I just ordered a new WGS Veteran 30 speaker, it's in the mail, so I thought I would finally start to build the new speaker cab to match my custom Valveking head. I'm waiting on the speaker to get here so I can drop it into my original 1x12 so I can still play, but once I've taken the old speaker out, I'll use it as a reference for cutting the holes for the speaker's and setting them even.

I plan on using white pine for this build, reinforcing it with 1x1 skeleton frame on the inside. The front and back I'm going to use 1/2 inch laminated plywood, cause the 1/4 inch plywood back I have on my 1x12 right now is too thin, it rattles when I play.

I'll stain it a red oak color like my head is with brass hardware, and prolly a black grill cloth on the front. I'll wire the speakers in parallel since both will be 16 ohms and I'll prolly add some RCA inputs on the back as well for a new reverb pan to sit in the cab so it's not in the head.

I may take a while to finish this build, so don't expect updates every day, it might be a month before I get it done due to money issues.

Here's my specs

And here's what I'm trying to match it too:

Two 16ohm speakers in series I presume? Took apart the head and cab, not such a bad idea.
I also have the 112 (with C. Vintage 30), not my favourite amp in the world but good enough on a budget.

Would be interesting to see your final product.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I'll wire the speakers in parallel since both will be 16 ohms and I'll prolly add some RCA inputs on the back as well for a new reverb pan to sit in the cab so it's not in the head.

he already said.

Looks cool though, I was thinking of making a small cab so I can leave it at my school and bring a head back and forth.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by Charlie4
Two 16ohm speakers in series I presume? Took apart the head and cab, not such a bad idea.
I also have the 112 (with C. Vintage 30), not my favourite amp in the world but good enough on a budget.

Would be interesting to see your final product.

No, if I put them in series then it'll be 32 ohms, which I don't want, so I'm wiring it in parallel so it'll be 16 ohms. It'll be interesting to see how the Original VK speaker sounds with a V-30 right next to it.
Quote by ethan_hanus
No, if I put them in series then it'll be 32 ohms, which I don't want, so I'm wiring it in parallel so it'll be 16 ohms.

Two 16ohm speakers in parallel is 8ohms.
Quote by cedricsmods
Two 16ohm speakers in parallel is 8ohms.

How? The minimum resistance of one speaker 16 ohms, so how can I get less than that by wiring them in parallel? All parallel does it prevent the build up of ohms, if I wired it in series then the ohms would add together to make a total resistance of 32 ohms, in parallel, the power has two path ways it can take, both are 16 ohms, so the total resistance is 16 ohms.

Anyways, should be starting the build any day this week, got some money coming my way, when I get it I'll start building the chassis.
Quote by ethan_hanus
How? The minimum resistance of one speaker 16 ohms, so how can I get less than that by wiring them in parallel?
By basic laws of physics, that's how.

Rtotal = (R1*R2)/(R1+R2)

Rtotal = (16*16)/(16+16)

Rtotal = (256)/(32)

Rtotal = 8

If you want a visual picture of how to wire the speakers:
Nice! I like the Valveking look! I had a Valveking 112, and when I made a 4x12 I put Veteran 30's in it, and it sounded great! Well worth it.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Somehow that doesn't look right. My amp is 16 ohms, I have two speakers that are 16 ohms each, so wiring them in parallel should be equal output, not cut it in half.

If you want to help, tell me how to wire this thing up. Two 16 ohm speakers, with a 16 ohm amp.
You would have to wire one speaker up, then leave the other as a dummy.

And all that stuff about series and parallel circuits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_and_parallel_circuits

If you don't believe us, wire your two speakers up in parallel like above on the left in cedricsmods picture. Then take an ohmmeter and measure between the positive and negative terminal of one of the speakers. Even though they are both 16Ω, it will only measure 8Ω.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Well damn, this ain't good. So what am I supposed to do, I have 1 WGS V-30 at 16 ohms and the VK speaker at 16 ohms. How can I wire these up into a 2x12 cab and have a total resistance of 16 ohms? Can I wire it in parallel then put a resistor in the circuit to make it 16 ohms or something? Or one of those box things you find on the back of 4x12's?
I don't know how to put this . . . you cannot wire the two 16 ohm to equal 16 ohms. You can wire them to be either 32 ohms or 8 ohms.
I think adding a resistor could result in just generating a LOT of heat.
If your amp's output transformer only works with 16 ohms, your two main options are either to use just one of the speakers, or to sell them and buy two 8ohm speakers.
If he did use a resistor, it'd have to be something crazy like 100W, otherwise it'd just burn up, and even then, I'm not sure if it would work.

He could also replace the OT in his, amp, but those two options are a lot cheaper and feasible.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by ethan_hanus
Well damn, this ain't good. So what am I supposed to do, I have 1 WGS V-30 at 16 ohms and the VK speaker at 16 ohms. How can I wire these up into a 2x12 cab and have a total resistance of 16 ohms? Can I wire it in parallel then put a resistor in the circuit to make it 16 ohms or something? Or one of those box things you find on the back of 4x12's?
Make another identical cab and run both in parallel.

edit: on a more serious note, wouldn't it be possible to rework the power tube's biasing to work with half the impedance?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Last edited by Kanthras at Sep 20, 2010,
Quote by Kanthras
Make another identical cab and run both in parallel.

edit: on a more serious note, wouldn't it be possible to rework the power tube's biasing to work with half the impedance?

No, I think MonkeyLink07 is right, changing the OT out for a 8 ohm one would be a way, I don't think rebiasing the tubes has anything to do with the output ohms.

What about the ohm selector switch for the VK....I'll have to look that one up...shit that means working on the inside of my amp.
Quote by ethan_hanus
No, I think MonkeyLink07 is right, changing the OT out for a 8 ohm one would be a way, I don't think rebiasing the tubes has anything to do with the output ohms.

What about the ohm selector switch for the VK....I'll have to look that one up...shit that means working on the inside of my amp.
Well, if IIRC an impedance mismatch causes the power tube's bias to drift. Just going out on a limb here.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Well, if IIRC an impedance mismatch causes the power tube's bias to drift. Just going out on a limb here.

Maybe, but I think I might down grade this build to a 1x12 due to this issue. Not like I really need a 2x12, 50 watts is plenty, but it would of been nice.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Maybe, but I think I might down grade this build to a 1x12 due to this issue. Not like I really need a 2x12, 50 watts is plenty, but it would of been nice.
You could always just mismatch the impedance and wire the speakers for 8 Ohms. If the OT is beefy enough it'll handle it. Tubes might not last as long, though.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
You could always just mismatch the impedance and wire the speakers for 8 Ohms. If the OT is beefy enough it'll handle it. Tubes might not last as long, though.

I think that would fry the speakers and not the OT, and the VK OT is anything but beefy, I think that's where the rest of the muddiness comes from in this amp, 50% is speaker, 30% OT, 10% tubes, 10% electrical components.

I might just be better off building the 112 and saving up for a new OT, or build the 2x12 and do the OT thing with the Ohms selector switch. I suck at soldering though.