Hey UG,

I was wondering how hard it was to make an simple tube amp without any experience.
Thought of doing it for a school assigment, I was just wondering if i could make something like a 1 channel amp with normal EQ, gain, volume.

Or maybe make a 1 channel amp of some famous high gain amp.
Maybe it's easier to make a preamp and use a normal poweramp?

And what would something like this cost?

Thank you.
Gear:

Schecter Jeff Loomis 7-String
Engl Savage 120
Maxon OD-808
Harley benton 2x12 v30's
Bugera 333
Bugera 6260
You can buy a kit for an amp. A Marshall 18watt is where a lot of people start so you may want to look at that.

edit:
http://ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BS18w/BS18w.htm

There is a list of parts from ceriatone, and you can see what your up against if you click the "layout" button.

If you have any experience with electronics it shouldn't be too bad. You may also want to consider just using their layout and subbing in your own parts.

A jcm800 would also be a solid choice.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Sep 14, 2010,
I'd say do what he ^ said. It'd be much easier to get a kit and make that, especially if you have no experience.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Oke great tnx for the tip .

And I am from europe, dont know if that matters?
Gear:

Engl Savage 120
Maxon OD-808
Harley benton 2x12 v30's
Bugera 333
Bugera 6260
I recommend AX84.com, but I don't know what shipping would be like to Europe. I have a thread (in my sig) that should give you a good idea of what's going on in the amp.
Tnx, all those kits, is everything I need in there?
Or do it need to buy parts myself to?

And how do those amps sound?
How long would building one take if it is your first time?
Gear:

Engl Savage 120
Maxon OD-808
Harley benton 2x12 v30's
Bugera 333
Bugera 6260
The kits at AX84 have everything you need (make sure to order the pre-punched chassis). Ceriatone can be ordered in stages. You can order just the board, a chassis/board/transformers, or all including the cabinet.

I can't speak for ceriatone, but ax84 p1x sounds great. It is not uber-heavy, but heavy enough for me. It also can have some good cleans.

As for time, I'd expect to spend at least two weeks on your first build.
Time wise really depends on how far along you have the parts. My first build took about a week while putting about two hours a day into the amp. I spent countless hours reading about what to do before I started though.

If everything is drilled and you don't have to go out to buy any hardware then 10-20 hours is a very good estimate for build time. Don't try to skip corners to save time, but there are some things you can do to reduce the time it takes to build the amp.

I use a drill to twist wires for the filaments, which results in tight and uniform twist, that only take a few minutes to make.

I also make a template out of plywood or something else to hold all of the front panel switches and other parts and wire them up outside the amp. This doesn't save much time, but its a lot easier to wire up parts like that rather than when they are attached to the chassis.
Do these sets also come with tubes?

And is there a change of failure and f*ck*ng everthing up?

Would they do metal?
Gear:

Engl Savage 120
Maxon OD-808
Harley benton 2x12 v30's
Bugera 333
Bugera 6260
Quote by Yooxa
Do these sets also come with tubes?

And is there a change of failure and f*ck*ng everthing up?

Would they do metal?

To be honest, even the simplest of electronics projects can quite easily fail if you don't know what you're doing. There is no such thing as a kit which has no "chance" whatsoever of failing.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
but in mean failing like in, doing permanent damage to the components
Gear:

Engl Savage 120
Maxon OD-808
Harley benton 2x12 v30's
Bugera 333
Bugera 6260
Quote by Yooxa
but in mean failing like in, doing permanent damage to the components

That is a possibility with any electrical project. As far as a tube goes you could blow a capacitor or diode by putting it in backwards, destroy the transformers, destroy the tubes. Your pretty safe on most of the resistors unless you mess up.

But building a pedal is the same way. If you put polarized caps or tantalum caps backwards in a pedal they will blow. Applying too high of a voltage to an IC will destroy it. Static discharge is also a problem with pedals.

So really you pick your poison. Destroying a transformer or tube will cost much more than destroying an IC though.
Quote by Yooxa
Would they do metal?

Most of the simple amp kits are not hi-gain amps. Common simpler designs are Fender Champ style, Marshall 18w, etc. Great stuff for classic hard rock. Building a Soldano or a Triple Rec is more complicated.
AX84 has a kit they call Single Ended Lead. It's their highest gain model. Wouldn't do metal on it's own, but it could probably be convincingly metal-ish with a boost.