The Future

I know what you're thinking. Why should you feel sympathy for a man who takes no action? Well, there's a very thin line between taking no action, and simply watching the world go by. A very thin line, but a line nonetheless.

Maybe that's what I will do: watch the world go by. Maybe I will sit back and just let everything happen, whether it be good or bad. I will have accepted it as my communication with society. Maybe.

Maybe as a senior in high school, I'd do just that. Maybe I'd have no girlfriend, no weekends out spent with close friends, nothing. Maybe I could find solace in the fact that nothing would be able to hurt me, but this isn't the kind of thing a normal teenager would be doing.

Maybe I would let people pass me by, without a hello. Maybe I would regret it. Maybe that girl from my fourth block class might have liked me back, and maybe that kid who constantly ensnares me with his eyes would be my best friend. Maybe.

Maybe I would realize just why I would live such a sheltered life. I would take a dive, and shatter my skull on the pavement.

Maybe her name is Brittany, and maybe I begin talking to her. Maybe we will talk, and talk, and talk. Maybe I would have decided after hitting it off so well that I could ask her to homecoming. Then maybe it would hit me.

"My boyfriend is taking me," she would say.

Maybe I would sit there and accept something like that. Maybe I would just shake it off. Or, maybe, I would let that moment dominate the rest of my life.

That's why I'm talking to you today, with high hopes that maybe... just, maybe, you'll look past my quirks and accept me.

I would like to know what it's like to have a real friend.

I wrote this (relatively short) piece in the waiting room of a dentist's office on my phone. I've come to realize a couple things in my life will never remain the same after high school, and it's already too late for me to change who I am in the eyes of my peers. I hope you like it.

- James