My current guitar is on its way out, and rather than repair it (again), I decided it was finally time to upgrade.

I mostly play post-hardcore and metalcore (think A Day to Remember, Parkway Drive, The Devil Wears Prada, and similar bands), and at the moment I'm looking at a $700-$800 max budget, but the lower the price the better.

I'm still completely open to suggestions, but my current preference (from what I've tried at GC) is an ESP LTD EC-1000. I've heard the 401 is almost identical (but costs less), and they were out of stock when I went to GC, so can anyone comment on that? I don't care about the aesthetics if that is the only difference.

Thanks for any replies!
Gear:
Guitars: ESP/LTD EC-400, Ibanez GRX20, Washburn D-10 M/TWR
Amp: Peavey Vypyr 75
Pedals: Digitech Whammy, Boss DS-1, Boss CH-1, Sanpera I

YDG!?
I don't know how much it is in the USA, but the Ibanez RG1570 Prestige is a really great guitar for the money.
definately get an esp, i play an mh 250. It sounds great and it is around $400ish (give or take)
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
the ec 1000 is a really good guitar (im deciding between one and an eclipse), especially if you get one with emg's

other guitars that could work are:
-any 1000 series LTD (400's tend to be quite a bit cheaper sounding/playing)
-schecter hellraiser C1
-Godin Redline 2
-PRS SE Mikael Akerfeldt
-Jackson DK2T

this, of course, is far from an exhaustive list but it ought to provide some food for thought. out of the bunch, im really a fan of the EC 1000 but i think the godin is the value leader
Quote by alexjg391
I don't know how much it is in the USA, but the Ibanez RG1570 Prestige is a really great guitar for the money.

It's $1000 new USD, and about $750 on eBay. The hardware on it looks kinda cheap for that much money, though, and I'm not so sure about going HSH as opposed to the dual-humbuckers I'm used to. I'll try it out at GC next time I'm near, but it's not looking very promising for me.

Quote by krehzeekid
the ec 1000 is a really good guitar (im deciding between one and an eclipse), especially if you get one with emg's

other guitars that could work are:
-any 1000 series LTD (400's tend to be quite a bit cheaper sounding/playing)
-schecter hellraiser C1
-Godin Redline 2
-PRS SE Mikael Akerfeldt
-Jackson DK2T

this, of course, is far from an exhaustive list but it ought to provide some food for thought. out of the bunch, im really a fan of the EC 1000 but i think the godin is the value leader

I definitely plan to get EMGs on it (I'd prefer 81/85, but that can be fixed easily). The JB/59 combos is still good, but the 81/85 just suits my style better (IMO).

As for the recommendations, I've never heard of the Godin, and it does have 81/85s, so I'll definitely check out the Redline. I would, however, like to buy used (for budget reasons), and I can't seem to find any used Redline 2s, any advice on that front?

For the PRS, I can't find any specifics on the hardware (the pups specifically), do you know any details?

As for the Jackson, not too confident in the Alder body and SH2N pup, but I'll still give it a try at GC.
Gear:

YDG!?
ibanez ICT700
icemann!
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
I second the Godin redline (1 or 2-- the 1 is a bit cheaper than the 2 but doesn't have a neck pickup, so that's a deal breaker if you need the neck pickup but the 2 has both so you're good there-- I highly recommend Godin guitars).

I also second the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser-- very similar to LTD guitars such as the MH or H series. Get the Schecter if you like thicker necks.

The LTD is a great option. The LTD EC-1000 Deluxe series are great but if you are looking to play in Drop C and B and so forth then i'd recommend the MH-NT or H Deluxe series because of the longer scale. The EC-1000 can do drop B (the one guitarist in Parkway uses one actually-- could be a real ESP, not sure on that aspect, but regardless its still a 24.75 length). As for the 401 vs. 1000 series in the LTD line there are a few differences such as better tuners and slightly better wood and in some cases better quality on the 1000's (made in Korea) while the 401's are still really close they tend to have tuners that aren't as good and MIGHT not be as good quality-wise but if this is the case it would be a small difference (made in Indonesia).
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
I second the Godin redline (1 or 2-- the 1 is a bit cheaper than the 2 but doesn't have a neck pickup, so that's a deal breaker if you need the neck pickup but the 2 has both so you're good there-- I highly recommend Godin guitars).

Yeah, only one pickup would kill it...

I'll definitely check out the Redline 2, though. Those 81/85s look tempting.

I also second the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser-- very similar to LTD guitars such as the MH or H series. Get the Schecter if you like thicker necks.

How thick is the neck in comparison? I tried to try a Hellraiser C1 last time I went to GC, but they were out of stock (guess it's just one of the smaller GCs). I like thinner necks better, but if it's not Strat-thick, then I might try it out.

