You shouldn't do that.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You get another amp.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
if you want to play both at the same time (you and a friend playing) you need a Y splitter -- though this will muddy up the sound a lot. It can also be done with an A/B/Y pedal, but still the sound with be muddied by 2 guitars going through 1 amp

if you want an easier way to switch guitars at a gig, an A/B switch will do. a lot people think they're only 1-way... but it can be used as a 2 in 1 out as well.
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
You get another amp.

LOL exactly. That is the dumbest question I've ever read.
Quote by Wesserz
LOL exactly. That is the dumbest question I've ever read.

whats dumb about if i want to play bass then go straight to guitar without switching amps - and if im not playing both guitars at the same time it makes sense.
Quote by colashanacogh
whats dumb about if i want to play bass then go straight to guitar without switching amps - and if im not playing both guitars at the same time it makes sense.

You're not going to be running a bass through a guitar amp, are you?
Quote by colashanacogh

bass guitar + guitar amp = bad
I think this would just be a mess of humming and volume drop issues... But who knows. The correct way to do this is with an A/B pedal so you can switch from one to the other.

Quote by Glenn Guitar
bass guitar + guitar amp = bad

Incorrect.

Bass + Guitar Amp = OK
Bass + Guitar Speakers = Bad
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Denthúl
You're not going to be running a bass through a guitar amp, are you?

its for my nephew starting - im not going to get him a bass amp aswell until i know hes going to use it what would be the point
Quote by tubetime86
I think this would just be a mess of humming and volume drop issues... But who knows. The correct way to do this is with an A/B pedal so you can switch from one to the other.

Incorrect.

Bass + Guitar Amp = OK
Bass + Guitar Speakers = Bad

Yea i put bass speakers in my guitar amp

What

He's gonna have guitar speakers in his guitar amp.
Quote by colashanacogh
its for my nephew starting - im not going to get him a bass amp aswell until i know hes going to use it what would be the point

See above.

Guitar amps come with speakers designed for the frequency range of a guitar, bass amps come with speakers designed for the frequency range of a bass. In general, running a guitar through those bass speakers is fine, but running a bass through the guitar speakers can cause damage. Definitely not recommended to do things that way.
if he doesn't already have the guitar amp, get him a bass amp... lotta players put guitar through a bass amp (and it can sound pretty cool too)
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
Quote by Glenn Guitar
Yea i put bass speakers in my guitar amp

What

He's gonna have guitar speakers in his guitar amp.

So, phrase it as accurately as possible. Remember on these forums you're not just answering the TS's question but leaving a record of the answer for future people to see via the searchbar. Vague posts like yours lead to misconceptions.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I have used a Y splitter to jam with another guitarist before. The sound was less than desirable, but it worked. Now, like everybody else said, running a bass through a guitar amp is generally a mistake, because of the frequency range of the speakers. Get a bass amp, and you'd be fine.

Really though, is it that hard to switch guitars the old-fashioned way? Are we all too lazy now to take the cable out of our guitar and plug it into another? The only time a splitter makes sense is when there are two guitars playing at once through one amp.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
A/B pedal, and make sure your rig can handle the bass frequencies.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Black Star
Really though, is it that hard to switch guitars the old-fashioned way? Are we all too lazy now to take the cable out of our guitar and plug it into another? The only time a splitter makes sense is when there are two guitars playing at once through one amp.

I built myself an A/B box so I wouldn't have to annoy the crowd at a show with the pop of switching my guitars every 3 songs
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
Quote by colashanacogh

I try not to make fun of people with less knowledge but far out this deserves a
Quote by theGlitch
I built myself an A/B box so I wouldn't have to annoy the crowd at a show with the pop of switching my guitars every 3 songs

That make sense. But based on what the threadstarter told us, my overall point still stands. There's no actual need for an A/B box or a Y splitter in this case.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....