http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCdZwASSKuk&feature=related

In this video, Satch says that if you just play patterns within a scale really technically that is very obviously related to a chord progression, harmony, etc., the audience will be more turned off by the "technical wanking" than if you play something equally technical that goes outside the typical patterns and is less obviously tied to the chords.

This is really great advice, I think. It's all about being unique and creative.
yeah i like his lessons too
he seems like a cool guy in them makes me seem like hey maybe i can get there too with practice
He has a friendly attitude but I dont think he really shared much in this video?
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by nightwind
He has a friendly attitude but I dont think he really shared much in this video?

Satch has a tendency to say a whole lot of nothing

He's a great guitarist, but a bit of a nutjob with that whole pitch axis thing :S
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Quote by Tominator_1991
Satch has a tendency to say a whole lot of nothing

He's a great guitarist, but a bit of a nutjob with that whole pitch axis thing :S

there was some good tips in there. im not sure how you think he said nothing. sure pitch axis stuff isnt true modal playing, its still usable and interesting.
I think he said some good tips.

Like for me, when he talked about 'is this guy floating down the mississippi or the nile' it kinda says to me 'hey, even though I'm new at this stuff, it might help to think of my improvs as a form of story telling. and do i want someone to feel for example, tension? do i want them to to feel like they're hanging on with only their fingertips at a huge precipice?, do i want them to feel like they're on a front porch with a friend watching cars drive by and totally relaxed?'

Stuff like that helps me realize that i can put any mood into my(non-gigantic) guitar vocabulary. I think that made sense... ^.^
He says some interesting things but i see him as a bit of a hippy/a bit kooky sometimes.

And if it weren't for his amazing technical skills i don't think Satch would be famous, because his music isn't amazing.
Ya i don't like his music either. But i liked that particular idea.
Quote by GilbertsPinky
He says some interesting things but i see him as a bit of a hippy/a bit kooky sometimes.

And if it weren't for his amazing technical skills i don't think Satch would be famous, because his music isn't amazing.

Amazing technical skills? Not at all, back in the 80s he and Steve were doing crazy stuff no one had done before although compared to guitarists nowadays Satch isn't that technically advanced.

In his early career Satch's material was amazing, then after about 2000 he started making mediocre soft rock BS.
Quote by griffRG7321
In his early career Satch's material was amazing, then after about 2000 he started making mediocre soft rock BS.

Your sig cracks me up. ^.^
"A Bit of a nutjob" "A whole lot of nothing" "Not that technically advanced" "Music isnt that amazing"?

It's comments like these, that sum up so poignantly the intelligence and knowledge in this forum. Thank you for your removing all remaining doubts about some of you. I'm good now.

As for Satch, he remains the single most intelligent instrumentalist ever in the genres and Surfing will never be topped.

Nothing else has or will ever come close to it. Pitch axis and his 11 note theories are a hell of a lot more relevant than the drivel thats being passed as music by "technicians" these days. I will concede that his later works are eclipsed by his earlier works, but I never take that away from a man who is definitely head and shoulders above every shred guitarist out there today...put everyone else to one side of the shelf and put him and him alone on the other side.

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by Sean0913
"Not that technically advanced" .

Compared to guitarists nowadays, he's not. At no point did i mention that makes him any less of a guitarist/legend. He is one of my favourite guitarists after all.

Quote by Sean0913
As for Satch, he remains the single most intelligent instrumentalist ever in the genres and Surfing will never be topped.

Sean

With the addition of Flying in a blue dream and Not of this earth, +1
Quote by Sean0913
"A Bit of a nutjob" "A whole lot of nothing" "Not that technically advanced" "Music isnt that amazing"?

It's comments like these, that sum up so poignantly the intelligence and knowledge in this forum. Thank you for your removing all remaining doubts about some of you. I'm good now.

Nothing else has or will ever come close to it. Pitch axis and his 11 note theories are a hell of a lot more relevant than the drivel thats being passed as music by "technicians" these days. I will concede that his later works are eclipsed by his earlier works, but I never take that away from a man who is definitely head and shoulders above every shred guitarist out there today...put everyone else to one side of the shelf and put him and him alone on the other side.

