I'm looking for a pickup, upgrade for my RR3. I'm getting quite bored of the sound, i feel i'm not getting enough crunch and high end. The stock pick ups are seymour duncan JBs at the bridge and seymour duncan jazz sh2n at the neck. Any suggestions as to what i should get? I want metal tone with decent cleans as well, i usually set the pickup selector in the middle and turn the neck pickup about half volume. I'm not sure whether to go passive or active. Since RR3 already has a small body and the hole in the back for the bridge it might affect overall tone it produces. so please help

thanks
what is an RR3?
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
[quote="'JE[F"]F']I'm looking for a pickup, upgrade for my RR3. I'm getting quite bored of the sound, i feel i'm not getting enough crunch and high end. The stock pick ups are seymour duncan JBs at the bridge and seymour duncan jazz sh2n at the neck. Any suggestions as to what i should get? I want metal tone with decent cleans as well, i usually set the pickup selector in the middle and turn the neck pickup about half volume. I'm not sure whether to go passive or active. Since RR3 already has a small body and the hole in the back for the bridge it might affect overall tone it produces. so please help

thanks

That right there might be the reason that you're not getting crunch and high end. If you want that, you'll want to use the bridge pickup only.

In any case, what's your amp?
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
That right there might be the reason that you're not getting crunch and high end. If you want that, you'll want to use the bridge pickup only.

In any case, what's your amp?

+1.

The body is alder and the neck is maple, which is one of the brightest wood combos around. The JB is both quite agressive and has a bright tone that contributes to the overall highs the guitar is capable of, so if you're not getting enough crunch or highs, it's unlikely that it's the pickups at fault.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah