What settings on my boss ds-1 distortion pedal do I use to get as close as possible to santana's tone? Im playing a schecter hellraiser with active emg pickups...

Thank you.
DS-1's a great pedal, but it's a distortion pedal, I can't imagine it'd be very useful for Santana. It's more of an amp thing with him...

Also I don't think settings threads are allowed.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Santana's sound comes from tube amp overdrive, not stompbox distortion. The DS-1 is just a bit flat, almost "plastic-y" sounding. If you got it Keely modded it would be a lot more suitable for your situation. Use your ears though and try to get as close as possible, there are only 2 knobs and the level. Good luck!
Ok helpful answer time, try rolling the tone knob to slightly below halfway, gain up 3/4 and use your neck pickup with the tone rolled back, see how that sounds
Strat

Proco Turbo RAT
Boss RE-20

Fender Blues Junior
Not gonna happen. Period. The voicing is completely wrong. Santana's tone is lots of mids. DS-1 is no mids with a ratty high end and loose, wooly low end. Couple that with the insane amount of gain available along with the fact you're using it with EMGs and a Frontman, you won't get anything close. Just set it to whatever you like. Pretty much any possible setting will be equally as far from Santana's tone.

Also, no settings threads. *reported*
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs