab a HT-100 myself down the track but not for metal it's just got a strange voicing that doesn't work for metal IMO
hey man i just got this head its good for everything i play, which metal includes opeth swallow the sun etc. i think it would get to your stuff with a boost, but on its own as mentioned before its not "quite" voiced right. its not like extremely modern, like say the v3 or peavey 3120, but its a very good amp and by no means vintage, well, it can be very vintage, but speaking in terms of metal tones. consider it with a boost i guess. i would call this amp the british valveking, with some nice extras. very versatile.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
No probs man I am probably going to grab a HT-100 myself down the track but not for metal it's just got a strange voicing that doesn't work for metal IMO

Nice man! I might end up getting one myself sometime down the line. When you get one let me know how it is! Carvin V3 is my choice as of now. Just the head.

I'm saving a little extra on the side for an Avatar Contemporary Cab. Ever heard of that company?

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Check them out dude, I have heard nothing but great things.
Yeah people swear by Avatar here but i'm in Oz so they're about as common as a 3 armed hooker

The upside is that I can pick up an Orange 4x12 for under a grand which is a bargain

Linqua: Yeah i'm sure they are capable amps and when i've used them with an OD and EQ they were great for post hardcore tones