What do you guys think they give for trade ins?

About half of what they sell it for?

Anyone have experience with this?
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
GC is notorious for not giving you what your gear is actually worth- I can hardly blame them though, they do need to sell it again. Anyhow, you'll get much more off craigslist or ebay.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
They give you just as much as a pawn shop or any other place would. They need to sell it for a profit so they give you much less than the street value for it. Try craigslist or something similar first.
I'm pretty sure that (at best) you get $0.30/$1.00 of value...in other words if the axe is worth $100 they'll give you $33.33 on trade in. Sucks but you don't have to deal with waiting to sell something.

CL or EBay is better - ALWAYS...a good analogy is like taking your car to a dealer for a trade in...they always hose you, always better to try to sell yourself.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
From what I remember the guy at GC telling me, they will buy it half of what they sell it used. So if they are going to sell it used for $200, they will only buy it for $100.
I took them a Mint Flextone III XL with FBV Shortboard in to trade. Not 1 ding on the thing.
They told me $200 bucks...

That was even with me saying I would buy a new Egnator amp.

They would not come up any, so I took my Flextone III XL back home, saved more money, and bought a Dr Z instead.

Short version: My amp without the FBV Shortboard sells for $500 bucks on ebay.
They were going to screw me.
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Sep 14, 2010,
yea, a couple times I got some quotes on some gear I was thinking about selling and I understand they need to make money too but the prices I was quoted was like a slap in the face, left me with a thought of **** you
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
I wish they would let you set the amp there, let you post your price, and they take 10% off the top for use of their location.

I would put $500 on it for Amp and FloorBoard, and that sucker would move I bet.
They give a coupon on any purchase when you trade in... 15% and you can use it online too, IIRC... I've heard that's far better than the actual trade in, which generally is 30%-50%.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^^ that's a nice idea.. i had the same idea too

hmm if i ever open up a store.. i'll do it that way...
besides i have my internet store.. where i acutally offer services more then gear. so when selling used gear im like telling them to give me the price and then i take off 10 or add my 10 or whatever % i have
I've been to a store or two that have done that... can't remember what they call it. I really wanted a MIG50 mini head but the guy would not come down on it and was asking like $650 But yeah, it wasn't the stores amp.
Maybe I went at it the wrong way, walking in asking for a trade?

I will give them a call and ask if I can name my price, and they take 10% off the top if sold.

I'll be back with an update.

UPDATE: I called the Columbus Ohio store. They got me the manager. He told me that is called Consignment, and they don't do it.
They give you 60% of what it's lowest price sold for used for on EBAY. They told me this themselves before.
they aren't ripping anyone off. it's a business. you have a choice in the matter.

it's about convenience. if you do the work to sell it, you make the money.

if they have to do the work to sell it, they want half the cash for doing so.

sell on craigslist or ebay if you want the most for your gear.
Quote by gregs1020
they aren't ripping anyone off. it's a business. you have a choice in the matter.

it's about convenience. if you do the work to sell it, you make the money.

if they have to do the work to sell it, they want half the cash for doing so.

sell on craigslist or ebay if you want the most for your gear.

Exactly. There's a reason why they can just sit an amp somewhere in the store with a price tag and it sells. If that doesn't work in your living room its because you haven't spent time and money building a customer base and a reputation.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It's pretty shitty. I took my Yamaha PSR-275 keyboard in and they offered me $10 for it. Bullshit. That thing was in great condition and is a fantastic keyboard. Sold in via CL for $80 yesterday.
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
i was gonna trade in my Epi LP custom and get a new guitar. they offered me $200. i instead sold it on craigslist for $500. just sell whatever you have to someone else. you'll make more money.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
That's about the deal I got.

$500 bucks worth of gear = $200 bucks at GC's trade value.

I can see they need some service fee, if you use their floor space to help sell your amp. Totally understandable...

It's just a shame that they require over 50% of the value of the item's total worth.
Some do consider that a good deal for the convenience.

I am not in that group myself.