Hey

I`am learning music theory and have a question about how to get that particular,evil. if you will, sound that avenged sevenfold has. Are they just diminished stuff harmonized?, if it is dimished. Thanks
Breakin` the Law!
As far as I know, they like to mix things up when they harmonise, basically just not using thirds all the time, they use 4ths, 6th, all kinds of things. But if you want that 'evil' sound, you can't go wrong with the good old flat 5th, but use it in moderation otherwise it'll just sound too dissonant.
ok thanks sorry I`m a bit of a noob still in theory but how do i flattened the fifth? do I just play the 5th interval note flat?
Breakin` the Law!
Last edited by rasta_mon at Sep 15, 2010,
You would lower the fifth degree by one semitone (half step).
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
A lot of their old stuff is played in some form of D, a LOT of their stuff xD. Some occasion G minor stuff, but D minor is almost a stick for them. They sometimes uses the b5, as in Bat Country and Beast and the Harlot. I've seen a lot of their harmonies use harmonization in thirds, however, they do not limit themselves to that.
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
A lot of their old stuff is played in some form of D, a LOT of their stuff xD. Some occasion G minor stuff, but D minor is almost a stick for them. They sometimes uses the b5, as in Bat Country and Beast and the Harlot. I've seen a lot of their harmonies use harmonization in thirds, however, they do not limit themselves to that.

you mean D as in drop D or you mean the key of D for scales and stuff?
Breakin` the Law!
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Both.

As far as I know, everything but "Almost Easy" is in Drop D.

OO ok, cool thanks bro.
Breakin` the Law!
they've got a few other songs that arnt Drop d (Buried alive, Warmness of the soul, and Dear god come to mind)

but most of syn's solos utilize the D natural minor, and hamonic scales, varied with harmonies and various sweep patterns etc

I'd suggest looking/analysing some of their songs to see what techniques/scales they use often
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Both.

As far as I know, everything but "Almost Easy" is in Drop D.

actually i believe its in Db after listening again, but dont quote me on that

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
They use a lot of octaves too. Since they sound like organs, it adds to the effect.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?