Heya guys,

was just browsing, seeing as i am seeking to invest in a new guitar soon

came upon this

http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-musical-instruments-guitars-guitar-amps-TELECASTER-THINLINE-CLASSIC-69-MODEL-W0QQAdIdZ229865852

it's too good to be true imo. I dunno, i don't know much on how to spot a fake. Could you guys help out? I've emailed him...

may help: i googled "thinline telecaster 69 model" and most pics came up with a very different headstock:

http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&rlz=1C1SKPC_enAU360AU360&q=TELECASTER%20THINLINE%20CLASSIC%2069%20MODEL&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=929
yea. I dunno about the thinline re-issues, tho. I think they are supposed to have the same writing on the headstock as the originals.

It is certainly NOT AN ORIGINAL '69, just by looking at the pics, tho.
Looking at this picture of a real one.

http://fender.com/themes/products/images/prod_images/guitars/0136902300_xl.jpg

and this one in the ad

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/100913/304r1/8403d23_20.jpeg

It looks like the F hole is not where it's supposed to be. The ad shows it centered while the real one is angled. Also the body on the one in the ad looks bigger if you compare the pick guard to the body but at the same time I don't know if peraloid pickguards came with sun burst thinline.

I could be wrong because I'm no expert but that's what stood out to me.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Sep 14, 2010,
says made in usa on head stock so youd expect the quality to be really good yet around and on the inside of the F hole its really rough.
and also the 'sponsored link' to Trade Tang

looks pretty dodgy to me

the pickguard is shaped slightly differently to a real one and slightly different screw placement

the wood on the body looks pretty average.

its definately a fake
Last edited by CreepingDeath13 at Sep 14, 2010,
ask for the serial number and plug it into this http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx itll give you some basic info and you'll be able to see if it matches up. When he says 'Classic' though he could mean its part of that 'Classic Player' series fender just did, they're pretty cheap. Havent really looked at them much though so I dont know.
Quote by Dan_5893
Email him and ask him for the serial number, you can check then to see if it is a Fender at all.

+1
Definitely a fake, one thing the telecaster logo is the wrong font, and another thing is that it's from hong kong, a.k.a. heaven for fake guitars.

Also, I was pretty sure the thinline standard reissues were made in japan or mexico, not the USA?
Quote by kylendm
Looking at this picture of a read one.

http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=229865852&ImageIndex=1

and this one in the ad

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/100913/304r1/8403d23_20.jpeg

It looks like the F hole is not where it's supposed to be. The ad shows it centered while the real one is angled. Also the body on the one in the ad looks bigger if you compare the pick guard to the body but at the same time I don't know if peraloid pickguards came with sun burst thinline.

I could be wrong because I'm no expert but that's what stood out to me.

They're the same picture Kyle?
Well, except for the headstock, everything looks fine.
Maybe you could try to email Fender with the pics, they should be able to tell you if it's a fake or not.
Just had a look at my Japanese '72 re-issue thinline and I agree with the guy higher up...the f-hole is the wrong orientation on this...even compared to pics of '69 thinlines
Quote by Dan_5893
They're the same picture Kyle?

Try again.

Edit I just noticed the pick guard in the fender picture was pearloid. But the pick guard is not the same one.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by Sguit
Well, except for the headstock, everything looks fine.
Maybe you could try to email Fender with the pics, they should be able to tell you if it's a fake or not.

you gotta look closer, like the different screw placement on the pickguard and the pickguard being slightly the wrong shape, and the controls being too far apart, and the placement of the f hole
Yeah the logo on the headstock is wrong as well as the shape. ^ Good call on the screws.

It's a fake.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
I've seen a few threads like this now - asking if a guitar appears to be a fake. A stock response seems to be 'ask for the serial number'. I don't understand how this would prove a guitar is genuine? Surely you can fake a serial number pretty easily?
The fact he admits he bought it from Hong Kong makes it even more doubtable.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
"Tommy Lees in Hong Kong"?! LOL. It's Tom Lee not Tommy Lees. Maybe ask to see the receipt if he still has it? If he did actually buy it from Tom Lee then it's definitely real.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Its not a Fender, the lower horn is too long
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
If That's not a fake, then we're not human :S, Is just soo wrong: 21 to 22 frets, pickguard shape, screw positions, control positions, body shape and wood (including F-hole) even the Bridge is fully nickel when on the original fender it looks a bit aged.

IMO, even if they put a gun on my head forcing me to take it as a gift, I wouldn't take it.
F-hole alignment is completely wrong, and both the RI and original have ashtray bridges, while this one is a flat type.

As I like to say... fake as a 3 dollar bill.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Might not be a bad guitar, just not what they are saying it is.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by bazzabarrett007
I've seen a few threads like this now - asking if a guitar appears to be a fake. A stock response seems to be 'ask for the serial number'. I don't understand how this would prove a guitar is genuine? Surely you can fake a serial number pretty easily?

you can fake a serial number, but unless you know exactly how that particular brand numbers their guitars and you can make it match up exactly to the guitar you've faked then its rubbish...and lets face it, people who make fake guitars dont often pay that much attention to detail, thats how you can tell theyre a fake in the first place
Quote by MatimusX
you can fake a serial number, but unless you know exactly how that particular brand numbers their guitars and you can make it match up exactly to the guitar you've faked then its rubbish...and lets face it, people who make fake guitars dont often pay that much attention to detail, thats how you can tell theyre a fake in the first place

Some pay extroardinary attention to detail, Slash's famed Gibson Les that he used for the Appetite sessions wasn't actually a Gibson for example. This isn't the kind of example we're talking about here. You can have great fakes or terrible fakes, the latter being the more common.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Yeah I guess some people will put a lot of effort into making fakes, but not very many as most of them are looking to make quick easy money from their fakes, if they were gonna put some actual effort into something they'd get a real job XD
Quote by ezza619
Heya guys,

was just browsing, seeing as i am seeking to invest in a new guitar soon

came upon this

http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-musical-instruments-guitars-guitar-amps-TELECASTER-THINLINE-CLASSIC-69-MODEL-W0QQAdIdZ229865852

it's too good to be true imo. I dunno, i don't know much on how to spot a fake. Could you guys help out? I've emailed him...

may help: i googled "thinline telecaster 69 model" and most pics came up with a very different headstock:

http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&rlz=1C1SKPC_enAU360AU360&q=TELECASTER%20THINLINE%20CLASSIC%2069%20MODEL&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=929

If I were you I would call this guy and ask him if he can give you a guarantee. Do some legal shit. Anyway, if he ****s you over you go pay him a visit, capech'?
looks like a fake re-issue, and good call on the tone/volume knob placement and pick guard screws
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?