Page 1 of 5
I just came across the TSA15H, an all tube amp from ibanez that has the Tube Screamer built in the circuitry?

How does everyone feel about this? Anyone try it out yet?

I'm dying to hear it but my headphones broke last night. Is it any good?

EDIT: for anyone who has no idea what i'm talking about: http://www.ibanez.com/Electronics/Series-TSA
Last edited by Funk Monk at Sep 14, 2010,
Yeah for 300 bones it looks pretty classy.

Plus with a pentode/triode switch, you get some decent versatility.
i played it at my local guitar shop, and its niiice! really good tones in there, though i would'nt really recommend it for metal or anything too heavy....but i guess you can always use a pedal
Before I clicked on the thread, I thought you were talking about those Tone Blaster amps that Ibanez do, which are rubbish. But I was pleasantly surprised - this thing actually looks pretty good!
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by Stryker125
i played it at my local guitar shop, and its niiice! really good tones in there, though i would'nt really recommend it for metal or anything too heavy....but i guess you can always use a pedal

An extra tubescreamer!
Yeah, I played on one yesterday up at my local music store, it's actually a pretty neat little amp. It's not just a tube screamer built into an amp, it has a clean channel, a boost function, and a very basic EQ, Bass and Treble.

I pulled some nice blues and Billy Talent tones from it while I was fiddling with it. I think it's worth the $300. I've never owned a bad Ibanez product, so your prolly safe.
It's alright, but a tubescreamer in front would really tighten up.... oh. Nevermind

But I haven't tried it. Looks interesting though. Pretty cheap for 15 watts of tube power and a built-in tubescreamer.

I know they obviously have the tubescreamer circuit down pat, but I wonder if they're using 808-quality components, or TS7-quality components. The price would suggest the latter, but they might be saving a bit with not having to use those nice green enclosures, so you can't be sure.

I'll need to try this one out.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Stryker125

You could always use a Tube Screamer to tighten up the gain...
Quote by Kcintlob
You could always use a Tube Screamer to tighten up the gain...

If serious, I will hit you harder than you have ever been hit before.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
actually when compared to running a tube screamer pedal, the sound from the pedal was far better, it`s all a gimmick, the amp still sounds decent though just the pedal has that tubescreamer sound that we all know and love
Quote by mmolteratx
I bet it's a Blackstar clone.

Yeah it's giving me that Blackheart/Blackstar Clone feel as I read some of the reviews and comments on it.

I think i'll stick with a ts-9 over this.
making amps out of pedals?

no way.

inb4itsnotalltubecuzithasanopamp....
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
making amps out of pedals?

no way.

inb4itsnotalltubecuzithasanopamp....

Yeah seriously.

I don't get what your saying at the end though, because it does have a tube pre-amp.
then it's not a tubescreamer.

either it's not a tubescreamer, or it's not an "all tube" amp.

take your pick.
Quote by gregs1020

take your pick.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Dammit Dave! I already made popcorn you were supposed to bring the beer!

on topic: played the amp, pretty cool. I don't know if it's $300 cool...maybe. Just depends on how bad the money is burning in my pocket.
Once these hit the used market, I'll have a 15w 6V6 amp for 150€.

For now, I'm happy waiting for the br00tlz-kids to come in and ask if they can boost the amp for metal with the built-in ts.
Quote by TheQuailman

For now, I'm happy waiting for the br00tlz-kids to come in and ask if they can boost the amp for metal with the built-in ts.

+808
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gregs1020

take your pick.

I'm gonna say it's not a true tubescreamer, but check out the specs:

Power: 15W All tube head

Preamp Tubes: 2 x 12AX7

Power Tubes: 2 x 6V6

Controls:
- Tube Screamer - Overdrive, Tone, Level
- Amp - Treble, Bass, Volume

Modes:
- Pentode - 15W
- Triode - 5W
Last edited by Funk Monk at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman
Once these hit the used market, I'll have a 15w 6V6 amp for 150€.

Nah, those kids are too busy hustling their Line 6 amps on Craiglist after realizing they paid for an empty box with effects.
blackstar said the same shit. yet...

i'll let cathbard or (insert grumpy amp tech here) to dissect the schematic.

i couldn't care less though either way.
Quote by Funk Monk
I'm gonna say it's not a true tubescreamer, check out the specs:

Controls:

Modes:
- Pentode - 15W
- Triode - 5W

er...

how do you get to that conclusion just from listing the specs?

you were right, gregs, i was a little sceptical at the start, but this is getting good.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Funk Monk
I'm gonna say it's not a true tubescreamer, check out the specs:

Controls:

Modes:
- Pentode - 15W
- Triode - 5W

Based on the specs, I'd say it's a two gain stage amp with a tube PI and a PP 6V6 power section. Typical small clean head configuration. The Tubescreamer circuit is probably bypassable at the input. Basically a Blackstar done right from what I can see. Tubescreamer mods should all apply same as always. I'm kind of curious about it now. Not expecting anything ground breaking but a small 6V6 power amp for $300? Hell yea.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

^ Testify!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
er...

how do you get to that conclusion just from listing the specs?

you were right, gregs, i was a little sceptical at the start, but this is getting good.

I get that conclusion because the pre-amp is obviously Tube. As greg said, it's either not a true tube amp, or not a true tubescreamer.
Quote by Funk Monk
I get that conclusion because the pre-amp is obviously Tube. As greg said, it's either not a true tube amp, or not a true tubescreamer.

You can have both with the amount of tubes it has and a DPDT switch. Distortion would just come from the Tubescreamer or cranking the shit out of it of course.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

i think greg was trolling

something like the ibanez ts amp, assuming it's done right (i.e. where it basically just is a tubescreamer into a normal tube amp, and where you can turn the tubescreamer completely off and have it completely out of the circuit, including the buffer), would be a tube amp in my book.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mmolteratx
You can have both with the amount of tubes it has and a DPDT switch. Distortion would just come from the Tubescreamer or cranking the shit out of it of course.

so it's both not a tube amp and not a tubescreamer?

at the same time... hehe
Quote by mmolteratx
Hell yea.

My thoughts exactly. I like small Fender amps. I like tubescreamers. I especially like the combination of the two. With some luck, this is some sort of Princeton or Deluxe copy (a duck can dream) and the built-in ts is half decent. I'd go for it.
Quote by TheQuailman
My thoughts exactly. I like small Fender amps. I like tubescreamers. I especially like the combination of the two. With some luck, this is some sort of Princeton or Deluxe copy (a duck can dream) and the built-in ts is half decent. I'd go for it.

I'm thinking for 300 bones this is a total upgrade to my AVT 50 watt head right now, is it not?

I even found a blemished one for 224.00, Hell Yeah!
Quote by TheQuailman

if they'd offer it without the tubescreamer, at a suitably cheaper price (preferably less the european RRP of a ts808 ), that'd be even better. i already have a tubescreamery od, and i don't want any blackstar shenanigans in the amp circuit...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i don't want any blackstar shenanigans in the amp circuit...

Blackstar pulls off shady shenanigans in the circuitry?

Do tell.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

haha I guess I should start pulling out the
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
blackstar called the ht5 all tube.

but it's not.

or something...

Page 1 of 5