Hey, ive been looking at the Fender P Bass Special, the MIM one, its about £550 It looks good to me, all good reviews, aparently the sound is very versitile because of the pre-amp, ive not seen any particularly bad reviews, anyone had any experience with these before? All i know is i defo want a maple fret board one, and too me looks like a good buy, is it a good bass for its price range?
It is a good bass, it really is what it looks like, basically a P and a J mashed together. I'd look for one used first, since there's always money to be saved by looking for used Fender's, but it'd be a good buy new too.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Miss G had one - is she ever around here any more? Can't think of any other UGers that owned that bass. I really wanted one for a while after I saw a video with Nick Oliveri playing one but never found one in a shop to try it.
I have a MIM Deluxe active P bass with a noiseless single coil jazz pickup in the bridge position. I can get a wide variety of sounds just by adjusting the controls on the guitar.Although with the pickup selector rolled back to the bridge pickup it sounds very weak
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
Mine is just like hers only black. I just ordered a gold badass III bridge and Gold Hipshot tuners with a drop D last week.
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
I have a '92 MIA P Bass Special. It's lovely. I'm in love with the versatility of it.

So good bass all round? Would you recomend it as the best bass i coul get for that price range?
Quote by SamWhiteBASS
So good bass all round? Would you recomend it as the best bass i coul get for that price range?

I love Fenders (and Squiers) but their MIM series is a bit hit and miss for the price. They don't really offer much more than the CV, VM and Deluxe Squiers, just a Fender label.

For £550, you could get a second hand MIA Fender instead anyway.
Quote by Spaz91
I love Fenders (and Squiers) but their MIM series is a bit hit and miss for the price. They don't really offer much more than the CV, VM and Deluxe Squiers, just a Fender label.

For £550, you could get a second hand MIA Fender instead anyway.

I dont really want to go for a second hand MIA purley because it would be a p-bass standard, and i really want the J/P combo and the pre amp, Thats why im looking at this bass, i know there is a MIA version but there are like $2000 new? Thats like £1100 if my conversion is correct? And i doubt i second hand one of these would be in my price range... :/
I will say that there is definitely not a better active p/j bass in that price range. Go and try one out and if you like it then buy it.

I will also say that a Squier Jaguar bass (PJ) with an East Preamp would be amazing and £100 cheaper.
They dont seem to sell them in any music shops anywhere even close to where i live... Thats why im asking on here you see. And il check out one of them too if i cant find one!
Slightly O/T - Izhar, that's a Precision Plus, bud! Here's mine.

Back O/T... you'll be lucky to find a S/H Special in this country, I'd imagine. How about looking for the Precision Deluxe, the one with the 'bucker at the bridge? That was a rather good bass, and there were a few sold here at the time.
Quote by creepingjesus73
Slightly O/T - Izhar, that's a Precision Plus, bud! Here's mine.

Back O/T... you'll be lucky to find a S/H Special in this country, I'd imagine. How about looking for the Precision Deluxe, the one with the 'bucker at the bridge? That was a rather good bass, and there were a few sold here at the time.

Aww man that thing is beautiful!
Anyway, im not fussed about buying one new, ide prefare a second hand one obviously because of the price, but i can just about scrape together enough for a new one...
And how much is a Second Hand Precision Deluxe? I like the idea od a 'bucker at bridge but if its out of my price range then well... its out of my price range!
I have there blizzard Pearl with rose wood version, and its my go to bass especially for recording. I've had mine forever and it still blows me away how versitle it is. I say get it

Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Quote by killcram187
I have there blizzard Pearl with rose wood version, and its my go to bass especially for recording. I've had mine forever and it still blows me away how versitle it is. I say get it

I was gunna get that colour but like i said with maple, i just prefare the feel of them. Whats the colour look like in person, it seems to be nice on the website but does it look any different in person?
Quote by SamWhiteBASS
I was gunna get that colour but like i said with maple, i just prefare the feel of them. Whats the colour look like in person, it seems to be nice on the website but does it look any different in person?

Its Actually alot more silver looking online, ill take some pics for you
its more pearly/creamy and that blends pretty nicely with the gold pick guard, also in some lights its really light and in others its creamy
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Quote by killcram187
Its Actually alot more silver looking online, ill take some pics for you
its more pearly/creamy and that blends pretty nicely with the gold pick guard, also in some lights its really light and in others its creamy

Oh sounds very nice!
And yeah, that would be great if you could put a few pictures on!
pics as promised

indoors lights on:

indoors no lights but big ass window open:

and same as above but with a boss tuning pedal for refrence against white:
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware