I'm trying to decide what order to buy my new pedals in. I've decided on a BOSS TU-3 Tuner, BOSS GE-7 EQ, and a BOSS CS-3 Compression-Sustainer. Problem is, I don't have the money for all of them right now, so I'm wondering what you think the right order to get them in is.

Current pedal set up:
Zoom Multi-FX acting solely as a tuner (it's rather large and clunky which is why I want the BOSS)
TS808 Tubescreamer
BOSS CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
MXR Phase 90

If you have suggestions for different pedal choices than the ones above (a different brand EQ or Compression) by all means, I'm open to suggestions. I would like to stay below $150 USD for each pedal. The music I play is mainly pop-punk (Green Day, Paramore, Blink), Modern Rock (RHCP, Foo Fighters, Muse, Kings of Leon), and John Mayer. The amp I currently have is a B-52 AT 112, but I'd rather focus on the pedals right now.
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Of those three I'd go EQ or Tuner, but it depends on whether or not you're happy with your tone right now.

EDIT: The MXR EQ's are pretty excellent, specifically the 10 band, but it can be a bit overwhelming.
Last edited by telemetal at Sep 14, 2010,
If you're gigging, a tuner is the single most important thing. Rather than limit yourself to one mediocre brand, take a look at some alternatives:

Boss TU-3 - TC Electronic Polytune (same price)
Boss GE-7 - MXR 6-band EQ ($39 saving)
Boss CS-3 - GFS Sweet Sparkle ($20 saving)
Definitely a tuner. Boring, but totally essential.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by kyle62
If you're gigging, a tuner is the single most important thing. Rather than limit yourself to one mediocre brand, take a look at some alternatives:

+1 to buying quality, not just a name.
the TU-2/3 is ok, and the mute function (or non-mute, depending on your needs) can be useful, but don't even bother with the GE-7 or CS-3.

btw, a DIY dyna/ross comp would sound waaay better and save you somewhere in the ballpark of $50.
Ok. I was looking at mainly the BOSS stuff because I do plan on gigging and that's what my guitar teacher recommended (He's been gigging worldwide for 10 years or so). One thing that I was looking for with the EQ was 10-band, not 7-band, so any ideas for a 10-band EQ other than the BOSS?

Quote by GrisKy
btw, a DIY dyna/ross comp would sound waaay better and save you somewhere in the ballpark of $50.

How would I go about doing that? Could you supply a link to something please?

And I plan on switching between Standard, Eb, and Drop D tunings. I heard the PolyTune only works for Standard, and I'm pretty much set on the BOSS for that.

Gimme some more info concerning the others though! I really appreciate it
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
^Get the MXR 10-band, only 10-band EQ I know off.
For the tuner, get a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner unless you really need the buffer
Get a good compressor instead of the Boss. You can get a used Keeley 2-knob for $160 or so which will beat the CS-3's ass, eat it, spit it out, eat it again and then poop it out.
Thanks for the link GrisKy! I'll most likely be doing that for a compressor.

As for the others, I'm gonna go with the MXR 10-Band over the MXR 6-Band because the 10 has sliders for volume and gain. The EQ will mostly be used as a boost, so that makes more sense to me. Tuner is going to be the BOSS TU-3.

Gonna get the pedals in this order:
EQ
Tuner
Compression build

Already have a tuner, though it's bulky, so I don't need one right away.

Thanks for all the info!
Call me Michael...

Mixing

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Not trying to give myself a plug, but I have a MXR 10 Band EQ for sale which would honestly blow the Boss EQ away.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25094364#post25094364

Also I know there are better compressors out there, many to pick from. All I know is I've heard horrible things about the CS-3. I'm actually also selling my TU-2, which isn't too different from the TU-3 and would be a lot cheaper. If not that than a Korg Pitchblack, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner, or the TC Electronics Polytune.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Polytune works with standard tuning down to like 2 steps down or something like that. So it'll do your Eb standard just fine. It won't do drop D but just keep it on the E standard setting and tune your low string separately. It's a very fast tuner.
to be completely honest, boss is not the way to go with anything. you can get better stuff for the same price in everything that you are looking for.

compressor, maybe go BBE, they have one that i like. they are cheap. or go GFS, i hear they sound pretty good.

as far as tuners, look into a pitchblack or maybe the planet waves strobostomp.

for

MXR 10 band.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by kyle62

He could also get the GFS tuner which is $40. I have one in the mail right now . Anyway, is the Sweet Sparkle any good? I've been considering it after I realized I wont have the money for a Barber Tone Press anytime soon but I can't find much info on the GFS as it's fairly new.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by GrisKy

Depends on what kind of compressor he's looking for. Personally, I don't care for the Ross or Ross clones at all. They are very effective in that they squeeze the tone a lot and give that nice funky pop but I prefer more subtle compressors which is why I was looking at the Tone Press. I was able to easily dial that out.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Definitely the tuner. I would add a noise gate to your list thought. I'd get that before the tuner.*
Quote by trashedlostfdup
to be completely honest, boss is not the way to go with anything. you can get better stuff for the same price in everything that you are looking for.

They make some good modulation pedals that I wouldn't mind owning.
Quote by 667
Definitely the tuner. I would add a noise gate to your list thought. I'd get that before the tuner.*

What noise gate would you recommend? If anything, I'd get that over the compressor. The compressor is not too essential to my sound I think, and I already have a tuner (just want a smaller, more compact one).
Call me Michael...

Mixing

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Money no object - the ISP Decimator G-String.
Money an object - the ISP Decimator.
Broke - used Boss NS-2.
Quote by TasianSensation
Thanks for the link GrisKy! I'll most likely be doing that for a compressor.

Thanks for all the info!

not a problem. if you do build your own, do yourself a favor and read up a few articles on R.G. Keen's Milenium Bypass and silent switching (a simple Google search will bring up tons of good material and will lead you in the right direction).