Well I've had my AC4 for about 3 months now and I love it (you can read my review in the review section!) except there was one pretty obvious problem. Most people will agree that there is very little headroom involved with the AC4 series from Vox...so I fixed it!

Today my new tubes came in; since there is only one preamp and one power tube I just switched out both from the Sovtek stock tubes. It comes with a 12ax7 and an EL84, so I put in a JJ 12AT7 and WOW! If you own an AC4 you can not avoid making this change in my opinion.

I suppose to make this thread legit; discuss other tube switching successes/fails you have had.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Congrats on finding tube Nirvanna.

After playing tube swap with my Mesa Lonestar, finally installed a quad of 6L6 tubes in it. I'm happy. Run them on the Tweed setting and they really sound nice. Also replaced the stock power tubes in my Peavey VK112 and it has improved a bunch. It went from humming to silent. Haven't done a thing with my Rivera Sedona ES, except replace a noisy reverb tube.
The volume is just about the same at given volume knob positions. It used to break up at about 10 o'clock which didn't do me much good...now it doesn't break up until about 1pm depending on your pick attack. So to answer you in a word, nope.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Another good tube is the 5751, which has roughly the gain of a 12AT7, but it has the overall output and warmth of a 12AX7.

Breathed new life into my Randall RM100 in the PI. Made it sound like I had paid an extra $200-500 for it
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores