Page 1 of 2
I was going to put this in the car thread, but figured it didn't make much sense going in there.

So, I passed my M license test this weekend, which I originally got just for the sake of having it just in case, but recently the idea has occurred to me that I really want to get a bike for riding to uni/weekend cruising since driving my car to school has become an insufferable pain in the ass.

I'm looking for a bike that would be ideally suited for someone who isn't really to certain on their preferred riding style yet/is still mastering the completely different driving experiences from cars.

Criteria:
- Has to be pretty neutral. I'm still finding my "style" and don't want to get stuck with something I may grow to not like.
- Cannot be hugely powerful. A bit of power is nice, but realistically there are no slow bikes on the market. EVERYTHING is fast on 2 wheels. I'm a very new rider and am definitely not comfortable with something like a Hayabusa or anything insane like that.
- Absolutely DO NOT want a chopper or a cruiser style bike. I do not like the riding style, hate the image, and majority are out of my price range anyways.
- Don't want to spend any more than $5000. I will be buying used.
- Oh, also no dual-sports. Not interested in ever taking it offroad. This will be a street bike through and through.
Thoughts, bikers of the pit?

I was looking at a Honda CBR recently, but I've heard they are very twitchy.

Some of the styles I'd be interested in, to help you along:

basically an average sport bike shape, but not overtly so.

I'd love a Buell bike, they're my favorite company, but I have to be realistic. They don't exactly make "beginner" bikes.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 14, 2010,
How tall are you?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
How tall are you?

6'0 even.

EDIT: I've heard great things about the Kawasaki Ninja and the Honda CBR. They seem to be the go-to beginner bikes, and there are many around in my school parking lot. But again, They're very light bikes and I've heard they can get squirrelly at high speeds. Can anyone confirm this?
..Are you still pretending to be middle class? Mr. I drive an Audi, BMW and now a motorcycle?

edit: and yeah, I know nothing of bikes.
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
..Are you still pretending to be middle class? Mr. I drive an Audi, BMW and now a motorcycle?

I don't drive an audi. I drive a BMW. my MOM is the audi driver. Since when were bikers upper class (especially when the budget is less than $5000) I assume you've never seen Rebel Without A Cause?
Quote by Thrashtastic15

edit: and yeah, I know nothing of bikes.

Don't forget the Mustang.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
6'0 even.

Reason I asked is some bikes sit to tall for somebody of shorter stature.
Maybe a Honda CBR600 series. Gots some balls and handles well. You could probably find a used one for about 5 or 6K
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I don't drive an audi. I drive a BMW. my MOM is the audi driver. Since when were bikers upper class (especially when the budget is less than $5000) I assume you've never seen Rebel Without A Cause?

When it's the BMW, bike, boat, and the Audi it starts to add up Shiny.

^ he sold the Mustang, the bastard.
What a maroon.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Thrashtastic15
When it's the BMW, bike, boat, and the Audi it starts to add up Shiny.

^ he sold the Mustang, the bastard.

not mine My parents bought those, not me.

The reason I can even afford these things is directly related to selling that mustang. (... you drive and A4 if I'm not mistaken? and a Charger before that? )

After looking at some of the specs on the Buell bikes, anybody know much about the Buell Firebolt? It's horsepower and torque is roughly on par with a CBR600, a little bit lower actually, but it's heavier, which I like. This may be an actual possibility.

I also like the Naked style quite a lot.
I was actually wondering recently if you were gonna delve into motorcycles with all the car crap you've already done. Why? I'm unsure. But I saw it coming

I have no idea for suggestions I started in 3rd grade on a dirtbike then a street legal on off yamaha... But cruiser/harley style bikes are a lot more comfy to ride, especially for distances. Sports bikes can get uncomfortable. Anywho, good luck finding a bike

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

The reason I can even afford these things is directly related to selling that mustang. (... you drive and A4 if I'm not mistaken? and a Charger before that? )

After looking at some of the specs on the Buell bikes, anybody know much about the Buell Firebolt? It's horsepower and torque is roughly on par with a CBR, but it's heavier, which I like. This may be an actual possibility.

Hey, I've got middle class cred. I'm a Bronte and Burlington boy, I spent all my life surrounded by the upper class.

It was a Challenger, my daddy gave me monies for a car in return for the Charger we were restoring

But this is not about me, stop evading.

edit: If you are going to get a bike get one that goes fast and stuff.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

After looking at some of the specs on the Buell bikes, anybody know much about the Buell Firebolt? It's horsepower and torque is roughly on par with a CBR600, a little bit lower actually, but it's heavier, which I like. This may be an actual possibility.

I also like the Naked style quite a lot.

