So, it's the question we'd all like to avoid... Just how good is the latest Linkin Park album?

Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with the album. If they wanted to take a different approach with their music then that's great. Like a true LP fan, I'll follow them wherever their music takes them!

However, it does seem like LP are declining in their music. With classic like breaking the habit, numb, one step closer, crawling, etc. It leaves no room for songs like the catalyst to compete.

What do you think?
Lincoln Park has a couble of rather large problems, the first of that simply is to ask themselves "Who Are We" what are they trying to do, because they have completely turned away from the band they were that made them sucessful, I have no problem will a band growing and exploring new music, but you still have to hold on to the identity of the roots of the band and if that new direction isnt producing good music, growing for the sake of growing isnt going to be a good move. Fans are begging for Hybrid Theroy 2.0, because quite honestly, nothing they have made since then has stacked up. Hybrid Theory was one of the best rock albums in recent memory, so why all this LP hatred lately? Because they are almost refusing to be the band and do the things that made them special. They are turning out a bunch of generic rock songs

The Catalyst, The Great Divide, Wrenchs and Kings, those are some very very mediocre rock songs, Linkin Park is slowing turning into the Goo Goo Dolls of hard rock, they were good a one point, but it was so many movie themes and generic songs ago that you forget they were once legit. If all linkin park wants to do is get there videos played on MTV(nevermind MTV doesn't actually play music anymore) and get extremely radio friendly to the point that there songs are being played on the light rock/adult alternative stations then they are on the right path, but if they want to actually matter again, they need to swallow their pride, admit the fans were right and start making good music again, because A Thousand Suns is not good Linkin Park.
Last edited by ak10 at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by Guitar Z
So, it's the question we'd all like to avoid... Just how good is the latest Linkin Park album?

Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with the album. If they wanted to take a different approach with their music then that's great. Like a true LP fan, I'll follow them wherever their music takes them!

However, it does seem like LP are declining in their music. With classic like breaking the habit, numb, one step closer, crawling, etc. It leaves no room for songs like the catalyst to compete.

What do you think?

ATS is a Concept-Album, intended to be consumed as whole - as such, an individual song-analysis is useless and won't ammount to comparability between ATS and say Hybrid Theory. As such, you can't really compare catalyst to one step closer

that much said.. i wouldn't say that they decline.. they just take their personal experience to a whole different level. technique-wise, you *could* try and compare the way they use drums and backing-tracks in "when they come for me" with the way they did on meteora with "nobody's listening". nobody's listening tried to give you that japanese-style feeling, and did rather well. when they come for me totaly blows it with the arabesque approach in my opinion - feels less "set-up" and more naturally somehow.

on a totally different note, check the depth of the lyrics, and the choice of words... the new ones bite deep - on MtM you could get the feeling they would swear and shout f*ck all around just for the sake of it, like "oh,look,we can use some filthy language too!"... on ATS they use it as a stylistic element in the lyrics. e.g. in combination with the rest of the lyrics, in when they come for me, they really try to state something with the "try to catch up with me,mother******", but you don't catch that on a first listening, if you dont really pay attention to the rest of the lyrics. they actively selfcritizise their "becoming" and their fan- and media-reception.

"even a blueprint's a gift and a curse - once you got a theory of how the thing works, everybody wants the next thing to be just like the first."

i think that's the clearest statement possible on how they knew how this album was gonna be received by the fans and media
I listened to it.
I liked it. It was better than minutes to midnight.
But I'm still going to listen to Hybrid Theory and Meteora every once in a while.
It's a good album from them, but to me it sounds like a diluted version of my favourite music the last few years (nine inch nails, u2, radiohead etc) catchy as hell though
Meteora basically was Hybrid Theory 2, but with a more alt. rock sound. I don't get why everyone wants the same album again. I actually like A Thousand Suns as much as Hybrid Theory.
I found it to be okay, There are some good songs on it but the noise textures going for little snippets of time are better left to the experts like sonic youth. If they cut those out and pieced the full songs together they might have a decent record. TBH i enjoyed MTM more than any of their other albums.
Quote by RSOB Bass
Thanks Andy, you're fucking awesome.

Quote by XmydyingheartX
^___^

Quote by Andrea55
Banned because I love you!

Happily e-married to RSOB Bass
E-brother to Andrea55
E-Uncle to KitKat555