I'm curious what the general consensu is on the Charvel So-Cal. I am debtaing the purchase of one and just trying to get a better idea of what other people's experience is with it. For $900 it really is a super strat but the dual Dimarzio humbuckers coupled with the Floyd Rose is really appealing to me.

Any opinions?
i thought the ones i tried were nice, but not super nice. A bunch of people really love the neck, but I was kinda meh on it- it was alright, but i wasn't blown away. I also thought they were a bit dear, considering they have the korean-made floyd etc. (though that's less of a concern in the US as the prices are a bit lower).

I guess, if you like it, it'll probably be fine? Just depends which group you're in, I guess.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If we're talking about the US made ones, I thought they were OK. The Ping (Korean) Floyd is bit of a downside, but it's cheap to upgrade if you sell the old one on ebay. Otherwise the electronics and parts were OK. I thought the necks were acceptable but not great. They sounded pretty good.

I thought it was a decent guitar at a good price, but I've got other custom superstrats I prefer so I never considered buying one. I've never seen a Japanese one (not sure if they're out yet) so I can't comment on that.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Even Bigger D
If we're talking about the US made ones, I thought they were OK. The Ping (Korean) Floyd is bit of a downside, but it's cheap to upgrade if you sell the old one on ebay. Otherwise the electronics and parts were OK. I thought the necks were acceptable but not great. They sounded pretty good.

I thought it was a decent guitar at a good price, but I've got other custom superstrats I prefer so I never considered buying one. I've never seen a Japanese one (not sure if they're out yet) so I can't comment on that.

No. Ping is Chinese and have the Ping logo. These are FRT-1000 series trems. The FR-1000 series are actually pretty damned good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
No. Ping is Chinese and have the Ping logo. These are FRT-1000 series trems. The FR-1000 series are actually pretty damned good.

The one I saw said Made in Korea on it I'm pretty sure and was supposed to be a Ping Floyd. Not sure what to make of that unless I'm confusing a Ping with a FRT-1000. I guess that's possible.

In any case, the point is that the Charvels have a OFR-dimension trem, but it's not a real OFR. Whether you want to upgrade is a personal issue I suppose.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
I don't even know if Ping makes FR's any more.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Personally, I would get an old 750xl off ebay for $700 before I even thought of a new So-Cal. But that's just me.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.