Most annoying conversation/argument you have had with a very religous person?

Page 1 of 3
Before I write this post, I just want to say that I don't mean to offend any relgious people here, just Young Earth Creationists/Mormons/Jehovah's Witnesses. I can respect that people can have beliefs that I do not share or understand, but some people are just stupid.

I was talking with a Jehovah's witness friend of mine and he was trying to explain how the great flood was caused by a canopy of water held above the earth, that was eventually released. After laughing for about 10 seconds, I realised he was serious. I asked him about how sunlight would get through the water canopy, and how the temperature would within the livable range for humans. All the answers I got were - "I don't know everything, turn to God", and "Read the bible and you will understand". People like him just annoy me.
We always have debates about religous stuff, and he just never listen to reason. He always just ends up saying stuff like "I looked through all the differenet religoins, Christianity was the most logical" (I wonder if his parents had anything to do with that...?)

What about you guys?
why wont you leave my porch, Mormon.

or should I say, Moron?
muahahha
i felt like a freaking genius
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
My religious beliefs are written law, your beliefs are shit

This replies to atheists/christians/jews/muslims/deists/buddhists/etc
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Before I write this post, I just want to say that I don't mean to offend any relgious people here, just Young Earth Creationists/Mormons/Jehovah's Witnesses. I can respect that people can have beliefs that I do not share or understand, but some people are just stupid.

I was talking with a Jehovah's witness friend of mine and he was trying to explain how the great flood was caused by a canopy of water held above the earth, that was eventually released. After laughing for about 10 seconds, I realised he was serious. I asked him about how sunlight would get through the water canopy, and how the temperature would within the livable range for humans. All the answers I got were - "I don't know everything, turn to God", and "Read the bible and you will understand". People like him just annoy me.
We always have debates about religous stuff, and he just never listen to reason. He always just ends up saying stuff like "I looked through all the differenet religoins, Christianity was the most logical" (I wonder if his parents had anything to do with that...?)

What about you guys?

Stopped reading, you're an asshole.
I got into an argument with a devout atheist and he couldn't answer my question of how matter could come out of nothing. Score 1 for my homeboy Jesus!
Someone said Jesus hates gay people. I just turned away and left
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I walked into the local mall the other day and a man handed me a pamphlet about Jesus and said "Jesus loves you" so I responded with "ignorance really is bliss isn't it?"

But for real, most annoying conversation ever? I'm a theology major so every one of my classes is like 95% religious nut jobs so almost every conversation I've had within those classes was pretty frustrating.
them:
do you believe in god

me:
no

them:
why not? was it drugs, or alcohol?

me:
no

them:
did someone in the church hurt you?

me:
no, i decided to research "X" religion and found too many inconsistencies

them:
(blank stare on face)

Some people just cant seem to understand why some dont believe in a higher power.
Quote by Meelad360
Stopped reading, you're an asshole.

I understand that it comes of that way but this is a special case. I would never react like that to a stranger or an older person. But this is a person who I have been having arguments with for over a year, we make jokes about eachothers beliefs all the time, don't take that the wrong way.

EDIT: Also, I actually thought he was joking. I wasn't just making fun of him.
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at Sep 14, 2010,
i told a Jehovah's witness that came towards me, to me talk about god, that god isn't real. it was a fun fill conversation which left that poor, broken man pounding the pavement pretty hard after we parted ways. it was annoying until i found out how mad it made him. remembering this helps me understand trolls on the internet a lot more.
Last edited by -tempest- at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by RU Experienced?
I got into an argument with a devout atheist and he couldn't answer my question of how matter could come out of nothing. Score 1 for my homeboy Jesus!

Can't tell if serious...

The one that always gets me is when I get into an argument with people who claim that non Christians falter under adversity because they don't have a purpose to believe in.

EDIT: Oh. And there was the time I had to pick my dad up from the airport and get him to a meeting at a certain time when I was accosted by Mormons. I was walking out to my car all nonchalant, completely unaware of the approaching danger. When I got out to the side driveway I keep my car on they came out from around a large bush that faces the street in my neighbor's yard. I tried being friendly and told them that I didn't have time because I was on a tight schedule. But when one of the "elders" opened his mouth and said "You have all the time in the world with Jesus" and tried to get me to stay by placing his hand on my shoulder, I flipped shit. Just one of those days where I could not deal with stupid.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by RU Experienced?