If you can live with the Harley vibration go for it. Cheaper than a Honda anyways.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Thrashtastic15

edit: If you are going to get a bike get one that goes fast and stuff.

well that's... all bikes pretty much lol.

I'm really liking the Buell Firebolt. **** me it sounds brutal. The only problem is, it's a wheelie monster, and boy do insurance companies ever know it.

EDIT: Just as I suspected, a Buell Firebolt will run me $612 a month, a Honda CBR600F with MORE power, MORE torque, LOWER weight, and an obviously racier image goes for $300 a month It's all down to the displacement of the engine with these guys.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
well that's... all bikes pretty much lol.

I'm really liking the Buell Firebolt. **** me it sounds brutal. The only problem is, it's a wheelie monster, and boy do insurance companies ever know it.

When you die can I have your bmw? >_>

yeah..wait a minute. If you had to sell your Mustang because of insurance, how do expect to afford insurance on a motorcycle?
Quote by Thrashtastic15
When you die can I have your bmw? >_>

yeah..wait a minute. If you had to sell your Mustang because of insurance, how do expect to afford insurance on a motorcycle?

because motorcycle insurance is lower as long as I dont get anything with an engine bigger than 800cc. The buell is more than 1200. It is fairly obviously out of my league for a few more years
I got a Hyosung 650R when I was 15. Pretty nice bike and cheap. It requires a bit more leg length to ride than a Ninja but unless you've got a freakishly long torso and short legs you should be fine at 6'. I drive my Mustang a hell of a lot more these days though. Air conditioning and 1000w sound systems FTW.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
yeah Honda CBs of any kind are pretty boss, i'd back up Jackal's rec.

you really don't need anything more than 600; it'll outspeed anything else on the road anyway.

also good for you for not getting a stupid Harley/cruiser that gets 0-60 in 12 seconds or something. this world needs fewer ape-hanger bikers.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Quote by RPExecutor

you really don't need anything more than 600; it'll outspeed anything else on the road anyway.

also good for you for not getting a stupid Harley/cruiser that gets 0-60 in 12 seconds or something. this world needs fewer ape-hanger bikers.

Only problem with the CBs is the insurance. Every insurance company seems to equate "CBR" with "CBR1000RR" regardless of the model or the displacement. They seem to just be permanently high. I was also looking at the Yamaha FZ6 which is a little down on power compared to the comparable CBR, but the insurance is only about $250 a month. Lower down on the scale, my cheapest possible bike to insure appears to be the Ninja 250R. It's also the cheapest to buy a 250cc seems like a pretty solid starting point to be sure, but that Yamaha is unbelievably cool looking for a beginner bike:

The engine is a detuned R6 if I'm not mistaken.
I ride a KLR 650 and it's great.
Top 5 Rush Songs:
1. La Villa Strangiato
2. Natural Science
3. The Main Monkey Business
4. Vital Signs
5. Subdivisions

Complete Atomic Basie by Count Basie.

Ask me shit: formspring.me/howthiswork
Quote by RPExecutor

Harleys are awesome if that's what you want, don't be such a tool.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Harleys are awesome if that's what you want, don't be such a tool.

Harley's WERE awesome, once. back in the 50s.

This is what used to spring to mind with the word "Harley"

but now?

seriously, **** harleys. I'd rather ride a Honda Goldwing. The only good thing Harley has done since the 70s is start Buell.
My dad had a Harley, he's a Risk Advisor for banks. Fuck Harley? No. Fuck stereotypes. If I had any choice of bike I'd get a Harley or a custom chopper, the noise, the look, it's just awesome.

I could easily say that anyone who rides a sports bike is a douche in nothing but trainers, shirt and jeans with a helmet who sits next to you until the most in appropriate moment when they over take almost killing themselves and making you crash. But I don't, because a bike and it's rider are not related. So what if some Harley riders take it too seriously and look like that, that doesn't mean that a normal person can't have one and not expect to get mocked. Just like someone who gets a sports bike doesn't have to act like a tool or dress like a power ranger.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Only problem with the CBs is the insurance. Every insurance company seems to equate "CBR" with "CBR1000RR" regardless of the model or the displacement. They seem to just be permanently high. I was also looking at the Yamaha FZ6 which is a little down on power compared to the comparable CBR, but the insurance is only about $250 a month. Lower down on the scale, my cheapest possible bike to insure appears to be the Ninja 250R. It's also the cheapest to buy a 250cc seems like a pretty solid starting point to be sure, but that Yamaha is unbelievably cool looking for a beginner bike:

The engine is a detuned R6 if I'm not mistaken.

