My bassist has recently bought a Gallien Krueger RB1001 MKII head along with two NEO Cabs (Neo 115 and Neo 112) used for a reasonable price.

He decided to buy this amp because before he had a Fender Bassman 150w combo and the speaker blew off! Because he was short of money he bought (still buying) this amp piece by piece.. First he got the NEO 115 Cab and hooked it up to the Bassman head and rehearsed with that setup for about 2 months. Last week he got money to buy the head and bought it... when he hooked up the 1001RB to the NEO 115 it workded well but after a couple of minutes the speaker died!

When i checked it with the meter it read some Mohms!!! way to high for a spaeker right? can something be fixed? if not what replacement speaker do you recommend? I'm no bassist so i cant recommend him any speaker... He is willing not to spend more than 150Euros. We Play Mainly British Influenced Heavy Metal like Iron Maiden and UFO...
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Quote by peterocker
My bassist has recently bought a Gallien Krueger RB1001 MKII head along with two NEO Cabs (Neo 115 and Neo 112) used for a reasonable price.

He decided to buy this amp because before he had a Fender Bassman 150w combo and the speaker blew off! Because he was short of money he bought (still buying) this amp piece by piece.. First he got the NEO 115 Cab and hooked it up to the Bassman head and rehearsed with that setup for about 2 months. Last week he got money to buy the head and bought it... when he hooked up the 1001RB to the NEO 115 it workded well but after a couple of minutes the speaker died!

When i checked it with the meter it read some Mohms!!! way to high for a spaeker right? can something be fixed? if not what replacement speaker do you recommend? I'm no bassist so i cant recommend him any speaker... He is willing not to spend more than 150Euros. We Play Mainly British Influenced Heavy Metal like Iron Maiden and UFO...

It sounds like your bassist was playing a 4ohm 700watt head through a cabinet that can only take 400 watts. Looks like you blew the speaker and need a new one that can take 700watts at 4ohms.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
no the speaker isnt blown.... its just dead quiet...
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Quote by Slanderous666
It sounds like your bassist was playing a 4ohm 700watt head through a cabinet that can only take 400 watts. Looks like you blew the speaker and need a new one that can take 700watts at 4ohms.

If people could fault locate just like that they'd be rich.
The bassists amp needs taking to a decent repair tech, surely it would have been cheaper to get the original speaker replaced and the amp sorted out.
Most amps are easy and cheap to fix these days.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by peterocker
When i checked it with the meter it read some Mohms!!! ...

Where did you hook up the metere to get
Mohms!!!
reading?
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Slanderous666

The 1001RB is a 700w amp, true, but with a Neo 115 (which is an 8ohm cab) connected It "only" delivers 460W to the woofers (and 50 to the horns). The 115 can take 400watts, so I suppose i should be able to work with the 1001RB as long as it isn't turned all the way up, but I don't know for sure.

Have a tech see it As far as recommendations for other cabs, I'm pretty sure you can't get anything to match the 1001RB in power our sound quality for 150€. Would be a hell of a bargain if you could.
New track on soundcloud.com/ahlers or on my profile.
Feedback much appreciated.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Hi my name is Chen im 16 years old from Israel.
I love playing Guitar and writing if I have the time[...]

As of now I am banned because of racism against albinos
Quote by Ahlers
The 1001RB is a 700w amp, true, but with a Neo 115 (which is an 8ohm cab) connected It "only" delivers 460W to the woofers (and 50 to the horns). The 115 can take 400watts, so I suppose i should be able to work with the 1001RB as long as it isn't turned all the way up, but I don't know for sure.

Have a tech see it As far as recommendations for other cabs, I'm pretty sure you can't get anything to match the 1001RB in power our sound quality for 150€. Would be a hell of a bargain if you could.

I can see what your saying but having a cab that can handle the power load is always a good idea.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni