Poll: What is the best option?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is the best option?
Attempt to fix it on my own.
5 21%
Buy a new/used arcade.
3 13%
Buy a new 4GB and tamper with my old hard drive.
2 8%
Buy a new 250GB.
14 58%
Voters: 24.
Page 1 of 2
This is a thread about my Xbox 360. I don't care what your console of preference is, go troll in another thread. That being said, this is the situation:

Well about a month ago I got the E74 error on my Xbox 360. I sent it in to Microsoft to be fixed since it was under warranty. However, when they received it, they said that is was tampered with and would not fix it. While it technically was tampered with, their evidence wasn't even due to my tampering [** I'll explain at the bottom of the post for those who are interested]. So I still have a broken Xbox and repairing it will probably cost just as much as buying an arcade (or at least cover a good portion of the cost of a new console). I also just recently bought a new 120GB hard drive and I'm basically finished with making another set of custom plates for my console. I'm not sure what to do, there's technically four options I have at the moment:

- Attempt to fix the error with a guide found online (possibly for good, possibly just for a few months) that requires me to mess with the motherboard and other components.

- Buy a "new" Xbox 360 arcade (although it looks like I might have to get it used since the old consoles are hard to find new)

- Buy a new Xbox 360 4GB and tamper with my current 120GB hard drive so I can use it in the new console.

- Buy a new Xbox 360 250GB. (Probably the safest and easiest option but also the most expensive.

What do my fellow Xbox 360 gamers think would be the best option?

**Extended explanation of my tampering:
I customized my Xbox a while ago (painted all of the plates and other components that could be painted). However, when I sent it in, I used my friends plates that were stock, nothing painted on or anything. I was very meticulous when I swapped the plates and I was even able to keep the security stickers on. However, they thought that a scrunched up sticker right next to the power supply plug (that isn't even part of their security measures) was a sign of tampering. So my hard work was put to waste by a sticker that they technically put on and messed up.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
I think the problem you're having is you're trying to apply logic to Christianity, a religion based on a cosmic zombie
Not to be the guy who doesn't really help, but you'll get a lot better answers in the Gaming Thread.
Well I don't know how experience you are with repairing expensive electronics, but I would probably go with getting the used console from an establishment that includes some kind of warranty with those things.
Quote by UraniYum
Not much of a Metal God are you?

If you're not going to be helpful, at least make a funny and/or witty comment.

Quote by guylee
Well I don't know how experience you are with repairing expensive electronics, but I would probably go with getting the used console from an establishment that includes some kind of warranty with those things.

I have no experience fixing any electronics.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
I think the problem you're having is you're trying to apply logic to Christianity, a religion based on a cosmic zombie
Last edited by xMetalGodx at Sep 14, 2010,
Get a PS tripple
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by rocker222
Get A Ps3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1. But that's not what he asked so GTFO.

GEDIT: And if you don't have any experience with this kind of thing, don't try to fix it yourself. You're just gonna end up breaking something and spending even more money.
Last edited by guylee at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by rocker222

You know why they call it an XBOX 360? Cause when you see it, you turn 360 degrees and walk away.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
buts ps3's have no games lol

oh no we ant starting this.
Quote by rocker222

LULULULULZ! UR SO HILARIOUS!!1!

>.>

Too bad that A. I have a large amount of 360 games so buying a PS3 would be a stupid move financially - and - B. My friend has a PS3 so I have no need to buy one.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
Quote by georgakis187
You know why they call it an XBOX 360? Cause when you see it, you turn 360 degrees and walk away.

If you turned 360 degrees you would still be walking toward it.

GEDITAGAIN: Hey why don't you use that online guide to fix the one you have, then trade it in for a new/used one?
Last edited by guylee at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by bulldozerbob
Not to be the guy who doesn't really help, but you'll get a lot better answers in the Gaming Thread.

^This.

Also, you know exactly what your options are. Why in the hell did you have to make a thread on it? The Pit isn't going to make the choice for you. Only you can do that.

Unless you are here looking for my advice. In that case, I suggest you get a PS3.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Well for starters do anything BUT buy a new one if they are going to treat paying customers like dirt. I'd call support and talk to someone progressively higher in the ladder until you get a "yes" to repair it - if that fails, take your money elsewhere - buy another one used off someone while attempting to repair that one, then sell it off used once you have it running again.

Not surprised to hear about Microsoft doing that after listening to my roommates complain about Blizzard - once they get popular they decide they don't have to follow the "customer is always right" rule anymore since any one dissenting voice will be drowned out. Go figure, but such is the way of things, and one can hardly blame them for maximizing profits wherever they can.

In any case, try talking to them again - if that sticker wasn't even a security measure then tell them that - those phone jockeys are just told to say no and move on, so ask to talk to a supervisor, and repeat until you get someone with half a brain and the right to use it - it usually works out fine, especially when you are on the clearly right side to begin with. If not, you could still avoid losing money if your repair works, and still have one to game on in the meantime. Good luck!
Quote by georgakis187

I you turn 360 degrees you will still be facing it you plonker
Quote by georgakis187

Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by georgakis187

I'm hoping your joking because if you aren't, well, I'm going to have to start killing your extended family until you realize the context of that sentence.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
E74 errors suck ass that happened to my old xbox i tried fixing it (I took it apart in the past and fixed the red ring of death and a few other things) but i couldnt. ur best bet is just buying a new one.
Quote by georgakis187

Jesus christ this is the oldest troll in the book. People are still falling for this?

Haha clearly they are, as it shows above ^ ...fail
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by guylee
Well it wasn't funny. And you linked that pic from a certain unmentionable forum.

Are you retarded?
Not trying to troll here, but this is why I would buy a PS3, I've heard so many people complain about their Xbox breaking, can't count the number of times I've seen Facebook statuses along the lines of, "Got the RROD, FML " whereas I've never heard anyone say their PS3 is broken.
It just seems like the quality of machines is inferior to the PS3

If you're sticking with the Xbox, buy a brand new one and get some kind of extended warranty on it, from a well known, reputable store. It'll only a cost a few pounds/dollars more and you'll be protected when this happens again.
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by xMetalGodx
LULULULULZ! UR SO HILARIOUS!!1!

>.>

Too bad that A. I have a large amount of 360 games so buying a PS3 would be a stupid move financially - and - B. My friend has a PS3 so I have no need to buy one.

lmao then sell all of ur xbox360 games that dont have scratches on them, cause you are not gana get anything for the ones with scratches on them. i mean with all of the amazing games on the 360 like halo, gears of war, and.................. i cant think of anything else, eh why should i finish my paragraph the cd's are probably scratched anyway.
Quote by AJDrac
Well for starters do anything BUT buy a new one if they are going to treat paying customers like dirt. I'd call support and talk to someone progressively higher in the ladder until you get a "yes" to repair it - if that fails, take your money elsewhere - ... etc and more etc.

While I'd like to do that, I've already been without an Xbox for a month. Attempting to contact them, convincing them to fix it, send it back to be fixed, and then waiting for it to get back is not worth it in my eyes. Reach just came out and more good games are coming out soon as well, I'd rather not wait for another month or so to play any of them.

Quote by SilentHeaven109
Not trying to troll here, but this is why I would buy a PS3, I've heard so many people complain about their Xbox breaking, can't count the number of times I've seen Facebook statuses along the lines of, "Got the RROD, FML " whereas I've never heard anyone say their PS3 is broken.
It just seems like the quality of machines is inferior to the PS3

If you're sticking with the Xbox, buy a brand new one and get some kind of extended warranty on it, from a well known, reputable store. It'll only a cost a few pounds/dollars more and you'll be protected when this happens again.

