Hey guys.
I have a buzzing problem and I just can't get rid of it.
When I try to play a power chord on my clean channel I always get an annoying buzz sound and I tried everything to make it dissapear (different strings, action, different holding positions etc.) but it keeps on buzzing and annoys the hell out of me.
I know it is my ring finger that is the root of all evil since my hands are rather big and my ring finger has to sit in the middle of the frets (that is when I am playing near the 9th fret).
Do you guys know how to solve this problem? Please help me or I will cut of my ****ing hand and start playing the drums.
Last edited by swedish_chef at Sep 14, 2010,
Please help me or I will cut of my ****ing hand and start playing the drums.

Playing the drums with one hand can be difficult.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
there is the possiblility its coming from your trem, try adjust the trem on the strings that are buzzing
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Fred Buzz..

Isit the atcual guitar, have you tried playing through a different amp?

And when you play a the string on its own does it buzz?

Bit of a noob answer lol.
@ gacharya

I'm just going to play for def lepard, so that shouldn't be a problem.

@100%

I don't have a trem on my guitar so that shouldn't be the problem. I own a Epiphone Les Paul Standard I might ad ;-)

@smokeysteve22

Yeah it is the actual guitar. It will buzz whether I play trough any amp or not.
I have no problems playing single notes, given the fact that I can place my fingers properly on the fretboard while doing that. But playing a power chord is a different caliber since I have to squeez my pinky and ring finger together as much as I can to get a good tone out of it. But that makes it impossible to play properly
I've had fret buzz on guitars with a tune-o-matic bridge before, I doubt its your fingers cuasing the problem, usually its the string being too close to the frets towards the bottem of the neck.

In which case, you need to explore you options with
Intonation, action of your strings, and quite possibly but not defiantly - adjusting your truss rod.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
adjusting your truss rod.

Ta-Dah!
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Vypor
I've had fret buzz on guitars with a tune-o-matic bridge before, I doubt its your fingers cuasing the problem, usually its the string being too close to the frets towards the bottem of the neck.

In which case, you need to explore you options with
Intonation, action of your strings, and quite possibly but not defiantly - adjusting your truss rod.

Are you sure? I took it to a local shop to get it set up right and it is still buzzing.
I think it is just the way I have to place my ring finger on the fretboard.

I hold the chord just like that. And it keeps on buzzing wether I press as hard as I can or touch the fredbord lightly.
Whyyy......am I doing something wrong?
Quote by gacharya
Playing the drums with one hand can be difficult.

Tell that to Rick Allen
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Tell that to Rick Allen

Lepparddd!
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I hate Fred too man, it's cool. ^_^

If your ring finger won't hold the note down clearly, check that you're pressing down with the tip of the finger, right behind the fret.

And I presume it's only powerchords and only the middle note? You should really check that.
Well, so you found out it's not the electrics. It's your fingering if the single notes sound well. I guess the problem's the ring and pinky finger together. So what I would do is either putting the hand a bit more diagonal to the neck (rather than straight 90° which a lot of people tend to do). And only use the fingertips!!!!! The very tip of the fingers should do the trick. I have big fingers, too and I play a strat mostly, it's your grabbing technique in my opinion!

Or you do it "American" style (sorry, but I only see American guitarists do it :P) and barré with the ringfinger instead of using both fingers. But I wouldn't recommend that.

Simo
so you went to school to relearn how to smile?
Thanks for the advice so far.
But guess what....still buzzing.
I only use my fingertips and my ring finger is as close to the fret as possible.
Still buzzing.....what the hell?
And I can't use more pressure. It stops buzzing but only when I press the strings as hard as I can (and I am not weak in any way).

I just don't get it.
Are you sure you are even getting fret buzz?

Try to get a sound clip, and post it here.
Well....yeah^^
It is annoying and it makes a buzzing sound.
I will try to record a clip as soon as possible but I need to get some rest right about now.
Stupid fret buzz -.-'.
I just don't get it.