Do not buy a Ninja 250R. It's the Spider III 15watt of the bike world. Buell.. I hate 'em. "Beginner" bikes typically handle like crap. That's why they're beginner bikes. Insurance.. well you gotta have insurance but don't don't bother insuring the bike itself. I mean why pay $300+/month to insure a $5000 bike?? If I was going to buy a bike for commuting and fun and generally not crashing I'd get something like this. (I have no idea what it costs though)

Do not buy a Ninja 250R. It's the Spider III 15watt of the bike world. Buell.. I hate 'em. "Beginner" bikes typically handle like crap. That's why they're beginner bikes. Insurance.. well you gotta have insurance but don't don't bother insuring the bike itself. I mean why pay $300+/month to insure a $5000 bike?? If I was going to buy a bike for commuting and fun and generally not crashing I'd get something like this. (I have no idea what it costs though)

I don't think the Duke would be a really good choice for a beginners bike, besides that it would also cost double TS's budget.

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/new-rider-forums/421526-got-beginner-motorcycle-mind-check-list-first.html

Have a look at this site. There's a whole section for new riders, someone there should be able to give you some good advice
I'd give you a month or 2 till you get bored of a 250cc bike and it's speed. Look for at least a 400-500cc. Even if you do have the power there you don't have to use it. Stay sensible with your throttle and it won't matter what engine you have. Keep in mind about the weight though, as heavy bikes are a real pain in the arse to move about if your not using the engine. Also it hurts a lot more if you fall and it lands on you.
The FZ6 you looked at, is that a fazer 600? My mate had one of them, it suited him alright until he moved on to a vtr 1000 firestorm. the fazer sounds like a hair dryer, the vtr sounds like a literal storm.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by Blayney
The FZ6 you looked at, is that a fazer 600? My mate had one of them, it suited him alright until he moved on to a vtr 1000 firestorm. the fazer sounds like a hair dryer, the vtr sounds like a literal storm.

That would be one yes.

In terms of beginners bikes from the big manufacturers you will probably looking at the following

Honda CBR series or Hornet
Suzuki Bandit series
Kawasaki Ninja series
Yamaha Fazer or Diversion series
I was thinking of doing something similar as TS and getting a bike for my last year of Uni. How many Miles\gallon do these things get?
Depends on the bike and how you ride it. They can get excellent MPG though, as they weigh rather a lot less than a car.

^^ I've heard the Bandits are pretty decent.

My 125cc did 90-100+ mpg depending on the season and rising conditions.

My GSX650F does 30-40 I imagine, I drive that like a twat for the most part though.
JackalUK - I see you're in Wales, where abouts? Got any good roads?

Newport, and I've yet to take the bike out anywhere. Just used it for commuting to work. I hear there are some good rouds round the back of Caerleon though and up north.
Ah I see. Yeah for the decent roads it's best to head north. Lots of nice stuff through the brecon beacons, heads of the valleys n all that.

The best 50 cc in the world is the Yamaha DT 50 LC.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Get a second-hand Triumph.
You can either get one of the newer Japanese looking 'plastic rocket' types that will depreciate in value or a vintage one that can still manage to appreciate in value.
Good make, brilliant pedigree, and doesn't look anything like a Harley

Better yet, you want something for the road? Build, a 'Triton'.
Back in the day, guys used to build what were known as 'cafe racers' out of Norton frames and Triumph engines (hence the name Triton). They go like stink, are reliable, easy to work on and handle superbly. It'd cost a fraction of the cost you are allowing to build, (so long as you source the parts carefully) they still look good compared to a modern racing type bike and if you ever sell it, you'll probably make a tidy profit, so long as you do a good job of building it.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 14, 2010,
I can't stand those types of bikes, café racers. I like the look of choppers and plastics though. Quite fond of naked streets / tourers too.
Cruisers all the way, baby. When I get a motorcycle it's definitely going to be a cruiser, I reaally can't see myself having some sporty looking bike.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by JackalUK
I can't stand those types of bikes, café racers. I like the look of choppers and plastics though. Quite fond of naked streets / tourers too.

Personaly, I prefer choppers myself, but I thought that a cafe racer would be more suitable for Lt. Shinysides tastes while still being classy, although I'd rather have bigger tires than the one in the picture.
Quote by JackalUK

This. I love the Naked Style. Streetfighters can go a bit too far sometimes, but otherwise they look amazing.

The Suzuki Bandit is looking pretty solid the problem is that on the vast majority of them, the displacement is monstrous. The second I go over 600CC they hit me real hard on the insurance, like $1000 a month. Anything in the 500-600 range will run about $300 a month, which is lower than I'm paying for my car right now, which is awesome.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Get a second-hand Triumph.

I've always wanted a Triumph Bonneville. Unfortunately, the insurance on the old classics are about as mad as you can get. The newer Bonneville 790s are probably far better insurance wise, I have yet to get a quote though.
Page 1 of 2