Financially, I'd be taking more of a hit trying to buy a new PS3 and all the games that I own (not to mention I enjoy the Halo series and both Crackdown games, both exclusive to the 360). I don't disagree that they seem to be better built, it would just be more of a hassle trying to convert to the PS3 at this point.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
*sigh* Ok here's what you do. I've done this 3 times and gotten away scot-free.

1. Go to local Wal-Mart and buy a new Xbox in cash, the same version as yours.

2. Take it home, swap the serial stickers so your dead Xbox has the new one's serial stickers. Put everything back in the box as it was.

3. Bring it back to Wal-Mart and return the dead Xbox, using a lame excuse like "decided to get a PS3 instead".

4. ???????

5. Profit!
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Hay guys, I voided my warranty by tampering with my console and now they won't fix it! WTF?
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Acϵ♠

2. Take it home, swap the serial stickers so your dead Xbox has the new one's serial stickers. Put everything back in the box as it was.

3. Bring it back to Wal-Mart and return the dead Xbox, using a lame excuse like "decided to get a PS3 instead".

4. ???????

5. Profit!

Although the fact that you've had to do this 3 times more than confirms my post about their build quality...
Quote by Zombee
Hay guys, I voided my warranty by tampering with my console and now they won't fix it! WTF?

I know I'm at fault for customizing my stuff, but the thread is asking for opinions about what I should do now. So piss off and try to make yourself look good in another thread, unless you actually have a legitimate suggestion (which I highly doubt).

Quote by Acϵ♠

4. ???????

5. Profit!

I don't doubt that you did this, but I don't think I'd get away with it. Not to mention most stores are trying to get rid of their old style consoles to make room for the newer style. So at this point, even if I wanted to, I don't think I have the option.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
I'll sell you my brand new 250gig.
For sale:
Schecter C1 Classic.
Schecter 007 Elite.
Randall G2 Head.
Crate 4x12 cab.
Line 6 POD XT.
Samson PG2200 power amp.
Quote by georgakis187

I sigged that shit ahahahahahahaha
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
^ Like I said, I'll sell him mine.
For sale:
Schecter C1 Classic.
Schecter 007 Elite.
Randall G2 Head.
Crate 4x12 cab.
Line 6 POD XT.
Samson PG2200 power amp.
Quote by EMGPWNS
Get the new Xbox, it beeps when you turn it on!

REALLY?!

WELL HOT DAMN!

*drives off to nearest retail store*

but for cereal, I'm still in my seat waiting for some ACTUAL suggestions/opinions.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
Quote by xMetalGodx
REALLY?!

WELL HOT DAMN!

*drives off to nearest retail store*

but for cereal, I'm still in my seat waiting for some ACTUAL suggestions/opinions.

I will sell you my 2 month old 250gig, seriously.
For sale:
Schecter C1 Classic.
Schecter 007 Elite.
Randall G2 Head.
Crate 4x12 cab.
Line 6 POD XT.
Samson PG2200 power amp.
Quote by xMetalGodx

I already went over this. The Pit will not make your decision for you. Thats your job.

And also: Buying a PS3 is a just as much an "actual" suggestion as everything else. If you dont want to listen to the people who know better than to buy from a company who consistently fucks over their customers, thats your problem.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by doomded
I already went over this. The Pit will not make your decision for you. Thats your job.

And also: Buying a PS3 is a just as much an "actual" suggestion as everything else. If you dont want to listen to the people who know better than to buy from a company who consistently fucks over their customers, thats your problem.

Whats your deal man?

I'm not looking for people to make my decision, I'm trying to get ideas/suggestions/opinions. I've also stated in a reply that the PS3 really isn't an option. There's maybe a few people who legitimately posted a helpful response, but not enough for me to be done with this thread. All you're doing is coming off as a twat.

Edit: If all you know is stuff about the PS3, why the **** are you still in this thread? It's clearly not a thread that you'd be helpful in.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
Page 1 of 2