The LTD is a great option. The LTD EC-1000 Deluxe series are great but if you are looking to play in Drop C and B and so forth then i'd recommend the MH-NT or H Deluxe series because of the longer scale. The EC-1000 can do drop B (the one guitarist in Parkway uses one actually-- could be a real ESP, not sure on that aspect, but regardless its still a 24.75 length).

I usually do Drop D or Drop C, but the only time I went to Drop B was from lack of tuning, so I don't think that'll be an issue. I knew ADTR used to use the EC-1000 before they got Gibsons, but I wasn't aware Parkway Drive did, too. That's pretty strengthening for the EC-1000's case.

As for the 401 vs. 1000 series in the LTD line there are a few differences such as better tuners and slightly better wood and in some cases better quality on the 1000's (made in Korea) while the 401's are still really close they tend to have tuners that aren't as good and MIGHT not be as good quality-wise but if this is the case it would be a small difference (made in Indonesia).

Just to confirm, you're saying the difference is minimal between the 1000 and 401, right? I wouldn't mind tuning it every day if it saved me $100 (plus, it puts my tuner pedal to good use).

Edit: Also, on a somewhat related note, is there any difference between the EC, MH, and Viper versions of the LTDs other than the body shape? I'm only asking because the MH and Viper models of the 401 seem to be cheaper than the EC on eBay, and body shape doesn't make much of a difference to me (I know, I'm a cheap bastard :P).
Gear:

YDG!?
Last edited by YDG? at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by YDG?
Yeah, only one pickup would kill it...

I'll definitely check out the Redline 2, though. Those 81/85s look tempting.

How thick is the neck in comparison? I tried to try a Hellraiser C1 last time I went to GC, but they were out of stock (guess it's just one of the smaller GCs). I like thinner necks better, but if it's not Strat-thick, then I might try it out.

I usually do Drop D or Drop C, but the only time I went to Drop B was from lack of tuning, so I don't think that'll be an issue. I knew ADTR used to use the EC-1000 before they got Gibsons, but I wasn't aware Parkway Drive did, too. That's pretty strengthening for the EC-1000's case.

Just to confirm, you're saying the difference is minimal between the 1000 and 401, right? I wouldn't mind tuning it every day if it saved me $100 (plus, it puts my tuner pedal to good use).

Edit: Also, on a somewhat related note, is there any difference between the EC, MH, and Viper versions of the LTDs other than the body shape? I'm only asking because the MH and Viper models of the 401 seem to be cheaper than the EC on eBay, and body shape doesn't make much of a difference to me (I know, I'm a cheap bastard :P).

"but if it's not Strat-thick, then I might try it out." -- The Schecter is definitely thicker than a Strat, more like Gibson thick.

"Just to confirm, you're saying the difference is minimal between the 1000 and 401, right?" -- more or less yes. there shouldn't be a big difference.

"is there any difference between the EC, MH, and Viper versions of the LTDs other than the body shape? " -- slight differences yes. the most notable one other than shape and perhaps scale length (24.75 for EC and Viper, 25.5 for MH and H) is neck wood. EC and Viper has mahogany neck while the MH and H have maple necks-- not really a big difference but the mahogany on the EC/Viper may lend itself to a slightly thicker/warmer tone, but not very noticeable unless you're a tone freak.

If you're going below the 1000 series make sure you stick with the 400 series if the guitar is made in the last few years, the 300 level guitars fall a little short in comparison to the 400's but old 300's rival the 400's and in some respects may even be better than the newer 400's.
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Sep 15, 2010,
How about a Fender Strat??? They are a good guitar. Very versatile and easy to play because of the wide frets.

Just my opinion.

ron666
Quote by ron666
How about a Fender Strat??? They are a good guitar. Very versatile and easy to play because of the wide frets.

Just my opinion.

ron666

A Strat just isn't good for Hardcore. For more mainstream metal, yes, but it's impossible to get a good, heavy tone out of a Strat from my experience.

Also, I went to GC again, the one in my area doesn't carry Godin Redlines, but they did get some EC-401s and most of the other recommendations in stock. I couldn't tell any difference from the 1000 (aside from appearance) when I played a 401, so that's what I'm leaning towards. It'll probably be another month or so before I have enough spare cash, though, so more suggestions are always welcomed.
Gear:

YDG!?
Last edited by YDG? at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by YDG?
A Strat just isn't good for Hardcore. For more mainstream metal, yes, but it's impossible to get a good, heavy tone out of a Strat from my experience.

Also, I went to GC again, the one in my area doesn't carry Godin Redlines, but they did get some EC-401s and most of the other recommendations in stock. I couldn't tell any difference from the 1000 (aside from appearance) when I played a 401, so that's what I'm leaning towards. It'll probably be another month or so before I have enough spare cash, though, so more suggestions are always welcomed.

401 sounds like a good choice, if you do snag it be sure to post pics when you bring'er home