can somone give me a hand with this war is ours by escape the fate.
im learning the sweeping from the intro, and i just wanted to know what the best finger positions would be to make it easier for me to learn?

tl;dr where do i put my fingers for it to flow efficiently?
I'd use my pinky on 9, 2nd finger on 7 and first finger on frets 5 and 6.
It's not that hard of a sweep really not that I look at it, I used to think it's stupidly hard.

Anyway, aren't you the guy who said he can't sweep recently and that he wants to learn by playing this war is ours?
Quote by piszczel
It's not that hard of a sweep really not that I look at it, I used to think it's stupidly hard.

Anyway, aren't you the guy who said he can't sweep recently and that he wants to learn by playing this war is ours?

yeah that's me. I've been practising furiously, and before is start this song, i just want to get the basic idea in my head so it works more efficiently

EDIT: in other words, im still going to use this song as my first major sweeping project
Last edited by rigoman28 at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by piszczel

Maybe I'm just tired from waking up, but wat da eff you talking about? Numbas n shit.

TS!: Remember to take things slow. You can't master sweep picking over night
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by ChucklesMginty
IMO it's easier to use your 3rd on the 9, when you go back to start the arpeggio your 3rd is much closer so it's more efficient.

Remember, it will take time. Work consistently on it every day for as long as you can, very slowly building up the speed and you can have it in a few months.

How is not using your pinky more efficient? If using your 3rd on the 9th fret, you'd have to shift your whole hand to reach the 5th and 6th frets on the lower strings. Using your pinky is so much easier.

Quote by Guitarbaddie
Maybe I'm just tired from waking up, but wat da eff you talking about? Numbas n shit.

TS!: Remember to take things slow. You can't master sweep picking over night

The numbers are frets.
Quote by piszczel
How is not using your pinky more efficient? If using your 3rd on the 9th fret, you'd have to shift your whole hand to reach the 5th and 6th frets on the lower strings. Using your pinky is so much easier.

Iunno, using my pinky does feel much different than using my 3rd finger =\
Quote by piszczel
The numbers are frets.

Well, I play a 625 string guitar, so I think you should be a bit more specific as to what string he should fret.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by rigoman28
Iunno, using my pinky does feel much different than using my 3rd finger =\

Make sure you are working all your fingers, all the time, when possible.

If your pinky sees little use outside of sweep picking, then you should probably avoid sweeps for awhile.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Well, I play a 625 string guitar, so I think you should be a bit more specific as to what string he should fret.

Look at the tab. This war is ours, escape the fate.
maybe that will assist you in your dilemma.
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Make sure you are working all your fingers, all the time, when possible.

If your pinky sees little use outside of sweep picking, then you should probably avoid sweeps for awhile.

okai thanks, i think i will use my pinky then seeing it doesn't feel uncomfortable.
Quote by rigoman28
Look at the tab. This war is ours, escape the fate.
maybe that will assist you in your dilemma.

Sorry, I can't read tabs. I do everything by ear.

Having said that, I'm not sure what all this 3rd, and 2nd finger nonsense is.

Not evvvvveryone is the same, but I have 8 fingers, and two thumbs, and they all have different names, and can be separated using the words: left or right.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by rigoman28
okai thanks, i think i will use my pinky then seeing it doesn't feel uncomfortable.

Just take things slow. Use a metronome and start at like, say, 60 bpm and work your way up to full speed.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Just take things slow. Use a metronome and start at like, say, 60 bpm and work your way up to full speed.

Okai, thanks heaps. ^_^
and its the left hand using:
the pinky on the 9th frets of the sweep
middle finger on the 7th frets
and the index finger on the 5th and 6th frets
This makes no sense.
You use a pinky on the 9th fret of the 1st string but not on the 9th fret of the 5th string?It's not more comfortable to play at all, in fact that is quite a big stretch to go from 9th fret with your 3rd finger to 5th or 6th fret on your first finger.

That's how I'd play it:

e-----------9--P--5--------|
B--------7------------6----|
G------6----------------5--|
D----7---------------------|
A--9-----------------------|
E--------------------------|
   4 2 1 2 4     1    2  1
im just going to stick with using the pinky on the 9th fret.
ChucklesMginty's idea is just isnt working for me
another question: is it okai for me to be muting the notes with my palm? or should all the notes be muted without palm muting?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Put your first finger on the 6th fret of the G string, which finger is closest the the 9th on the A? Your 3rd of your pinky?

Pinky? Lol
I guess this depends entirely on how you learned to play and use your fingers. I use my pinky a whole lot more than my 3rd; use it to sweep, fret powerchords, everything.
I guess if you use your 3rd more then using it will be more comfortable, although I see no good reason to neglect the pinky.

The notes you don't play should be palm muted. Once you move on to the next string, mute the string you just played. If your hand will follow the motion downwards as you pick the notes, it should be easy to mute the strings. It doesn't matter how you mute the strings really, as long as you do it.
For example, say you just played the 6th fret on the G string and you're moving onto 7th fret on the B string, you mute the G string after you played the note so 2 notes never ring out at the same time when sweeping.
Quote by piszczel
The notes you don't play should be palm muted. Once you move on to the next string, mute the string you just played. If your hand will follow the motion downwards as you pick the notes, it should be easy to mute the strings. It doesn't matter how you mute the strings really, as long as you do it.
For example, say you just played the 6th fret on the G string and you're moving onto 7th fret on the B string, you mute the G string after you played the note so 2 notes never ring out at the same time when sweeping.

So it wont effect performance latter on?
Quote by rigoman28
So it wont effect performance latter on?

What do you mean performance? As in, will muting the strings affect your sweeping or playing in any way?

No, because you HAVE to mute when sweeping. It's part of the techique. Everybody does it.
Quote by piszczel
What do you mean performance? As in, will muting the strings affect your sweeping or playing in any way?

No, because you HAVE to mute when sweeping. It's part of the techique. Everybody does it.

okai, my mistake
E---------------------------|
****UUUU D DDD

thats how im playing it at the moment at 132 BPM is that correct?
(the 9 on the high e string is a down)
Quote by rigoman28
E---------------------------|
****UUUU D DDD

thats how im playing it at the moment at 132 BPM is that correct?
(the 9 on the high e string is a down)

You should continue picking in one motion until you reach the last note that you want to sweep, so you should still down pick the 9 on the 1st string; the pull off gives you time to readjust your hand, and you continue to pick upwards on the 6th fret of the B string.

You don't actually pick the 5th fret on the 1st string, you pull off to it from the 9th fret.