title is pretty explanatory. I was just wondering why, it seems to me that a bolt on acoustic would finction perfectly well. Is it just because acoustics hace set necks like its always been? just curious TY.
no sir away a papaya war is on
It would be awkward to do wouldnt it?
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
its a good question, but i agree with what Hong said. Also it would sound like crap.
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
Why don't they ever have bolt-on necks? I'd say the biggest reason is because they do.
They do have bolt-on necks. Every single Taylor guitar has a bolt on neck. You just don't see it because it's inside the guitar and not as noticeable as on an electric guitar.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
My old Eko 12 string had a bolt-on neck. It also had an adjustable bridge to set the action nicely. No, it didn't sound terrible, either.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by strumandbang
Why do very few acoustics have maple fretboards?

Maple fretboards were originally used as a cost saving measure. They don't really tend to last as well as ebony or rosewood. There's nothing really wrong with maple, per se... It's just not traditional.
Equipment:

When you buy various "kit" guitars from Stewart-McDonald, you generally have your choice of bolt-in or glue-in necks.
To try to use a Fender-type bolt-on, you'd need a rather massive neck block and very long screws; acoustic guitars are much deeper than electrics. Balance and weight would be a factor.
If I'm not mistaken... the "bolt-on" necks for acoustic guitars still have a sort of puzzle piece joint that's both glued and screwed in. The glue weakens with sufficient heat, making the neck very easy to replace.
Equipment:

Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
My Guild has a bolt-on neck. I personally don't think that it makes the guitar sound one way or the other. Maybe it improves the sound, maybe it degrades it. All I know is that my Guild sounds fine.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Quote by strumandbang
Why do very few acoustics have maple fretboards?

Maple boards have to be laquered before it can be used and Ebony/Rosewood are unfinished and last a life time.

Many acoustics do have bolt on's and they are MUCH easier reset necks with bolt on as compared to dove tails joints. No tonal/structural differences either.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
Last edited by |Long| at Sep 14, 2010,
Many manufacturers and luthiers use bolt on necks. Taylor is probably the most recognizable of the mass producers. Their NT neck utilizes bolts with no glue, but the pre-NT neck does only to glue the fingerboard on the soundboard. Breedlove and Seagull are also manufacturers that uses them. Collings and Stonebridge (Furch) are famous small shop builders that utilizes bolt-on. Goodall is another. So is Bourgeois. You get the point.

When they are done correctly there is no difference in sound quality. Bolt-ons do have the advantage of an easier neck reset procedure than dovetail, but dovetail is traditional and it works very well. I don't usually buy a guitar for its neck joint and I would generally advise the same thing for others as well.
Taylor 710 97'
Taylor 414ce LTD-R Fall 09'
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M
Custom strat

My photography