so, im looking into buying an ESp eclipse 2 or a LTD ec-1000 (both have the same pickups and no FR trem) and I'm curious: does the ESP justify its price over the LTD?

I have the money to buy the ESP but Im still curious as to what your thoughts are (especially anybody who owns one or the other). This isnt a cheap guitar and I want to get some opinions from somebody other than the salesman (as cool as he is, he does earn commission).

thanks
ESP:
Set-Neck Construction
24.75” Scale
Mahogany Body
Maple Top
Mahogany Neck
Ebony Fingerboard
42mm Bone Nut
Thin U Neck Contour
22 XJ Frets
Gold Hardware
Gotoh Magnum Lock Tuners
Gotoh TOM Bridge & Tailpiece
EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N) Active p.u.
Finish: VB (Vintage Black)

LTD:
Set-Neck Construction
24.75" Scale
Mahogany Body
Mahogany Neck
Ebony Fingerboard
42mm Earvana Compensated Nut
Thin U Neck Contour
24 XJ Frets
Gold Hardware
ESP Locking Tuners
Tonepros Locking TOM Bridge & Tailpiece
EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N) Active p.u.
Finish: VB (Vintage Black)

You'll notice the tuners are different, the inlays, the bridge and tail piece and the nut.
The ESP also has a maple top.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Last edited by Nolanrox at Sep 14, 2010,
The ESP standard doesn't have locking tuners and bridge but their Gotoh hardwares are of very good quality. The earvana nut gives better intonation for your guitar and generally it let the string slide easier. Bone nut gives better sustain but if not cut right it might catch the string during bend (but heck, it should be quite perfectly cut since it's ESP).

Also, generally you get better build with the Eclipse II because of their quality control standard and all. That doesn't mean the EC-1000 will always be inferior, though. With enough luck you might even get one EC that is on par if not better than the Eclipse. Not every guitar is the same, you know. Go to the store and feel them out for yourself.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Sep 14, 2010,
Comparing features isn't going to give you the whole story - it doesn't tell you how well the guitar has been put together, or whether the timbers used are of good quality. Thinking about it, that's the two things about a guitar that can't be changed, everything else (hardware, pups, etc.) can be swapped for better stuff, but the "core" of the guitar is there to stay... so it's good to keep an eye on the actual build quality instead of just features.

That being said, every ESP I have played (except for one, and I've played quite a few) sounded and played great, easily worth the money.
Ltd guitars I have tried, on the other hand, weren't as great but depending on location their prices are relatively low, so you get your money's worth still. Always been a fan of the 400/500/600-range models. The 1000 series aren't that much better than those imo. Plus the 1000 models are ugly as shit.

Sooo. Ltd guitars are nice enough, but ESP ones play in another league. If you can go ESP, do so.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 14, 2010,
As has been mentioned the ESP is a high quality guitar with high quality parts, craftsmanship, and materials while the LTD 1000 series offers a great 'bang for your buck' guitar being a high end mid-quality guitar. Either is a good choice. If you have a disposable income that is high and you want a superb quality instrument and are very serious about guitar and so on then the ESP is for you. If you aren't sure about spending the extra $ and don't need a 'top of the line' guitar then the LTD is for you. Remember that a lot of artists endorsed by ESP/LTD use their LTD line a lot, even those that use actual ESP's often have a couple LTD's that they tour with. Moreover, a lot of ESP endorsed artists use LTD's almost exclusively as the LTD-1000 line especially are great guitars for the touring musician.
ESP is better in every way to a LTD. They use better quality wood and have very high standards compared to LTD. ESPs are made partially by hand whereas LTD is completely assembly line. Bottom line is ESP guitars are better than LTDs but LTDs are pretty good value for money compared to others in its price range.
I have the EC-1000 in VB, and it's easily worth the money. But if you try out the Eclipse-II and you like it more, why not get what you really want?

The extra 2 frets and the price are the things that swayed me to the Ltd though...
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
sorry for the repost... tried searching it and evidently i couldnt spell "eclipse" properly. damn university education

thanks for the help anyways
I think it's going to just come down to what you prefer and what feels best to you. I have an Eclipse and I like it but I have played some very nice ltd deluxes and I have a few of the ltd line myself. My preference is to the old 400 and 500 models though. I've just never played a 1000 that actually sounded or played better. Prettier yes, but that shouldn't be the deciding factor to what you decide to play.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Quote by TheQuailman
Comparing features isn't going to give you the whole story - it doesn't tell you how well the guitar has been put together, or whether the timbers used are of good quality. Thinking about it, that's the two things about a guitar that can't be changed, everything else (hardware, pups, etc.) can be swapped for better stuff, but the "core" of the guitar is there to stay... so it's good to keep an eye on the actual build quality instead of just features.

That being said, every ESP I have played (except for one, and I've played quite a few) sounded and played great, easily worth the money.
Ltd guitars I have tried, on the other hand, weren't as great but depending on location their prices are relatively low, so you get your money's worth still. Always been a fan of the 400/500/600-range models. The 1000 series aren't that much better than those imo. Plus the 1000 models are ugly as shit.

Sooo. Ltd guitars are nice enough, but ESP ones play in another league. If you can go ESP, do so.

This.

After I take care of some QC issues on my Edwards (one actually involving the bridge), I have no doubt I will fall in love all over again.

Just like I did when I realized it had a severe neck bow 2 weeks after buying it, then fixed it. Oh dear sweet *insert deity here* that was amazing...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
This.

After I take care of some QC issues on my Edwards (one actually involving the bridge), I have no doubt I will fall in love all over again.

Just like I did when I realized it had a severe neck bow 2 weeks after buying it, then fixed it. Oh dear sweet *insert deity here* that was amazing...

If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with your bridge?

Also, you got the neck bow too? mine wasn't as bad but when I put higher gauge strings it had horrible fret buzz.
ESP by far, LTDs are cheap and crappy compared to the real deal. LTD do not hold a candle to ESPs. Your better off buying the least expensive ESP than the most expensive LTD. I haven't found one LTD guitar i would consider owning and I play and buy a lot of guitars!

John