Sup people on UG, I'm not really satisfied with my ton. Im 22, been playing for 2 years, and have been using this crappity Line 6 Spider III 15 Amp and a Jackson JS32T King V(which I just picked up recently). Even with the guitar upgrade, im not happy with my tone. I probably need to replace the amp.

I mostly play classic metal and classic rock, like 60s/70s, early 80s, dipping a LITTLE BIT into the 90s, but almost no modern stuff, and have a budget of ~200 dollars.
You could get something like a Peavey Vypyr 30 (which I would consider an upgrade) but honestly with the genres you play being so diverse and the limited budget you are better off dealing with what you have for now and saving up.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You could get something like a Peavey Vypyr 30 (which I would consider an upgrade) but honestly with the genres you play being so diverse and the limited budget you are better off dealing with what you have for now and saving up.

okay well, playing metal is definitely a top priority. I can sacrifice classic rock tones if need be.
Quote by NosralTserrof
Vox Valvetronix is good. However, its very muddy.

I hear people say that a lot, what do you mean by "muddy"

like, unclear?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
muddy = poor note definition. The VT's are OK but I wouldn't get one for metal.

You could sell the Spider and get a Vypyr....that is what I would do.

what is on your craigslist (what city are you in)?

uh I live in Troy... its in the Detroit Metro ish area, bit north of there
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I know Troy, MI

What is your max budget if you sold off some stuff?

im guessing like 250-275
Honestly, the best way to find the tone you're looking for is to go to a music shop and start testing them out. See if they have a guitar similar to the one you are using, or better yet, see if you can bring your own in and play on it. More than likely, you'll find the amp you're looking for.

My personal recommendation is any Randall solid-state. I'm currently using the RG75DG3, and it serves all of my needs. I believe Randall has an updated version of this amp out now, but I have yet to try it.

But to be honest, your amp should have been your first upgrade. A crappy guitar can still sound good through a decent amp, but a good guitar probably won't sound good through a horrible amp.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Not to bash the other guy but the Randall SS stuff is considered meh. I don't think I've ever played it so I'll shut up.

I created this search before you finalized your budget but here you go. To his point, it is usually wiser to upgrade amps before guitars. Yes go play some stuff at the store.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&srchType=A&minAsk=200&maxAsk=400

So some of these are over budget but there some decent amps in here. The Peavey Classic 30 can do up to thrash metal. There is a Vox AD50VT. Crate Blue Voodoo (needs cab). Line 6 DuoVerb. Line 6 Flextone III. Carvin MTS. Marshall AVT (some people dig it). Crate Shockwave. Line 6 Flextone II.

Stay away from the Marshall MGs and that Raven

Again, a lot of the better amps are just slightly over your budget so to my point about saving up a bit more. That or get the Vypyr 30 or 75.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Agreed..

With the genres mentioned...sustained notes not going the distance will be a major
obstacle. I'd pass on budget amps and wait. You just end up getting something a tad
better and go through 3 amps before you get the one you should have had to begin with.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
I
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Not to bash the other guy but the Randall SS stuff is considered meh. I don't think I've ever played it so I'll shut up.

I created this search before you finalized your budget but here you go. To his point, it is usually wiser to upgrade amps before guitars. Yes go play some stuff at the store.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&srchType=A&minAsk=200&maxAsk=400

So some of these are over budget but there some decent amps in here. The Peavey Classic 30 can do up to thrash metal. There is a Vox AD50VT. Crate Blue Voodoo (needs cab). Line 6 DuoVerb. Line 6 Flextone III. Carvin MTS. Marshall AVT (some people dig it). Crate Shockwave. Line 6 Flextone II.

Stay away from the Marshall MGs and that Raven

Again, a lot of the better amps are just slightly over your budget so to my point about saving up a bit more. That or get the Vypyr 30 or 75.

Agreed. I like my peavey classic very much for thrash, and its even better for the other genres you like.

Carvin mts could be found cheap used, as could laney aor and protube.