Most Internet petitions tend to fizzle out without much happening. But Reddit's movement for a Stephen Colbert-hosted rally has raised major attention, and more than $100,000 for charity.
It all started with one Reddit user, mrsammercer, posting about an idea he had in a dream — Stephen Colbert hosting a mock rally in response to Glenn Beck's recent Restoring Honor event in Washington, D.C. Fellow users took action, dubbing the event Restoring Truthiness, designing a new Reddit page for the event and hosting their own website.
Instead of simply using these sites to pester Colbert, fans decided to get some attention by doing some good. In only one day, the Restoring Truthiness movement has donated $100,000 and counting to educational charities through DonorsChoose.org, an organization of which Colbert is a board member. The money came so quickly that DonorsChoose.org's server broke, and Reddit users shattered Hillary Clinton's previous record of raising $29,945 for DonorsChoose. ("Stephen Colbert" made our Top 10 Alter Egos list.)

On last night's Colbert Report, Colbert directly addressed the web's efforts. He noted that fans have sent him stuffed ducks, and even released live doves near his studio, in response to a joke last week that God would have to send doves as a sign he should hold a rally. But Colbert's big announcement? He wants fans to stop sending live animals. (The Daily Show is one of our Top 100 TV shows of all time.)

http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/09/14/reddit-campaign-for-colbert-rally-breaks-charity-records/

They've currently raised $133,143, and counting
http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/viewChallenge.html?id=39361

The internet: More powerful than Hillary Clinton.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
The internet: More powerful than Hillary Clinton.
I sure hope the internet's got more power than Hillary.

But seriously, this is quite cool.
Lies. Hilary Clinton is omnipotent, and I have to stop her.
Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
I can't wait to hear the big Stewart/Colbert announcement that they have been teasing us with the last 2 weeks.

If it is the Restoring Truthiness rally, I must go.

UG car pool to the (possible) event? Eh? EH?
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Don't really understand what has happened - the way I see it:

Guy has Dream > *hazy* > Money to some sort Charity > Colbert doesn't say thanks?

Is that right?
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Hillary Clinton? Maybe Oprah Winfrey would have been a better name-drop for that one-liner.
Excellent
Quote by teachmeviolence
Headbang until your head becomes detached from the rest of your body, then throw it into the crowd while you play a killer guitar solo. Trust me, it would be totally br00tal.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
That would be really cool if he actually held a rally. I'd try my hardest to attend it.

At the very least a lot of money was raised for a good cause.
Brilliant.

And the Colbert Report's back on? ****ing finally.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
For all the jokes Colbert pulls, that guy actually gets things done.

Congrats and hats off
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by will123456789
Don't really understand what has happened - the way I see it:

Guy has Dream > *hazy* > Money to some sort Charity > Colbert doesn't say thanks?

Is that right?
Guy posts idea to the social news aggregation website reddit.com. The reddit community sends it to the top of their website, the idea gets a lot of publicity and Stewart and Colbert start teasing people about it. The reddit community then decide to donate money to a charity that Colbert is involved in, but the extent and speed of their giving shocks even them with their total goal (beating Clinton, the largest previous donor) being reached in a matter of hours. The idea is that doing this will encourage Colbert to go along with the rally.

This wasn't colbert's idea, it was reddit's. Colbert won't get to thank them till he goes on TV tonight, given that the money has been raised only since yesterday.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
This is awesome. Hopefully Colbert would choose to go along with this and hold the rally.
Please do this Colbert.
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

Quote by sjones

UG car pool to the (possible) event? Eh? EH?

Hory shet. Make it so.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)