Sean

This is the first time i've disagreed with you on anything, but i don't think Surfing is all that. I'd much prefer to shove on SFBADR by Paul Gilbert, because i like the music Gilbert's made much more than anything Joe's ever brought out. And genre 'intelligence' doesn't equate to good music - in my opinion a lot of Satch's music has got the 'person wanking over a backing track' feel to it, rather than sounding like a song in it's own right. But his music aside anyone that said he's not technically gifted is full of shít. (Btw, just to qualify my statement, i've got every one of Satch's albums.)

You can't put down a person for thinking Satriani isn't amazing, that just makes you as ignorant as the people you claim to be ignorant. It's applicable to the guy who said he's not technically great, but not to anyone that thinks his music is alright at best.
Last edited by GilbertsPinky at Sep 14, 2010,
Gilberts Pinky - You are right, I think that the comments I made in my response were the least applicable to you. For that I apologize. I actually respect, and think quite highly of you, and have, ever since I've been aware of you in this forum.

And Surfing... still rules all

AWMAWY? Hill of The Skull, Circles, SWTA, Crushing Day? All have themes, call and response playing etc...genius for when it was released. Are you sure someone didnt cleverly trick you into THINKING that you had the Surfing album and instead put a CD Label that said Surfing...over a Justin Beiber mix? THAT would explain it!

I'm not equating technique with musical ability, but Gilbert's leaned a lot more on his technique than writing...I mean who has the guitar picks and drill? Joe's rarely going over techniques and more musicality and musical thinking...

My favorite guy tho, is T Mac in the genre.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by SJPitrellifan
if you just play patterns within a scale really technically that is very obviously related to a chord progression, harmony, etc., the audience will be more turned off by the "technical wanking" than if you play something equally technical that goes outside the typical patterns and is less obviously tied to the chords.

This is really great advice, I think. It's all about being unique and creative.

So what you got out of that video is that whether you are "technically wanking" or not is directly correlated to the typicalness of the pattern your playing?

I don't believe he said or implied that.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by Sean0913
Gilberts Pinky - You are right, I think that the comments I made in my response were the least applicable to you. For that I apologize. I actually respect, and think quite highly of you, and have, ever since I've been aware of you in this forum.

And Surfing... still rules all

AWMAWY? Hill of The Skull, Circles, SWTA, Crushing Day? All have themes, call and response playing etc...genius for when it was released. Are you sure someone didnt cleverly trick you into THINKING that you had the Surfing album and instead put a CD Label that said Surfing...over a Justin Beiber mix? THAT would explain it!

I'm not equating technique with musical ability, but Gilbert's leaned a lot more on his technique than writing...I mean who has the guitar picks and drill? Joe's rarely going over techniques and more musicality and musical thinking...

My favorite guy tho, is T Mac in the genre.

Best,

Sean

Don't get me wrong, Crushing Day and AWMAWY are two of my favourite songs ever. But then i can be listening and i just lose inspiration after songs and songs of instrumentation. I love I Believe just because it's refreshing to hear something different out of Satch. And yeah i do have every Satch album but it could just be my personality - today i've gone from listening to Genesis, to listening to The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking by Roger Waters, to Crimson II by Edge of Sanity. I can't just listen to the same stuff over and over which is probably why by the end of a Satch record i can't wait for it to be over lol.
Quote by Sean0913

Sean

Ahh I'm not sure I can agree with this. This is the mark of an irrelevant artist. To me, he begain to fail to challenge himself as he went on. Past success should count for a lot less than it does in life. I mean, that SWTA album was about 20 + years ago or so.

And comparatively, the bit of advice he gives is better than most. But the fact that he makes such a huge deal about playing "out" combined with the efforts he has shown in the last decade I see someone now who lost the hunger. I mean sure, he doesnt have the artistically good fortune of dieing after his best work which would definitely have put him into another level of fame, but take someone like Leonard Cohen who did a tour recently at the age of 75.

Not only that, it was critically acclaimed and to my ears his best efforts at performance I've ever seen.

I mean, you are free to like an critique music on your grounds, but I thought what you said was just a bit..strange?
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Last edited by nightwind at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
So what you got out of that video is that whether you are "technically wanking" or not is directly correlated to the typicalness of the pattern your playing?

I don't believe he said or implied that.

What did he say/imply, then?
The most I have gotten from any Satch video on Youtube is the one where he lists all the things he can do with the whammy bar - and the other videos where he vaguely explains Pitch Axis Theory - something which seems fairly unnecessary for anyone that isnt him

I love Satch's music and his playing style, but it doesn't mean I have to connect with him as a person
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?