Right, i've decided i need to get my act together, and make an effort with theory.

Could you please list scales/modes etc to practice? but could you also give me some tips on writing solos/rhythm using the scales? as thats why scales were invented.

Cheers!

Dan
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Try looking at the FAQ.. it's stickied.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
I hate these posts, 'hey guys, i bought a guitar. tell me what i should learn'
I'M A COWBOY
Did i ask that? I'm just simply asking you to tell me 3-4 scales to practice. I'm not a complete newbie, who is asking "how the hell do i pick the guitar?" I am asking for your input, not hate comments, input.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Well, what do you know at the moment?
Don't bother too much with writing solos if you're yet to know any scales...
Quote by piszczel
Well, what do you know at the moment?
Don't bother too much with writing solos if you're yet to know any scales...

Just the basics really, Major, Minor, Pentatonic Major, Pentatonic Minor, Blues.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
The first scales that will have the most practical use after the foundation scales you just mentioned are hamonic minor, dorian and mixolydian.

Guns and Roses and early Slash is a good source for Dorian and Mixolydian and Carlos Santana is good for harmonic minor.