actually i can easily answer that.
I'm Christian-Anglican. I know what your saying, yes sometimes people dont always know what their talking about or are led to believe something that sounds crazy. I dont think this is a very appropriate place for this kind of discussion. Maybe you should read the Bible, just to get an idea of why some of us believe what we do. Just an idea.
Also, he always says "You just don't understand!" or changes the subject near the end of an argument.
I have a friend who is a devout mormon who is about to go on his two year extended religious vacation. I don't hate the guy, but sometimes he's downright annoying. The worst is when we go see movies. Now I can understand not wanting to see an R rated film, sex, nudity, gore and strong language, but I really get annoyed when he won't see a movie because it has a few swear words and blood. I just don't get it and I have to hear it every time we decide to see a film. The same thing goes for video games. If it's got swearing and blood in it he won't play it, even if it's rated T. The thing that really gets on my nerves about this is he will play a game where you beat the living daylights out of someone and show no mercy, but as soon as he sees blood or hears swearing, that's it! The game is bad. He's a good guy, but geez could he be any more annoying?
Last edited by Phat Stud 55 at Sep 14, 2010,
With an ex secular turned into an ultra orthodox Jew. Ugh.
- So if you have a firefighter who puts his life on the line for others, but eats pig, and on the other side you have an awful person who happens to be very religious and follows most of the commandments, who is more likely to go to heaven?
- The religious one.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by wheatking
I'm Christian-Anglican. I know what your saying, yes sometimes people dont always know what their talking about or are led to believe something that sounds crazy. I dont think this is a very appropriate place for this kind of discussion. Maybe you should read the Bible, just to get an idea of why some of us believe what we do. Just an idea.

I get that he is not representative of your entire religion, but that's the point. I don't wan to get into a theological disscusion, I just want to hear funny things people have said.
Also, I have read mnay parts of the Bible, as well as the Qu'ran (sp?), none of them worked for me.
Quote by silversoulcage

But for real, most annoying conversation ever? I'm a theology major so every one of my classes is like 95% religious nut jobs so almost every conversation I've had within those classes was pretty frustrating.

Personally, I feel both religious and non-religious people don't know what they're talking about half the time. I really couldn't be bothered to research enough to argue either way (despite being Christian myself) so I don't get involved in debates. Props to you for being a theology major with a brain. I think people in general are fairly ignorant about stuff when they debate, so
Quote by killboypowerhed
religion sucks. all it does is cause trouble between people.

Meh. So does anything when it's misinterpreted by stupid people or used by a few intelligent persons to control the masses. Religion isn't inherently evil IMO. It's the way it's twisted around to suit people's purposes that is. My beef with religion is the ignorance some groups promote. The story of Adam and Eve is a good example.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I'd just rather not argue with those kind of people. I've seen some pretty funny things though.
Quote by Avedas
Personally, I feel both religious and non-religious people don't know what they're talking about half the time. I think people in general are fairly ignorant about stuff when they debate, so

Ding Ding Ding!

ITT: intolerant people whine about intolerant people.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Last edited by The_Future_Soon at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by The_Future_Soon

Pretty accurately summarizes the pit.

TS, people believe what they want to believe.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by RU Experienced?
Go for it; how does matter manifest itself out of nothing?

Simple it doesnt have to. The first law of thermodynamics simply states that energy and matter can neither be created nor destroyed by natural forces. so it stands to reason that Matter and energy were always there, they only change form.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Go for it; how does matter manifest itself out of nothing?

There are two ways I usualy answers this. I'm not a physicist, and I don't know a lot, but this is what I do know-

1) This first argument doesn't really answer the question, but it is still a good point. How does god manifest himself out of nothing? Some answer this with, he was just there, all the time, but if he was "just there" whay can't the universe be "just there". Why add in an extra step of a god if it is just as unlikely that he existed in the first place?

2) Matter cannot matearialize out of nowhere now, but at the singularity at the beginning of the universe, the laws of physics did not apply. The singularity has inifinite denisity and infinite curvature. All of our formulas and ideas do not work. Matter could have come from nowhere in this state. We don't yet know exactly how this occured, but don't turn to a god for answers as soon as there is a piece of information that science does not know yet.
Quote by The_Future_Soon
Ding Ding Ding!

it's not about tolerance for me. I'm not interested in someone else's beliefs. it's people saying the same exact things over, and over, and over, and over again. like the repetition makes their point more valid, or people will start agreeing with them just to get them to shut up.
Quote by The_Future_Soon
Ding Ding Ding!

This isn't an Argument or a Conversation in a sense. Hopefully it can be a somewhat entertaining story, though.

I had Mormons sent to my house by my old High School's devout Mormon principal. They came, and we let them in. This was one of the biggest mistakes evar. They talked about the Bible with us, and out of courtesy, my cousin and I went to Church with them. The service was horribly bland, and we left thinking that was it. It wasn't. They were hellbent on a conversion, so they made pests of theirselves and continued to come. They continued to come for about 3 weeks afterward. After a few visits, in which they seemed to have a jolly ignorance to my Family's obvious disliking of them, they gave me a book of Mormon, which I threw away immediately after they left.