As a lot of people have pointed out - it could be a problem with the guitar. Ask a decent guitar tech to set it up and tell him about your problem and set up preferences.
I already did that. I went to two different guitar techs and both had their fun setting up my guitar. Yet the buzz sound remains.
The strings aren't to close to the fretboard, either.
maybe ur pickups have high output and ur mistaking the fretbuzz for sound clipping?
If ur having trouble getting power chords down with ur 3rd finger, try using ur pinky and bar it.
Try NOT playing the octave
Does this happen with open power chords?
Maybe ur picking to hard
Maybe u have a really shit distortion
Maybe u have a high fret (maybe the guys who set it up, didn't file the frets level)
Try a different guitar (maybe even teh same model and shit?) and see if it's there

That's all i can think of.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
it's ur sound clipping (try rolling off the volume knob)
and tune ur guitar
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by julzius
it's ur sound clipping (try rolling off the volume knob)
and tune ur guitar

I know the sound is clipping a little bit. But that's because I recorded it through my computer. It is definately not the amp that is causing all the trouble.
I can hear the buzz when I play my guitar without any amp.

By the way. My guitar is in tune...i checked it twice :-D
if it's in tune... then the intonation is out.
I don't hear too bad of fret buzz.

My ibanez has buzz when it's played unplugged, but doesn't have any when plugged in.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
I'm sorry for bringing this up again, but the buzzing noise is pissing me of even more than my sister does (and that means A LOT).
I searched the internet in hopes of finding a clue to why the buzzing noise occurs. The guitar seems to be set up right (done by a professional) so I think we can leave that out of the equation.
My biggest Problem is that I usually play without any amp. I live in an apartment-sharing-community and I have very limited space which makes it impossible for me to use my big amp(it is catching dust in my parents house).

Since I do not use any amp i just plug the string fairly hard so I can get a good and loud tone out of my electric guitar ( I don't have any money for an acoustic guitar).
I tried to press the strings as hard as I can (as stated before) and I place my fingers as close to the frets as possible with mediocre results.

I figured out that my problem is due one of the following factors (By the way. I use 0.9-0.42 Strings)

1. I am a weak pussy and don't deserve to be able to play guitars (don't you dare to pick this option ^^)

2. I shouldn't plug the strings as hard as I do right now

3. I should work on my finger work

4. I have to press even harder

5. Satan hates me.

I guess it has something to do wiht how hard I plug my strings. When I watch other guitarists play, they don't seem to plug the strings as hard as I do.

Any recomandations would help.
yeah. its probably option 2. i dont think you should plug the strings at all. best to just stick with picking them.

also have you made sure the frets are level?
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
Quote by satanicgurrl
yeah. its probably option 2. i dont think you should plug the strings at all. best to just stick with picking them.

also have you made sure the frets are level?

Oh....sorry^^ Of course I meant pick ;-)

Yeah. The last time I checked, they were. How hard do you guys pick your strings?
Quote by swedish_chef

1. I am a weak pussy and don't deserve to be able to play guitars (don't you dare to pick this option ^^)

Not a chance. If kids less than 10 years old can play guitar decently, it has absolutely nothing to do with strength.

Quote by swedish_chef
2. I shouldn't plug the strings as hard as I do right now

I think you mean pluck. It could be this, but again it's unlikely.

Quote by swedish_chef
3. I should work on my finger work

This would be my best guess.

Quote by swedish_chef
4. I have to press even harder

No. It sounds like you are already pressing way harder than you need to. You don't need any added tension.

Quote by swedish_chef
5. Satan hates me.

Also a possibility.

Quote by swedish_chef
Any recomandations would help.

Try holding down the chord but playing the notes separately. With the string that you are getting the buzz on, move your finger around a bit until it stops. And also don't pick too hard. It doesn't take much to make the strings sound.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.