So, last week i got a mesa boogie 200 watt, all tube buster bass amp. Its wonderful (heavy SOB though) and i couldnt be more happy. However, since my last amp was crap i just cranked it up and played i dont know what to do tone wise. Could anyone give me some tips/knob settings? Im looking for a death/black metal tone.

The amp Knob set up is

Volume
Treble
Mid
Bass
Master
7 EQ sliders
EQ on, of and ftsw selector

Thank you for your help
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
Quote by dubes216
I say just try and make it sound like this, and you will be fine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iOmo0ZuyNk

Lol i would love to but A. I dont have a distortion pedal and B. I dobt even kiw how to get as good of a sound even without the distortion
There are MANY metal tones. What kind do you want?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
sCo0p Teh mIdS t0o Zer0000!!! Its foR tEh Br00tAlz!
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by lordofthefood1
There are MANY metal tones. What kind do you want?

Idk just a good classic death metal tone. Maybe a lil like alex webster that will really stick out in the mix. I will definately make a tone that i like but im looking for a good
You say you just got a full tube mesa head? That IS your distortion, seriously, crank that gain.

I boost my treble a little, leave the bass flat and boost the mids (especially high mids) to hell, coupled with a shit load of tubey pre-amp gain and my warwick streamer $$, it produces a god-like metal tone (IMO).

If you want to stick out in the mix, mids and gain is the way to go, definitely. Cuts through like a hot knife through butter.
Last edited by budget bassist at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by budget bassist
You say you just got a full tube mesa head? That IS your distortion, seriously, crank that gain.

I boost my treble a little, leave the bass flat and boost the mids (especially high mids) to hell, coupled with a shit load of tubey pre-amp gain and my warwick streamer $$, it produces a god-like metal tone (IMO).

Tis a combo and it aint got no gain oh and can you explain that using numbers lol i dun get teh amp lingo
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
Tis a combo and it aint got no gain oh and can you explain that using numbers lol i dun get teh amp lingo

Numbers? Not all the numbers on the controls are the same on all amps.

In laymens terms:
bass - in the middle
middle - way up
treble - up

(if you have low mid/mid/high mid controls, put a good boost on the high mids too).

What model is the amp specifically? I can't imagine a tube amp wouldn't have a gain control...

EDIT: ok, i read your first post a little better. "volume" is gain, crank that up until you hear the overdrive. It's fine to push tube amps a little

Use the EQ faders so that they make an upside down smile, if you see what i mean, but bring the treble side up more than the bass side.
Last edited by budget bassist at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by budget bassist
Numbers? Not all the numbers on the controls are the same on all amps.

In laymens terms:
bass - in the middle
middle - way up
treble - up

(if you have low mid/mid/high mid controls, put a good boost on the high mids too).

What model is the amp specifically? I can't imagine a tube amp wouldn't have a gain control...

EDIT: ok, i read your first post a little better. "volume" is gain, crank that up until you hear the overdrive. It's fine to push tube amps a little

Use the EQ faders so that they make an upside down smile, if you see what i mean, but bring the treble side up more than the bass side.

Thanks, that explained it quite well. Ill try it out and tell ya how it goes
Lower your action too. A big part of his tone is the strings hitting the fretboard. Dig into your strings.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by budget bassist
No worries mate

Thanks, i feel like cliff burton :P i love the treble but i could never use it cause it would always be to thin cause i Never used enough mids. Also, i never used volume as distortion but it works great. But is it ok just to use master as the volume knob and will having my volume always cranked up damage my amp?
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
Thanks, i feel like cliff burton :P i love the treble but i could never use it cause it would always be to thin cause i Never used enough mids. Also, i never used volume as distortion but it works great. But is it ok just to use master as the volume knob and will having my volume always cranked up damage my amp?

Mids are key to a metal sound that cuts through.

My amp has a tube preamp and solid state output, and i usually have the gain cranked up a fair bit unless i want a clean sound, and then use the output (master on yours) to control the overall level. Having the gain turned up should be fine, they're designed so that you can turn them up and get some overdrive out of them, same as guitar valve amps. If you're in a live situation you could even crank the master as well and get some bad-ass distortion going on