They knew I played Guitar and we had some "Jam Sessions" which were utter B.S. The main Mormon in charge of the conversions couldn't play "Dammit" by Blink 182 with out messing up. They found out that I wanted to start a band, so they brought me a potential Rhythm Guitarist. He was a fellow Mormon who thought he was a killer player, and cocky as hell. So, we go plug into my amp, and the guy trys playing some riff he made up, it was horrible. He thought he was tearing it up, and I took the Guitar and Played some Paul Gilbert-ish licks(Note this wasn't with sloppy elbow picking technique, but they couldn't tell good technique if it slapped them in te face). He went from having a cocky streak to a look of intimidation. He tried to play the Beast and The Harlot riff in response, but I just shredded some more. I was putting no focus on melody at all, as I didn't take this seriously, and was essentially looking at it as a Shredfest. Eventually, realizing that he wasn't that good, he resulted to auditioning for the Singer. He sung some original lyrics, which were horrible, and I was looking at him like he was a retard. Knowing how bad they had failed with this, they left, and never came back.
Truth is, no one knows how the universe started, and both sides have their own proof of questionable validity. The only noteworthy difference in the two proofs is how they were gathered: through historical study of unverifiable religious documents and figures or through making really good guesses on top of other really good guesses that are primarily backed up by hypothetical mathematics and mysterious phenomena that we have yet to begin to comprehend.

In the end, you're choosing between man's old best guess and his new one, and no one should pretend otherwise.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Last edited by The_Future_Soon at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by The_Future_Soon
Truth is, no one knows how the universe started, and both sides have their own proof of questionable validity. The only noteworthy difference in the two proofs is how they were gathered: through historical study of unverifiable religious documents and figures or through making really good guesses on top of other really good guesses that are primarily backed up by hypothetical mathematics and mysterious phenomena that we have yet to begin to comprehend.

In the end, you're choosing between man's old best guess and his new one, and no one should pretend otherwise.

+1 to you, sir.
Quote by The_Future_Soon
Ding Ding Ding!

Intolerance is what causes problems between people. There's intolerant, horribly stupid beyond belief people on both sides of the spectrum. Atheists hate religion. Religion hates everything other then itself. How big a deal they make over it determines how many problems there will be between people.

It's interesting, when a group of people all believe in one religion, they all seem to forget each others differences, and focus their attention on another group of people.

Atheists, on the other hand, are separate until a problem comes up to which they can all relate to. Then they group together until they no longer can relate to each other though problems.

Extreme generalization, speaking.

Ah, I'm really getting off topic. This stuff isn't as black and white as people make it out to be.
The night I broke up with this girl (who is agnostic, or at least claims to be), she immediately reached for my bible and tried to tell me that God hated me because I lied at one point in the relationship.

That's about the most annoying I've had I tend to stay away from talking about religion with others.
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
There are two ways I usualy answers this. I'm not a physicist, and I don't know a lot, but this is what I do know-

1) This first argument doesn't really answer the question, but it is still a good point. How does god manifest himself out of nothing? Some answer this with, he was just there, all the time, but if he was "just there" whay can't the universe be "just there". Why add in an extra step of a god if it is just as unlikely that he existed in the first place?

2) Matter cannot matearialize out of nowhere now, but at the singularity at the beginning of the universe, the laws of physics did not apply. The singularity has inifinite denisity and infinite curvature. All of our formulas and ideas do not work. Matter could have come from nowhere in this state. We don't yet know exactly how this occured, but don't turn to a god for answers as soon as there is a piece of information that science does not know yet.

1. You're right, that doesn't answer the question.

God exists outside of our universe and we cannot test or observe the forces that he is subject to. Perhaps he was created himself by another God, who's to say.

2. The question is how did the singularity of infinite density come into fruition to begin with.

Quote by Alucard817
Simple it doesnt have to. The first law of thermodynamics simply states that energy and matter can neither be created nor destroyed by natural forces. so it stands to reason that Matter and energy were always there, they only change form.
Yes, it cannot be created nor destroyed by natural forces. God, being omnipotent and all, is not bound by the natural laws that he himself created (or set in motion I should say).
Quote by RU Experienced?

Yes, it cannot be created nor destroyed by natural forces. God, being omnipotent and all, is not bound by the natural laws that he himself created (or set in motion I should say).

I showed how there is no god needed for energy and matter to exist, and you completely ignore it.
Quote by The_Future_Soon

No they don't. Stop trying to say both sides are of equal worth in this when they clearly are not, as much as people like this idea that all opinions about religion are equal , that isn't the case.
Page 1 of 3