FX loop question.

When sending a signal from a small mobile CD player, into the return of my FX loop, shouldn't my Master volume still work?

I am doing that, letting both my Cabs have some break-in time with their new speakers, and the only volume control I have is the CD unit's volume control, which is controlling it's headphone jack.

(I am using a headphone to guitar plug converter.)

I have the CD's volume on 2, and its already pretty loud.

I won't hurt my amp doing this, will I?

My CD player: http://yuri-yuri.sakura.ne.jp/sblo_files/pcdp/image/20100427001sls550.jpg
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Sep 14, 2010,
I don't think it will hurt it at all. I have ran an mp3 player through my fx loop at a house party and no damage was done. The master volume should still work and (if your amp has it) the fx return volume should work as well
Thanks...

Odd. Neither the 'Master' or 'Volume' have any control over my amps loudness.

I guess I can let Vidal Idol play on then. That should do a good job moving the cones around a bit.
i heard that if you do play music through an amp/cab the sound of the kick drum in the music ****s your speakers over time as theyre not cut out for it. it whats happened to my practice amp, the speaker sounds like terrible and 'loose/sloppy'. if you can turn down the bass in the music (like using bass reducer eq on your ipod) it should help this not to happen
its taked a year for the one in mine to go. its only an 8inch speaked though. to be honest i quite often jusy plug my ipod in (without bass reducer) and have it cranked for the couple of hours no ones home each day.
i assume it would be less of a problem on larger speaker but i dont really know.
Depends on the amp design. Obviously your master volume is before the loop. On my Tweaker it's after the loop.
Thanks again for the info guys...

Quote by fly135
Depends on the amp design. Obviously your master volume is before the loop. On my Tweaker it's after the loop.

That must be it, On the Maz, the Master Volume is before the loop.
Quote by BurstBucker Pro
Thanks again for the info guys...

That must be it, On the Maz, the Master Volume is before the loop.
My buddy has a Reberl 20 and it's MV is before the loop. He uses a pot mounted in a small pedal box put right before the return to use as a MV. He bypasses the preamp and plugs his FX into the power amp (w/ the volume box).