so my amp is a Krank Rev Jr, and currently has:
2x Sovtek 5881/6L6 power tubes.
and i think i have 2x 12AX7 preamp tubes.
and then another tube in a metal caseing.

my tubes are getting on for two years old and it my birthday in a couple of weeks, so i wanna re-tube my amp.

i would like some tubes that break up easily and give me a good amount of volume.

i really have no idea what to get, but i here NOS tube are good because they last for years and sound awesome?

i predictably play mostly metal and all its sub genres so tube that are suited for that would be good

i have about £100 to spend on tubes for it.

Thanks for help, James.
mesa tubes should work great, they sound good and are consistent from set to set
arnt mesa tubes just re-branded tubes from another brand?

wozzedit:

also i would kinda need someone to tell me the exact tubes for me to get, like links to a website if you wouldn't mind!
Last edited by wozzsta at Sep 14, 2010,
^they are...you don't want Mesa tubes.

send hotroxuk.com a note about what you have and what you want and they'll take care of you and ship you a matched set of tubes. Ruby, JJ, Tung Sol, Sovtek, etc.

It is good to have spares - but those tubes you have now could last another 2 years
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^they are...you don't want Mesa tubes.

send hotroxuk.com a note about what you have and what you want and they'll take care of you and ship you a matched set of tubes. Ruby, JJ, Tung Sol, Sovtek, etc.

It is good to have spares - but those tubes you have now could last another 2 years

Cool thanks bud, mark over there said

2x http://www.hotroxuk.com/jj-electronics-tube-6l6-4781-0.html

and 3x http://www.hotroxuk.com/jj-electronics-tube-ecc83s-12ax7-2195-0.html

What do you think?
yep, JJ's are pretty reputable. they will have a darker tone to them then say Tung Sols but they should work great in your amp. If you think your Krank is too 'dark' sounding as it is ask Mark if he has anything 'brighter'.

I have JJ's in my preamp and will probably not put anything else in evar.
hmm yeah i do kinda find it dark, as i do tend to turn my mids and highs right up, like to 4-5 o'clock.

thats whats meant by dark right?
The JJ 6l6GCs sound killer in the Rev Jr, the only problem is they are too big to fit inside the head shell and they sit very close together (in the standard, which it sounds like you have), like maybe 1mm or 2mm apart. Unless you plan on leaving your head shell out of it's case and not moving it around, I would not recomend getting them.

Another option (which I personally have not tried) are the JJ 6V6s. They're supposed to sound damn good, alot of people really sing their praises. I ran mine for a while with EHX 6V6s and I found even those helped and they sounded better than the sovteks IMO.

Currently I'm running my Rev Jr. head with Tung-Sol 5881 and they're the best I've tried. I like them even more than the JJ 6l6GCs. Most of all I found they made the cleans far better, gave them alot of extra clarity.

As far ask pre amp tubes go, I'm currently running mine with all JJ 12ax7s, they're good tubes. Some people find them a tad dark, personally I find them excellent for curbing the shrill and brittle highend of the Rev Jr.
Quote by Shabadoo
The JJ 6l6GCs sound killer in the Rev Jr, the only problem is they are too big to fit inside the head shell and they sit very close together (in the standard, which it sounds like you have), like maybe 1mm or 2mm apart. Unless you plan on leaving your head shell out of it's case and not moving it around, I would not recomend getting them.

Another option (which I personally have not tried) are the JJ 6V6s. They're supposed to sound damn good, alot of people really sing their praises. I ran mine for a while with EHX 6V6s and I found even those helped and they sounded better than the sovteks IMO.

Currently I'm running my Rev Jr. head with Tung-Sol 5881 and they're the best I've tried. I like them even more than the JJ 6l6GCs. Most of all I found they made the cleans far better, gave them alot of extra clarity.

As far ask pre amp tubes go, I'm currently running mine with all JJ 12ax7s, they're good tubes. Some people find them a tad dark, personally I find them excellent for curbing the shrill and brittle highend of the Rev Jr.

excellent thanks for that info, would have been really pissed if i got the JJs and they didnt fit.

looks like im gonna go with the Tung-Sol 5881s and the JJs in the pre-amp