Page 1 of 2
EU Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding has urged the European Commission to take legal action against France over its deportations of Roma (Gypsies).

Ms Reding called French actions a "disgrace". She deplored the fact that a leaked official memo contradicted assurances given to her by France.

Nearly 160 were flown out of the French capital to Bucharest, and 69 out of Marseille, AFP news agency reports.

All had agreed to be repatriated in exchange for cash payments of about 330 euros ($423, £274) per adult and 100 euros per child.

More than 1,000 people have been deported to Romania and Bulgaria since late July, when President Nicolas Sarkozy linked illegal Roma camps to crimes such as prostitution and child exploitation.

On Monday the French press published a leaked French official memo suggesting the Roma had been specifically targeted by the authorities.

The memo contradicted assurances to EU officials from Mr Besson and Mr Lellouche that immigrants were being treated on a case-by-case basis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11301307

Basically France paid a bunch of gypsies to leave (well, "most were voluntary"). Does this seem right to you? I personally don't think so.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
the EU.

Fucking disgrace. Makes me proud to be European, mind, and even a French resident - the opposition to this is massive.
we have a problem.The French are still there.
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Well, living in a country with a really great number of gypsies (Hungary), I can perfectly understand Sárközy's point of view. The only thing I don't understand is why OUR government doesn't do anything like this...
Shit, the EU is doing stuff now? I just checked a few minutes ago and read France was going to ban burqas, and I 'd.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by TomusAM
Man, the French should just throw a white flag over this idea.

EDIT: ^ and they ought to.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by daswalker
Well, living in a country with a really great number of gypsies (Hungary), I can perfectly understand Sárközy's point of view. The only thing I don't understand is why OUR government doesn't do anything like this...

Just keep shipping them east?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Just keep shipping them east?

Well, isn't that where they came from?
Quote by metallicafan616

EDIT: ^ and they ought to.

I know, didn't expect such a quick update
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
They've already banned the burqa through parliament. Our only hope for France to not make a xenophobic tosser out of itself now is the Cour Constitutionnel.
Quote by gabcd86
They've already banned the burqa through parliament. Our only hope for France to not make a xenophobic tosser out of itself now is the Cour Constitutionnel.

This. Stupidest shit and I don't even.

Your religion requests you wear a veil and you voluntarily comply? Yup, that's an arrestin'.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Your father requests you wear a veil as a sign of submission to an oppressive religion otherwise you'll be kicked out of your house? At least they are making it so that if they can prove they are forced to wear it then the father/man can be appropriately punished.

EDIT: also, find somewhere in the Qu'ran saying you must wear a veil/burkha.

Quote by metallicafan616

EDIT: also, find somewhere in the Qu'ran saying you must wear a veil/burkha.

I believe you have a problem with the word "request".

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Find somewhere in the Qu'ran requesting you wear a veil/burkha. There are modesty laws, but those are simply cultural clothes that helped in the insane heat of the middle east. Their current usage in the west is simply oppression from the religion.

The provision for heavy punishment for men forcing women to wear the burqa is good.

Fining a woman 500€ for how she wants to dress?

Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité.... Mariane, where have you gone?
Unfortunately, being legal would make it much harder to do so.

France are doing the right thing, theres so many gypsies here im surprised it hasn't been renamed "gypsie land" or something
There's nothing to stop them from going back, which most of them will.

Gypsies are a pain in the ass in Romania too, more so than in Western Europe. shall we load them into catapults and launch them into India?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Last edited by Mad Marius at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by Limace
France are doing the right thing, theres so many gypsies here im surprised it hasn't been renamed "gypsie land" or something

As an American, seeing a supposedly progressive European nation having such a reactionary, irrational, and xenophobic response to a foreign ethnicity make me think:

Maybe we're not so different after all.
I'll play it and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis
Quote by Mad Marius
There's nothing to stop them from going back, which most of them will.

Gypsies are a pain in the ass in Romania too, more so than in Western Europe. shall we load them into catapults and launch them into India?

North Korea. Those people can use some Gypsy passion.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
The way that the Roma are treated in Europe is an absolute ****ing disgrace.

Quote by metallicafan616
Your father requests you wear a veil as a sign of submission to an oppressive religion otherwise you'll be kicked out of your house?

Go to Mass every sunday or we'll kick you out of the house
Do well in exams or we'll kick you out of the house
Do this long list of chores or we'll kick you out of the house

Ban Mass, overachieving, and chores and a whole bunch of other stuff.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by metallicafan616
Unfortunately, being legal would make it much harder to do so.

I love your logic, if it's difficult to catch criminals, just make more things illegal and they'll be easier to catch!
Being american, I don't even know what gypsies are, other than the fact that theyre from romania. Are they soposed to be annoying, or something?
Quote by bogeaqyt
Being american, I don't even know what gypsies are, other than the fact that theyre from romania. Are they soposed to be annoying, or something?

They are from India. And annoying is not the right word.

Dangerous rather (ok, 'only' in 99% of the cases...)
There's a good reason you're frightened to death if you have to walk through a street of gypsies. It's like crossing Harlem with a sign on your back saying 'I hate n1ggers.'. Difference is that you don't need the sign here.

Oh, and of course the governments say that it's perfectly ok, we have to be tolerant.
Them saying 'We'll kill all Hungarians' (or even doing so!!!) is ok, but a Hungarian person just giving a slap to a gypsy ends up sending the white guy to prison for like 3 years (true story).

Also, there is a good reason any neightborhood you send gypsies to becomes literal garbage yard in less than a year (yes, even the most elite ones).
You wanna see how one of the (former) most elite neighborhoods of Slovakia looks like a few years after the government gave gypsies the opportunity to move in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i6ugDhXgLY

(it's in Hungarian, but I guess it's enough to just see it)
No, it's not a unique case at all.

There were uncountable attempts of integration all over Europe, all of them failed. They just can't act like normal people. In fact, they don't even want to.

It's easy to talk about tolerance from hundreds of miles away, but trust me, people in Europe are really at the point where they just can't take any more.
Last edited by daswalker at Sep 14, 2010,
So gypsies all think the same way eh? I bet Hungarians are all the same too.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
So gypsies all think the same way eh? I bet Hungarians are all the same too.

I bet you are from the USA...
You've made quite an ass of yourself

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
You've made quite an ass of yourself

At which point exactly?
I described the current situation in Central-Europe which you seemingly couldn't take seriously, and I'm the ass. Great.

As I said before, it's easy to talk about tolerance from hundreds (rather thousands) of miles away...
Last edited by daswalker at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by daswalker
At which point exactly?
I described the current situation in Central-Europe which you seemingly couldn't take seriously, and I'm the ass. Great.

As I said before, it's easy to talk about tolerance from hundreds (rather thousands) of miles away...

Yeah, you're right about that one, there's nowhere else in the world with similar problems.
Quote by daswalker
At which point exactly?

You described gypsies as all being the same, then took one statement of mine and either assumed my location or (more likely) looked at my profile to prove a point. You made an ass of yourself when you generalized one image to a people, then one image to a diverse country of over 300 million, and also when you assumed no one else has issues with tolerance.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
You described gypsies as all being the same, then took one statement of mine and either assumed my location or (more likely) looked at my profile to prove a point. You made an ass of yourself when you generalized one image to a people, then one image to a diverse country of over 300 million, and also when you assumed no one else has issues with tolerance.

I was right about your location or not?
Quote by daswalker
I was right about your location or not?

You'd be better at changing the subject if I wasn't on to you.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Page 1 of 2